Goblet of Fire: Film

Discussion in 'J K Rowling' started by Dave, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Film News: Goblet of Fire

No Dursleys in 'Goblet of Fire':

That actually makes sense. The film would be 3 or 4 hours long otherwise. But what happens when they make 'Order of the Phoenix'? There is enough material there to make two films, but no cliffhanger ending in the middle, so they are more likely to just cut it down to 2 hours. That will miss out on a lot of details.

2. timdgreat

timdgreat For the Emperor

it might make sense, but i would wish that if they are gonna make theese books into movies then i wish that they would do them as full length movies. Like LOTR, most people i think would be willing to sit through the full length movie. i know i would:rolly2:

3. Dave

These films are for kids though, and I'm not sure my kids would sit through 3-4 hours.

I also like my films to be faithful to the original books, but they always need to make some changes, sometimes it improves it.

Those last few HP books were way too long, they ramble at the start about things that are unimportant to the story. Also the film could do five pages of a description of the Burrow or a Quidditch match in a single visual scene.

4. Shaun

Shaun R.I.P. Ashes

Longer doesn't necessarily mean better. For books, I don't mind if they ramble on a bit because I can put it down and come back to it later. Whereas with movies, I don't like to interrupt the flow of the movie by stopping it.

Starting at the Burrow is a good move. Nothing important happens at the Dursleys that can't be spoken about by Harry or Ron.

5. timdgreat

well yes i agree it does kinda help shorten the movie its also breaking from things in that all the books and the movies so far have always started at the dursleys, guess i just want it to be a an exact copy of the book i like so much, mores the fool me:rolly2:

6. Sinistra

Sinistra Lurking in the Shadows

I read somewhere that the run time was going to be 150 minutes, which is only about 2 and a half hours - ok, so that's still fairly long, but there is no way they will fit everything in.

The third film didn't manage it and i was very disappointed with it.

I found something on imdb that said the studio has the idea of splitting the book into 2 separate films, which would be realeased several months apart, so that it would stick to the book a bit more, but the director said no to that idea deciding he could cut enough off to still make it workable, but not too long.

It will still work, and make sense with everything cut out, but i tihnk if you have read the book beforehand the film might be a let-down because so much will have been cut out.

Sinistra :rain:

7. timdgreat

yeah thats what really made me not like the 3rd film so much they tried to cut too much and still stick to the story, the first 2 did well i thought but it looks like the 4th is already heading down hill IMHO, and thats stinks too, its should be the best ever.:rolly2:

8. Dave

Oh! Dear! Tim is not going to like this news then...

I think I've heard of the 'Weird Sisters' before. Is the band put together just for 'Harry Potter', or has it been around for a while?

9. little smaug

little smaug Fire and Brimstone

"The Weird Sisters" is the name of a wizard band from the book. The people who will be playing the band in the film are all from famous British bands, most notably Jarvis Cocker (lead singer of Pulp). ;)

As for the whole Winky/Dobby/Spew sub-plot... I'm having mixed feelings. I was never that fond of the Spew storyline anyway, so that doesn't bother me. But Winky is tied in with Barty Crouch, and the riot at the Quidditch World Cup, and probably loads of other points I can't remember right now. Which means that either a lot of the story is going to have to be changed to accomodate this, or the story just isn't going to make sense.

Also, if they're leaving out such a major storyline as the Spew campaign, it makes you wonder what else is going to be left out... :rolleyes:

10. Dave

Yes, I think I'm losing it! :eek: I think now that I just remember the name from the book.

But there are other supergroups - "The Travelling Wilburys" for instance.

And other groups put together for films, but that had some little success afterwards - "The Corrs" (from Alan Parker's "The Commitments")

11. timdgreat

ur right dave i really dont like that news, its irksome for me to keep hearing about all this stuff they are trimming from the books to make a movie, but i guess they have to:mad:

and just to get another one of my opinions out there winky is vital to the plot of the movie she shouldnt be excluded.:rolly2:

12. Dave

13. Annette

Annette This is Star - my honey!!

Well, has anyone seen it yet? Any reviews available?

annette :)

14. PTeppic

PTeppic Reetou Diplomatic Corp

Seen it twice now.

Very good indeed - best of the three.

Yes, there is a lot chopped out: all the Dobby/Winky stuff, pretty much every lesson, all the Hagrid-teaching stuff, most of the Rita Skeeter plot, even all the challenges within the final Maze.

What's left is really pressed through, and anyone who hasn't read the book is probably going to feel a bit lost. Even for those who have read it, a lot is chipped and chopped round the edges. The "Quidditch World Cup" is there in feeling, and very brief glimpses, but no "footage" of the game itself. Ditto the first three dragons in the initial challenge. Same applies elsewhere: its chopped to the very quick.

BUT, what you get is the concentrated Goblet of Fire core, the Triwizard championship itself. Almost pure action, tempered with only the barest directly plot related breathers. And the odd telegraph which I don't remember from the book ;)

All in all - superb. Good acting, great effects and constant adrenaline.

15. Dave

I was going to say exactly the same thing, and at 1 hr and 57 mins you wouldn't really want them to add much more. My family disagree, didn't think it was as good. I think that is due to the lack of the SPEW plot, Rita Skeeter plot and any kind of lesson at all this year.

Certainly the scariest of the four so far. Though maybe it went above the kids heads. When they first enter the maze and the bushes move the woman in front of me jumped two feet in the air. Then she looked to see if her kids were scared, but they were completely oblivious.

I don't know how they will make the next book. If they cut it down to two hours like this it will be spoilt, but kids won't sit through more than two hours. I hope they make it in two parts instead.

16. PTeppic

Not sure where you saw it, but you've been ripped off - it should be around 2 hr 20 mins of movie (plus credits)... [based on when I left the cinema, and the 25 (!!rant!!) minutes of adverts and trailers beforehand.]

[Curiously, in the UK the BBFC (censors) passed the film as 2 hr 36 mins 54 secs...]

17. Dave

You are correct, I didn't time it, I thought that's what my cinema booking ticket said, but it actually says 157 minutes (2 hours 37 minutes.) Including all the adverts and trailers, anti-piracy information and switch off your phone stuff that everyone totally ignores, then yes it was about 2 and a three quarter hours.

It went quickly though, it wasn't until they got to the maze that I though 'oh it must be near the end now'.

I'm not sure I have any more to say on the film itself.

18. Yoda

Yoda Jedi Knight

I think the film was great but I would have liked to have seen more of the Quidditch World Cup matches. And I would have liked to have seen the other three people face their Dragons in the TriWizard Tournament.

19. PTeppic

Would you have made the film longer, to do so, Yoda, or cut something else - if so, what?

20. Yoda

Yoda Jedi Knight

I would just made it longer, though they cut a bit of when the schools arrived, or Harry's fight with the Dragon.