FBI Attack on SG1 Archives Website

funny enough it's the downloads that got me wanting & waiting for the release of the episodes on DVD so that I could buy them. Canada being SOOOO behind everyone else & all, downloads or all that held me over 'til I was able to buy them....heck we were able to buy season 6 on dvd here before it got around to actually air ON the TV!

I agree about the frustration that people must feel when they have to wait 3 years to see a 'Stargate' episode. In the UK, 'Firefly' has still not been shown on a TV channel that more than a small fraction of the population can receive. I bought the DVD, but is that right?

Maybe, now that you can pay for official downloaded music, you will soon be able to pay for official downloaded TV too?

Just to add a few things that many people don't generally realise:

Unless it specifically says otherwise, any text, graphic, sound, video, photograph or information found on the Internet is copyrighted. The company or person that created that work owns it and has the exclusive right to redistribute it. The moment someone creates an original writing, piece of music, home page, or other material, it is copyrighted automatically. Copying copyrighted information without permission can result in legal action. The law is complicated, differs for every country, and there are exemptions for "Fair Use" but this really only applies in academic circles (if you are making any money from it then it will not apply.)

Copyright also extends to e-mail messages, text files, computer programs, images, Web pages and database files. A copyright notice is not required. Someone somewhere created every a smilie or desktop icon.

You may be violating someone's copyright if you copy images or blocks of text to another website; copy excerpts from online news services; or post transcripts of online discussions of others, even if you participated in the discussion.

Software is generally copyrighted, so you can't upload it without the permission of the owner. Shareware is still copyrighted, but many shareware authors include a license agreement that allows you to re-distribute the program. Even Freeware is still copyrighted and if uploaded must not be altered from its original form.

Some information on the Internet is in the "public domain" meaning that it's available for you to use any way you like. Examples of work in the "public domain" and that you are free to use are those that never had a copyright:

Ideas
Facts
Titles
Names
Short phrases
Blank forms

And also older works which have lost their copyright or for which copyright has expired due to their age. But you shouldn't assume material is available for your re-use unless it is specifically labelled "public domain."

And also remember that "Stargate" is also a trademark and a brand name. Permission must be granted to use trademarks, as their indiscriminate use can dilute the value of the mark. All companies are very protective about their logos and trademarks, and particular in how they are used.

In recent years Fox has targeted 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and 'X-Files' websites and Paramount has targeted 'Star Trek' sites. Paramount spokeswoman Susan Duffy was recently quoted as saying that the company's stance toward 'Star Trek' fan culture on the Net (encompassing more than 53 'Star Trek' related newsgroups, and more than 100,000 Web sites) has never changed. "Our policy has always been to protect our copyrights from infringement." Viacom recently confiscated signed photographs from a fan convention. These were the real signatures of the actors, but the photos were not authorised.

I'm not even sure that the disclaimers you see on websites, like this one at Heliopolis, have any legal value at all:

"Stargate SG-1, its characters and all related entities are property of Stargate SG-1 Productions (II) Inc., MGM Worldwide Television Productions Inc., Double Secret Productions, Gekko Film Corp and Showtime Networks Inc / The SciFi Channel. No copyright infringement is intended. This website, its operators, and any content on this site relating to "Stargate SG-1", its characters, or its distributors is not authorized by MGM, Stargate SG-1 Productions (II) Inc., or any personnel associated with "Stargate SG-1".

The stories included on this site are intended as fan fiction and not intended for commercial profit. The stories however are property of the author(s) and they retain all rights attached to the creation of such works as well as any and all independently created characters."