Daughter of the Empire, Book of Dust

igneouscarl

Degenerate and wretched
Two questions for those in the know-

Firstly, is the Daughter of the Empire by Feist & then books which follow it any good? I read Magician, Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon which I enjoyed but am worried this next trilogy will be a disapointment. Am I wrong?

Secondly, a Philip Pullman question. Does anyone know if he will be starting a new trilogy set after the Northen Lights. I've read Lyra's Oxford (which was a rip off) which hinted at more to come. I've also heard rumours of something called 'a book of dust', this isn't just the american name of one of the trilogy like 'the Golden Compass' being the equivelant to 'the Northern Lights' in England?

Forgive my grammar, long day!:)

igneouscarl said:
Firstly, is the Daughter of the Empire by Feist & then books which follow it any good? I read Magician, Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon which I enjoyed but am worried this next trilogy will be a disapointment. Am I wrong?
In my opinion, yes, you are wrong. I found the Daughter of Empire to be a wonderful work that shows the excellent talents of both authors. Give it a try and see what I mean.

igneouscarl said:
Secondly, a Philip Pullman question. Does anyone know if he will be starting a new trilogy set after the Northen Lights. I've read Lyra's Oxford (which was a rip off) which hinted at more to come. I've also heard rumours of something called 'a book of dust', this isn't just the american name of one of the trilogy like 'the Golden Compass' being the equivelant to 'the Northern Lights' in England?
I've not heard of a book of dust so I doubt it is an American name for one of the previous books. I'd say that this is suggesting more to come but I've no real evidence of that fact. I'm sure that if you roamed around the 'net a bit and found some interviews by Pullman you might find more evidence.

In any case, I think you'd like Daughter of Empire - it is quite different but also similar to the other series you spoke of. Both authors put forth their good qualities in that series and I was sad to see it end.
Cheers!

As a Feist fan of many years... GET ALL THE BLOODY BOOKS AND READ THEM COVER-TO-COVER!!!! ...Or else!!!

I highly recommend that you read the other two following Daughter of the Empire... They are set during a lot of what happens in Magician, from a different perspective...

Anything you wanna know, just ask!!!

The Master™ said:
Anything you wanna know, just ask!!!
What is the relative weight of an anti matter injection thrust drive? (well you said)

I've enjoyed Fiest also, although I cannot remember there names - bad memory- but can verify that they are worth the read.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers everyone! Okay persuaded, as soon as I finish Shogun its my next read (may have to cut back on food to get it but hey, no worries!). Not sure I could read Feist back to back- there are quite a few but I'll see how it goes.

Princess Ivy said:
What is the relative weight of an anti matter injection thrust drive?
In space, there is no weight... :D

igneouscarl said:
(may have to cut back on food to get it but hey, no worries!)
Such is the commitment of all Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans... There are times when sacrifices must be made!!! :p

dwndrgn said:
The Master is correct, if a bit over-emphatic...
I've never been known to be subtle... :D

I am not sure about these books, I am never keen on the idea books that are co wrote. Just look at Eddings, as soon as he mentions the fact that his missus helped write the books, he loses his ability to write. :)

Last edited:
well Lacedaemion.
Give Daughter of the Empire a chance. I think it's his best book (after Magician)

It is a bit eastern in bent (which I love anyway) and "fills" in the gaps between Magician Silverthorn on the other side of the rift.

Very good series the Empire ones - probably as a series better than the Riftwar (I though Silverthorn was a bit weak)

I agree that Magician was fantastic, but definitely the Empire series as well. I actually got tired of Feist after a while, I'm not keen on sieges and castles and warfare... at least not in book after book after book. :eek:

Read Empire!!!

Lacedaemonian said:
I am not sure about these books, I am never keen on the idea books that are co wrote. Just look at Eddings, as soon as he mentions the fact that his missus helped write the books, he loses his ability to write. :)
I have wondered if Feist would have been able to write such a wonderful main female character if he hadn't had the help of a female in co-authoring it.

Nokia said:
I agree that Magician was fantastic, but definitely the Empire series as well. I actually got tired of Feist after a while, I'm not keen on sieges and castles and warfare... at least not in book after book after book. :eek:

Are you sure you are not talking about Gemmel ? :p Thats an author writing about sieges in a book after book after book.

Yeah I stopped reading the Rigante series after Book 2 I think. But the Serpentwar Saga definitely has a lot of castles and sieges, I found that a bit tiresome too.

Daughter of the Empire was the first of all the Feist books that i ever read, and remains, by far, my absolute favourite. Mara of the Acoma is probably one of the strongest female characters in fantasy fiction. Whilst i liked the other Feist books, i found the SerpentWar truly aweful except for Roo Avery building his mercantile empire. The Riftwar was very good, though a little weak at times. Feist, i find, has trouble with back-story at points which makes the decisions some of his characters make seem truly illogical. First and foremost is the Elves allowing their queen to marry a valheru...in any other society Aglaranna would have been assassinated and Thomas killed as quickly as possible to remove the threat of their race ever falling under Valheru control again.

I've read everything Feist has done and enjoyed these the most apart from Magician. Tried to read Janny Wurts but have not got far in anything she has done.

igneouscarl said:
Two questions for those in the know-

Yes,...i think you are wrong:D

I'm a fan of both feist and wurts...The combination of the two creates such an amazing flavour. Even if you did not enjoy them separately I'd still recommend it. I think in some way its imagery and world are more complete and....vivid?..colourful?..visual?....then feist's companion saga

daughter of the empire is a great read most of janny wurts work is top notch

has anyone read any of wurts's other books? i've seen Ride to Hells chasm or whatever its called previewed in the back of one of the books but has anyone actually read one of her books?
if you have could you tell us what you thought? cheers:rolleyes: