Pullman, Philip: His Dark Materials

kelsi

Expert Member
Just wondering if anyone's read any of his material. I've read Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, and I'm about 1/2 way thru Amber Spyglass. So ... anyone?

I've never read any of his books or heard of him, but I'm always interested in a good book. What kind of books does he write? Maybe I'll have to go to the library and check it out. :rain:

It's all scifi. He uses a lot of science, but it's so bizarre that you don't realise it all exists. It's quite mind boggling. About different/alternate universes and so on. :alienooh:

Never heard of him before but he sounds interesting. I will have to try and find some of his work and check it out.

That explains why I haven't heard of him, not being from England. Still will have to try and check him out.

I want to read 'The Amber Spyglass', but since I read the others about seven years ago, I haven't yet. He took so long to write a final novel of the 'Dark Materials' trilogy. But it is amazing. If you're a SF fan, young or old, you'll surely find something in these.
Those are the only ones I've read though, 'Northern Lights' and 'Subtle Knife'.

Oh, I've just finished it. Everyone that I know who's read it says it was really sad, but can't say I thought it was... :rolleyes:

The Amber Spyglass

I was thinking of buying this, but wasnt sure, so was wonering if anyone else had read it and whether they could tell me what it's like.

The best!!!

Philip Pullman is one of the only authors I have ever attempted to read the works of and have actually stuck to all the way through!!! He is the master of science fiction writing and even though I found Northern Lights slow to begin with, I quickly zipped through the Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass, Subtle Knife being my favourite by far. The only bit I didn't like was the charachter Lyra because she was too snotty for my liking. Will was my favouite, oh and little Pan! Another reason I stuck with these stories is because all the books were bought as presents so I had to anyway!! Not that I wouldn't have, its just that if it hadn't been for my mum I don't think I would have found this amazing author. Anyone read anything else by him? He wrote a long series about a woman called Sally and I've read numbers 3 and 4 in that series so far. :):):)

BUYBUYBUY!!!!!

This is a fantastic book to read, only problem is that it is the third part of a trilogy so unless you've read one and two you might get a tad confused. Anyway I absolutely love this trilogy if u want a plot synopsis i'll post one.:)

it's part of a trilogy :eek:

I did NOT know that! What are the other books????

the first one is Northern Lights and the second one is Subtle Knife. the second is best, first one needs a bit of time to warm up but all three excellent together!!!:):):)

I guess what you're trying to say is 'BUY THEM NOW OR REGRET IT FOREVER?' eH?

With a glowing review like that, my little legs just cannot run fast enough to the bookshop :D

Sin :)

I guess i better go do it then before you try and make me regret it :erm:

Sin :)

yep - and if you get them in paperback it'll only cost you a fiver per book! thats's a real bargain in this day and age!