8.05: Icon

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
8.XX: Icon

BEWARE SPOILERS
From Gateworld
An accident leaves Daniel Jackson stranded on another planet, apparently without the rest of the team. There he meets a woman named Leda, and stays at her farmhouse. While the world is not quite as technologically advanced as Earth, Daniel does find a radio, which he uses to try and contact Stargate Command, hoping that the Stargate is active when he is trying.

Daniel holds a bit of regret over coming to this world, as the team's arrival apparently sparks a violent conflict between two nations. Leda tries to reassure him that it was only a matter of time before the distrust between Caledonia and her country led to this conflict.

One of those behind the fighting may be Soren, a man who leads a segment of the planet's population who still worship the Goa'uld as gods -- though the Goa'uld have apparently not been to this world in recent memory.

Thanx to Gateworld for the inof for more info look to www.gateworld.net

:D

Post-Episode Discussion, SPOILERS in ENTIRE THREAD!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I was expecting not to like this episode, but I ended up being surprised. The plot concept is very much like New Ground, but the episode was pretty differant. The script was pretty cool, and although there was somewhat of a lack of SG-1 (sans Jackson), they appear a few times and even Jack gets enough screen time. My main gripe is that the production/prop team needs to put forth more effort in the weapons department. THE ALIENS WERE USING REVOLVERS AND AK-47S!!! In it's hayday, the show would have aliens weilding weird weapons like seen in New Ground, Beneath the Surface, ect. I don't mind guns that use the gunpowder concept, as long as they are not OBVIOUSLY Earth-Made weapons. Stuff like that, and Dean Stockwell wearing a TIE in Shadow Play...really irks me. It's not that hard to make the aliens seem somewhat alien!

I enjoy the episode, it was an interesting story. I specially love the part when they come to the stargate when the tourists were looking the exhibition of the stargate. It was hilarious. And the story of the conflict of the planet was interesting. It was a good episode.

Krystal :p

I agree with the weapons angle. They also used M1 Garands which was the standard WW2 infantry weapon for the US. What was with that? It was a fairly good episode overall but the weapons were just a tremendously glaring error in taking a money saving route. I pray this does not become a norm.

I think this episode was meant to be somekind of weird parable on the cold war. Two countires with WMD being used. Idealogy only thing that separates them. So the guns used sorta play to that.

But the story and the acting in this ep. Stopped me from even looking at the weapons that well.

ZachWZ

Yeah, It was a good episode overall I would agree. I am just into militaria quite a bit too and it is something that just kinda jumped right out at me personally. Will be interesting to see what they have to say on this when season 8 comes out on DVD in the audio commentary ;)

No, sorry. Ever since Hudolin left, the costumes and stuff have gone downhill. I did like the uniforms and tech (although it was VERY reminisicant of 50s and 60s US stuff), but the guns were just too glaringly human. I can suspend my disbelief only so far...

Other than that a good episode, yeah. Season 8 has yet to dissapoint, and by the looks of Affinity it won't for a while.

Atlantis: Childhood's End looks pretty crappy IMO, though.

Talking about glaring mistakes - Jared understood and was using the same military sign language thingys as Carter!

Otherwise, like said before, good episode. Lots of Daniel - sure way to keep me happy :D

I guess it's just the budget that prevents them from putting too much effort into the weapons. There were many different locations used; scenes in the bunker (lots of sandbags and old radios) and the farmhouse basement (more old radios), and a really bad matt painting of smoking chimneys over the city.

But I agree on the story being interesting (even though it was similar to 'New Ground') and so can forgive. I even forgive them being amazed that SG-1 were human ("we'll tell you why later") but not at all amazed that they spoke English (no explanation possible or probable).

I was a little confused by the Timeline though. It seems six months have passed, and all SG-1 did during that time was monitor the radio for Daniel. This is while the Atlantis team has been lost, Anubis has become a swirly mist, the other Goa'ulds are plotting against Earth, etc...

Pity they killed off Soran though. A character who believes that the Goa'uld are Gods and has that faith even though never having met one would have been an interesting comparison with a Jaffa.