Robot Novels (Isaac Asimov)

Well.... to be honest, I have a sentimental fondness for "Robbie", despite its flaws, because it was the first Asimov story I ever read, at a very early age....

I also think that, despite some dated aspects where characters are concerned, "Liar!" is a very good story, as is "Lenny". But I suppose the best of his robot tales would include, from I, Robot: "Little Lost Robot", "Evidence", and "The Evitable Conflict"; otherwise: "Feminine Intuition", "The Bicentennial Man", The Naked Sun, Robots and Empire, and "-- That Thou Art Mindful of Him"....

Asimov was much more of the classic detective/mystery sort of tale than the hardboiled and such; he wrote quite a few mystery stories in his time, some of which are sf, but most of which are not.....

Interesting. I wonder what Robot story will come to mean that much to me.

Speaking about mystery i know Hardboiled is my favorite part of crime but that doesnt mean i dislike classic detective,mystery.

C. Augustine Dupin stories are one of the best detective stories i have read in any subgenre. I like Holmes too. Just because i despise Christie kind of mystery doesnt mean i dont like classic detective stories ;)

I will take Augustine Dupin over Marlowe any day of the week.

Asimov's robot novels, and I think the pre-empire books were written as mysteries, though there were a few times where he forgot to give enough information for the relevant clue to make sense before the end of the novel. granted he does a great "the butler did it" scene with all the suspects together, that or the main character describing the moment of revelation with another main character. but still when he forgets to mention a bit of technology that is treated as commonplace, but that was the KEY to the whole mystery, grumbling commences.

Asimov's robot novels, and I think the pre-empire books were written as mysteries, though there were a few times where he forgot to give enough information for the relevant clue to make sense before the end of the novel. granted he does a great "the butler did it" scene with all the suspects together, that or the main character describing the moment of revelation with another main character. but still when he forgets to mention a bit of technology that is treated as commonplace, but that was the KEY to the whole mystery, grumbling commences.

Can't recall any such occasion, myself; could you refresh my memory?:confused:

one of the pre-empire books, (pebble in the sky, currents of space, and can NEVER remember the thrid one) had a the son of the Mayor of Wye, planet at that time, not the section of Trantor it became for prelude to Foundation. but he was in college on earth, had a scene where part of it mentioned his watch. at the "whodunnit" moment at the end the character again brings back the watch, but THIS time says that the watch was special, no mention made before. but THAT was the key point to the logic train. not going to go into too much more detail, might be spoiling it as it is.

most others the info is there to be read. one can feel a bit sheepish to have not put it together on their own.

J.D just a minor quibble about your list, wouldnt Robbie be the first robot story. As, well they havent even been to Mars at that point. Also Robots are just about to be outlawed on earth, a few years after the story is set. Robbie is an early model robot as he cant speak and really has the capacity of a small child.:confused:

I'll have to dig my compliations out now.:D

J.D just a minor quibble about your list, wouldnt Robbie be the first robot story. As, well they havent even been to Mars at that point. Also Robots are just about to be outlawed on earth, a few years after the story is set. Robbie is an early model robot as he cant speak and really has the capacity of a small child.:confused:

I'll have to dig my compliations out now.:D

What I had on the list was "'Introduction' through 'Liar!' from I, Robot."... inclusive, meaning all stories in the order they are presented in that collection, including "Robbie"... I simply didn't type out each individual title as there were no stories from other collections inserted between any of those in that initial collection....

it might have been The stars like Dust then. Was definitely no currents of space. That one was about a girl running around with an amnesiac character in the lower section of a city.

Which Robot stories do you think is the best ? The early ones like I,Robot or that series with the human with Robot partner ?

I wonder was Asimov good at writing mystery. I would love reading good mystery in SF settings.

That series, Elijah Baley with the humaniform robot partner Daneel Olivaw (and with Giskard coming into the third book) I would think to be good SF Mysteries. And, better still, with hints of a developing friendship - even fondness - between human and robot.

Elijah was a crusty no-frills character who I feel did not like lightly, so his liking would be totally genuine and all the more valid for that.