Re-casting Weir?

McHorde-Trooper

I was wondering if anyone knows why Dr. Weir's part was
re-cast?

i.e. Jessica Steen played the part for Stargate's
The Lost City parts 1 and 2, but Torri Higginson is now
playing the part of Dr. Weir.

I like Jessica Steen, but Torri Higginson is doing a fantastic job
in my opinion. I have no complaints. I just wonder why?

Edit: I found this tidbit of info:
http://www.gateworld.net/news/archive/0311_spinoffnews.shtml

. .
Reasons for the producers' decision not to include her character in Atlantis are unknown.
. .

This makes me think that there may not be solid info, I don't know.

Either way please share you're opinion / guesses.

I really don't know but I also think that Torri is doing an excellent job as Dr. Weir.
I think probably could be a lot of reasons maybe the other actress wasn't prepare to compromise to an series vs guest star roles. Who knows? Both are great actress, so there was no great loss.

Krystal :p

I dunno.. I kinda like the new Dr. Weir more anyways. She just has the look of a person that could still at least handle herself to some extent in the field, whereas the original was office decoration only imo.

Based on Lost City vs. New Order, Rising and Hide and Seek, I MUCH prefer Jessica Steen. I am adjusting slowly to Higginson, though.

I think Steen might have been dropped do to money. She has been in a few things and I don't think she lives in Canada. They went after a Canadian who would work for less money and wouldn't have the obligatory transportation problems and all that. Steen would have to move, and probably want more money...ect.

Ya, I loved the original SG-1 series, Im not sure where this show is going to go, but they can't stay in the little base they found forever.. hopefully its not too predictable, but so far it is.

I prefer Steen to Tori. The second actress doesn't have the presence, the authority, for me. Now, that might not be entirely her fault.

Warning....bit of a....[rant]
I am not sure that the writers have given Atlantis viewers enough to give her credibility. In Lost City we heard Weir's credentials, we saw her interact with our regulars well, and we saw her learning about the Stargate, Kinsey, and growing in her knowledge and her confidence. But, in Atlantis, the actress comes off as uncertain, a little whiney, and sadly, as having a bit of a crush.

Yes, the second Weir did have some interaction with DJ and Jack in the pilot. But, I still don't feel as though the second Weir has the respect and admiration of the ATL crew. And, if they don't feel it, I don't.

It's hard to put a finger on. But, let me try this way. Wasn't Weir an negotiations expert? She cannot noegotiate each week. What are her other credentials? The second actress just doesn't seem to have, well, the hutspah, to stand up to her crew let alone the bad guys. The first actress spoke her mind convincingly to the President and Kinsey. I miss her.

Again, I don't think it's entirely the second actress' fault. But, I think the writers need work harder. If she is a go-getter like O'Neill, then let's get her out of the Ancients' base and experiencing things on the planet. If she is to be more of the Hammond character, then we need to see the crew a bit more respecful and her a bit more authoritative.

Ugh. Hard to put a finger on. [/rant]

Edited due to creative spelling on my part.

Nyssa I think you're right about getting weir off base.
It would help her character a lot. Hopefully she'll get off planet
too.

Nyssa I think Weir's uncertainty can partly be that she is
in a very different situation than other times.

In SG1 during "New Order" she had the support of highly experienced
stargate personnel.

In Atlantic she has some mixed group of international military
and international scientists. Some of the team may have been
with her as part of the research team . . and certainly all of them
were trained, but with the urgency of the situation they may not
have operated as a cohesive team.

Weir is a civilian negotiator and leader, that has suddenly become
part of a military conflict where negotiation isn't an option.

All of that said . .

I think she has actually proved to be a strong leader. She takes charge.

A few people don't respect her authority. I am guessing that one
scientist that really has no respect for her will either become a traitor,
a deserter, or a red shirt (i.e. killed).

The new Weir is good....I think she's doing a great job....

Might want to send her some Oil of Olay for those Crows feet though

I think that the 1st Weir (steen) was too... forcefull and rash in a way to be a leader, she seemed somewhat childish compared to what the current Weir is.

Really didnt like Torris Weir to begin with - but she grew on me alot lol
Shes great :p

I think that the 1st Weir (steen) was too... forcefull and rash in a way to be a leader, she seemed somewhat childish compared to what the current Weir is.

Really didnt like Torris Weir to begin with - but she grew on me alot lol
Shes great :p

I could see how Steen would come across as to forceful.
Speaking of Steen . . did anyone grow up watching her on "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future"?

Anyway . . it still seems that the writers haven't quite understood how to use Weir's character. Her character should be more involved and make more logical decisions. She's supposed to be smart. The actress does her part, but you can only go so far with the scripts she's getting.