Goblet of Fire: Film

Saw it awesome Movie though they could have put in a few more scenes....

I just read some comments written by someone who hasn't read the books (strange but conceivably possible!) and I hadn't realised before, but many things about films III and IV don't make a lot of sense if you haven't read the books first.

Why does Sirius even appear in the fireplace in 'Goblet of Fire'? - everything else to do with him is cut out and it just appears pointless. Nothing he says has any relevance to the plot. Part of the problem with Sirius stems way back to 'Prisoner of Azkaban' because in the film they removed everything about Harry getting the broomstick for Christmas and whether or not he could trust Sirius and instead he got it later. I see this being an even greater problem in later books (if you get my drift!) No one will care what happens to Sirius.

In the film of 'Goblet of Fire' Harry has no control over what takes place, he is just a victim being driven to the end of the film. Now that is true also in the book, but it is delved into and discussed. In the film, that is all gone so it appears that he never made any choices, and he was also entirely incidental to the events that occurred. The books have been praised for raising children's self-esteem, but in this film Harry appears to be just used and abused.

Any film should be able to stand up on it's own merits. I'm now not sure whether this one would, or if the series as whole will, without the books behind them.

You've raised some good points there Dave. I hadn't thought about it that way.

As you say alot of the story has been missed out which does try to explain the hows/whys and therefores with reference to parts of the "story".

I still enjoyed it but was slightly disappointed that "important" scenes(to me anyway) were missed out ie - the House-elves freedom and the lead up to the camp out in the field for the Quidditch Tournament plus the Tournament itself.

Oh well, we can't always get what we want can we?

annette :)

Originally posted by Dave I just read some comments written by someone who hasn't read the books (strange but conceivably possible!) and I hadn't realised before, but many things about films III and IV don't make a lot of sense if you haven't read the books first.
Speaking as someone who's only watched the movies, never read any of the books, I haven't felt confused watching the 3rd or 4th movies. Infact I may prefer them to the earlier ones.
Originally posted by Dave Why does Sirius even appear in the fireplace in 'Goblet of Fire'? - everything else to do with him is cut out and it just appears pointless. Nothing he says has any relevance to the plot.
Because there are some people only watching the movies and some of them might forget about him if he were cut out completely.
Originally posted by Dave Part of the problem with Sirius stems way back to 'Prisoner of Azkaban' because in the film they removed everything about Harry getting the broomstick for Christmas and whether or not he could trust Sirius and instead he got it later. I see this being an even greater problem in later books (if you get my drift!) No one will care what happens to Sirius.
I love Sirius! I got how important he is to Harry. I haven't watched PoA recently, but I remember clearly his determination to save him from the Dementors. I liked the relationships between Sirius and Harry, and Sirius and Lupin even if there was only so much of them in the film.
Originally posted by Dave In the film of 'Goblet of Fire' Harry has no control over what takes place, he is just a victim being driven to the end of the film. Now that is true also in the book, but it is delved into and discussed. In the film, that is all gone so it appears that he never made any choices, and he was also entirely incidental to the events that occurred. The books have been praised for raising children's self-esteem, but in this film Harry appears to be just used and abused.
I have only seen GoF once, and not recently. But I can think of some choices Harry made. He chose to save Fleur's(sp) little sister as well as Ron. He chose to go back for Cedric instead of just after the cup himself. Those are the choice I can think of at this hour.
Originally posted by Dave Any film should be able to stand up on it's own merits. I'm now not sure whether this one would, or if the series as whole will, without the books behind them.
I think the series holds up so far, and I'm not sure that an individual movie from it should have to stand alone because they're part of a series. Being part of a trilogy, or an ongoing series is different from being just so many sequels. I can't watch The Empire Strikes Back without watching Return of the Jedi, but I don't think that makes ESB less of a movie. If anything it's more of a movie because it's so powerful I need the reassurance I get watching RotJ.

Well your point of view is certainly different from the other one I read and I'm glad that's not a general view. I personally, liked the film and I think it was the best yet, but it did have to miss out a great deal. I really suggest that you do read the books sometime.

