5.23: Relativity

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I really liked this episode, and can't remember it that well from the first time around. It's possible that I may have even missed it.

It begins with the first time Janeway inspected Voyager... but Seven of Nine is there, disguised as an Ensign. She discovers the place where a chronitron weapon will be hidden and activated in the future, but Janeway detects her presence in the Jefferies tube and Seven dies shortly after a Temporal Transportation.

Captain Braxton is aboard the Federation Timeship USS Realtivity, 500 years in the future. (Why could this not have been the next ST series? Though actually his second in Command does look a little like Daniels!)

Braxton retrieves Seven from nearly six years later and takes her to the future. She is briefed on her mission -- to discover who changed history and destroyed Voyager.

She is returned to a time two years after Voyager's launch, when they are in a battle with the Kazon. But is unable to discover who plants the weapon.

Four years later, just before the weapon is detonated, with Janeway's help she finds the culprit is actually Braxton himself, a future version suffering from Temporal Psychosis who bitterly blames Janeway and Voyager for everything that has happened to him.

(At the conclusion of 'Future's End' wasn't that timeline restored, so he didn't suffer the idignities he blames on Janeway?)

After a chase through the ship, Seven meets her past self. Seven has now time travelled too many times, so Janeway must return four years earlier and stop Braxton. Seven and Janeway are reintegrated; Braxton is to been given treatment for his condition.

Seven and Janeway promise to obey the Temporal Prime Directive -- never to talk about their experiences.

IMHO This was one of the best episodes of the whole series. :cool:

i loved this episode.

BRAXTON TO SEVEN: "Your Captain has a knack for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong especially when it comes to time travel.

In the episode he says she is responsible for three major temporal incursions. I can remember 2 of them. Whats the third?

I really enjoy time travel stories. :)

Janeway's temporal transgressions:

- trip back to the 1990s

- the episode where Voyager accidentally caused a planet's destruction; Janeway and Tom get pulled into the past, where they try to prevent the destruction from happening

- "Year of Hell"

- "Relativity"

- alternate universes - could be considered temporal transgressions; after all, Harry and Naomi are actually from a different universe from that of the rest of the Voyager crew. In the prime universe, these two are dead.