Philip Reeve : Mortal Engines

L. Arkwright

Vimes's stunt double
Excerpt from Mortal Engines.

"It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried out bed of the old north sea. In happier times, London would have never bothered with such feeble prey. The great traction city had once spent its days hunting bigger towns than this, ranging north as far as the edges of the Ice Waste ans south to the shores of the Mediterranean. But lately prey of any kind had started to grow scarce and some of the larger cities had begun to look hungrily at London. For ten years now it had been hiding from them, skulking in a damp, mountainous, western district which the Guild of Historians said had once been the island of Britain. For ten years it had eaten nothing but tiny farming towns and static settlements in those wet hills. Now, at last, the Lord Mayor had decided that the time was right to take his city back over the land-bridge into the Great Hunting Ground."

This is how Mortal Engines begins. Its one of those books thats a surprise. Surprising that the idea is one that Ive found to be completely new and original, surprising that It just kind of leapt out of the book shelf towards me while I was shopping in my local Tesco and surprising that that its a book aimed at children. Now, im not being disrespectful of childrens stories here but this book is a fantastic read for adults as well. I cant really give much away about the plot or how the cities all become mobile because thats part of the enjoyment as you piece together the history that Reeve has developed within the pages. Suffice to say that London, as the others, roams the land on vast wheels and caterpillar tracks hunting down and devouring smaller suburbs. They are pulled inside a vast maw at the front of the city where they are dismanteled and their wreckage is then recycled and used upon London. The population of the now captured city become slaves or are killed. Theres a brilliant term for this. Municipal Darwinism
The author has thought this premise out thoroughly and at no time did it seem to me silly or unbelievable. It captures you and drags you along with it and you find yourself caught up in a story where, yes people are killed or there is pain but it is not gratuitous or graphic which I found to be something of a refreshing change. Another thing that the author should be commended on is that it would have been so easy to turn this book into an adult aimed novel. I love the fact that this adventure, this concept and this brilliant writing are the property of a young adults book.

An observation comes to mind.

If there is only childrens Science Fiction that seems to have any activity in the publishing world. Once one has removed the generally ghastly novels based upon Stargate/Star Trek et al. then what remains has a habit of being surprisingly well thought out and written. Harry Potter comes to the mind immediately, but his one seems to need adding to the list.

Having seen how Reading has swallowed almost everything between Wargrave in the East and beyond Pangborne in the West in the last twenty years or so I can quite see it crawling around devouring everything.

Have you tried Flatland (Edwin Abbott) as well. Not exactly a childrens book anymore but an interesting diversion on the same demented lines

I picked this out randomly at the school library over ten years ago, and ended up reading the whole series.
I hope the film does it justice. Im not massively fussy, I just want a couple of likeable character portrayals and a decent action scene or two and I'll be satisfied.

I picked this out randomly at the school library over ten years ago, and ended up reading the whole series.
I hope the film does it justice. Im not massively fussy, I just want a couple of likeable character portrayals and a decent action scene or two and I'll be satisfied.

I wasn't aware of Mortal Engines until I say the preview for the film . I picked up book up book one.

Id say it's somewhere near the top of the YA dystopian pile. I prefer it to Maze Runner, Divergent and The Hunger Games. I may be alone in that.

I just finished book, My advice read this book, It excellent stuff ! :cool:(y) I went out and bought the second, third and fourth book in the series. :)

Am sure they did this on the BBC radio 4, I think one of the characters was being hunted by a robot assassin !
Because of the bits I heard I ended up buying the four book series!!
But as usual I haven't got round to reading them yet!!!
This is just the sort of over the top, outrageous ideas stuff I love in SF and Fantasy, that got me hooked when I was young, so let that be a warning to you!
It's too late for me, I kept being approached by shifty men on street corners, slyly offering me the latest anthologies, now am in so deep, I can't resist!!
Listen to me get out while you can, before it's too late, stop buying books, start watching Coronation Street and East Enders, before your imagination becomes too inflamed like mine, because then you will be truly lost!!!!!

Last edited:
Am sure they did this on the BBC radio 4, I think one of the characters was being hunted by a robot assassin !
Because of the bits I heard I ended up buying the four book series!!
But as usual I haven't got round to reading them yet!!!
This is just the sort of over the top, outrageous ideas stuff I love in SF and Fantasy, that got me hooked when I was young, so let that be a warning to you!
It's too late for me, I kept being approached by shifty men on street corners, slyly offering me the latest anthologies, now am in so deep, I can't resist!!
Listen to me get out while you can, before it's too late, stop buying books, start watching Coronation Street and East Enders, before your imagination becomes too inflamed like mine, because then you will be truly lost!!!!!

You will not be disappointed by it. :cool:

Neither did "Dredd", which is a brilliant film.
Critics and box offices are not always the measure of a good film!
Only time will tell!

Bought Mortal Engines and so far it's quite good. The writing is tight and descriptive but not overly descriptive, and some nice twists so far.