You are right that Harry does make some choices, but at the end he is seen to have been totally manipulated by Voldemort like a puppet on a string. In the book much more was made of Harry saving Fleur's sister, there were more visits to the Pensieve, and of course there were many other stories such as Cho and the ball, Rita Skeeter and her downfall, the society for the protection of house-elves, and Hagrid being a half-giant, the missing potion ingredients, and that didn't seem like the only story. And all these small things do have some bearing on later events in the books. The interview with Mike Newell that I copied shows that he did this deliberately in the film.

And on Sirius, well you just need to read the next book!

Originally posted by Dave
Well your point of view is certainly different from the other one I read and I'm glad that's not a general view.
Do you have a general idea of the other person's age? I only ask because I'm an adult, and I may catch things in the movies a younger viewer might miss. I mean Sirius presence to me in GoF is larger than the fireplace scene because there was the scene where Hermione encouraged Harry to write Sirius, and Harry's recieving Sirius message before the two of them spoke. I liked Hermione's encouraging Harry because in it there was the implication he and Sirius have been in regular contact since the previous movie.
Originally posted by Dave I personally, liked the film and I think it was the best yet, but it did have to miss out a great deal. I really suggest that you do read the books sometime.
Hmm, I know some Potter fans prefer PoA for Cuaron's directing. And, it maybe that I prefer the "non-Columbus" flicks. PoA has a special place in my heart because of my fondness for Sirius, but I enjoyed GoF with his oh so brief appeareance. I've done a fair amount of reading books, and watching movie adaptations of them. I find the quality varies all over. Likely I won't read the books until both the book and movie series are finished so I can compare the sets. That's of course if I feel like giving the books a go by the last movie.
Originally posted by Dave And on Sirius, well you just need to read the next book!
*Shakes head.* I definitely don't want to face what's coming before I have to. I may not be reading the books, but I've been spoiled a bit. I know who dies in OotP, and in the HBP. I am wondering what Jo is ultimately going to do with Snape. Along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, he's the other... continuous character in the series I care about. Lupin and Sirius weren't in the first couple of stories.

By making teh chanegs they have made it means you get ALOT cut out from teh later films.

by takign out the SPEW subplot you also take it out of OotP, you can eliminate most of WWW from OotP too. I cann see almost the entire of the start of OotP being cut out because alot of it is slow and pointless besides leading you up towards the end. the Cho-chang wioll be kept in obviously, DA, e.c.t but yea The cut movies are probably gunna stay it will be intresting to see.

I enjoyed this one lookign foward to the next ones

Hailing Frequencies says that Warner Home Video is releasing Goblet of Fire on HD DVD April 11, 2006.

We have the rest already so will no doubt be purchasing this one too.

LOL depends on whether they watch Dr Who or not doesn't it? ;)

annette :wave:

Cool Movie

I really liked this film. I saw it before I had read the book, so I judged it on its own merits. The pacing was nice, as were the special effects and all-around acting. I especially enjoyed Harry's battle with the dragon and his encounter with Moaning Myrtle in the bathtub. Harry's battle with Voldermort was also very exciting.

the goblet of fire film was cool! i love it all! though making a postcard with cedric dead on it...

I hated this film that cut a lot of really good scenes and add ones that didn't make any difference to the story... the ball took forever in the movie when it could have taken all of it in 1 minute... the last challenege was sooooo stupid in the movie (Okay I know they can't make the movie long enough to do justice to the book but come on)

so far all the films have dissapointed me, the fourth was to actionpacked, to little attention to the details, and talks

i think they should be made without putting childrens feelings first, they should be dark as the books have become, they should be longer to not miss detail ans story out and Sod the little ones, they can go to sleep and the adults can watch the films as nature intended! LOL, only joking, i love kids you all know that (on toast) LMAO!!

Haven't read the book yet (just finished the first one), but I think this is the best of the films I've seen so far. The scene at the end of the dance where Ron and Hermoine are fighting was hilarious.

Watched this for the first time, last night, and found it completely surreal.

It's a Harry Potter film, starring Edward Cullen from Twilight, and Dr Who David Tennant, in key roles.

Oh, and the Hungarian ship appears the same way the Black Pearl does in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. There's almost a little something of the Hunger Games in the Wizard Cup contest.

It's like one huge crossover of everything that is family entertainment, even though it didn't intend it at the time.