8.08: Covenant

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
8.XX: Covenant

BEWARE SPOILERS
From Gateworld
Largely an Earth-bound episode, 'Covenant' will see the introduction of a new character intended to be recurring: Andrew Colson.
"Colson, the charismatic CEO of Colson Industries and an old friend of Samantha Carter, makes a televised announcment -- more of an ultimatum to the world's major governments, actually. He has proof that aliens exist and have been at work on Earth, and if the governments of the world don't come forward and disclose it within 24 hours, he will.

"Sam and Daniel watch the broadcast from the S.G.C. The announcement causes public panic and controversy, and it is eventually decided to give Colson a peek at the world he knows only a little about: Carter will take him off-world to the Alpha Site, in the hopes of convincing him that the existence of technologically-advanced (and hostile) alien races is a secret worth keeping.

"Colson's best friend and right-hand man is Brian Vogler, a family man and COO of Colson's company. He warns Colson against making the annoucement, and he must deal with the financial fall-out to the company that follows. While Colson is hoping that the revelation ushers in a new era for humankind, Vogler worries about the mass hysteria it's sure to cause.

"And there are more forces at work here. A shadow group, apparently not connected with the government, also believes that this revelation shouldn't come out -- and use blackmail to try and orchestrate the financial downfall of Colson's massive and influential conglomerate of businesses, leading to the implication that he's made everything up as a publicity stunt or a way to manipulate the government for assistance."

Thanx to Gateworld for the info, for more info look to www.gateworld.net

:D

When Carter is telling Colson about the trust she says something like .... "they even tryed to get former vice president Kinsey". Since when is he the former VP? I don't remember them getting rid of him. Did I miss something?

I caught that too and also must have missed Kinsey being dismissed, though with how things went after the failed invasion it would not surprise me as he quite obviously lost his little power play, but still I did not recall seeing or hearing any kind of announcement that Kinsey was gone as VP??

The Prez had required Kinsey to submit his resignation in Season 7 - I'm assuming it did happen (behind the scenes) and that's why Carter said "former VP".

It was an interesting episode, not my favorite but it was ok. I enjoy the character of Colson and how they end his dilemma at the end. All the thing with the help of Thor in the news was really great.

Krystal :p

Again a so so episode - have no really strong feelings either way. I didn't know Colson was to become a recurring character - he has the potential to become annoying. :D

Also he threatened all the world's major governments so why was there no response from anywhere else?

Originally posted by Maria8475
Also he threatened all the world's major governments so why was there no response from anywhere else?

I expect that the President's telephone was busy all four days!! He probably didn't get any sleep at all. I'm not surprised that he was relieved that Colson was discredited.

Only I'm not so sure that people would just dismiss the claims so easily. People like to believe in conspiracy theories and this story turns out too neatly. The 'meteor shower' excuse was still a very poor one, a few emails home from all the airmen situated off-world might come out (especially those who have gone to Atlantis and never come back) and there have been a variety of other odd occurences that other people could put together.

As Earth-based shows go, this was one of the better ones.