New Poll: Are you a Sam/Jack shipper?

Followed by courts-martial for violations of A.F.I. 36 - 2909?

Honeymoon in Leavenworth... :D

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

Thanx, McHorde-Trooper! If u know any other shippers, bring, 'em on over here, LOL!:rolly2: And, Hatshepsut, I meant that Sam and Jack should get together after either Sam or Jack resigns. (I hate fanfic where they get together by breaking regs!!!:angryfire)

SamFan :wave:

Originally posted by SamFan
And, Hatshepsut, I meant that Sam and Jack should get together after either Sam or Jack resigns. (I hate fanfic where they get together by breaking regs!!!:angryfire)

Actually, they're not off the hook even then. A.F.I. 36 - 2909 states that:

"Unprofessional relationships should not be excused simply because the parties marry or one leaves the service."

Given that, in canon, their relationship has already been called in question, marriage - or just setting up home together - would still land them in trouble, especially Jack. At best, it's likely they would forfeit their pensions.

If you're interested, you can read the relevant bits of A.F.I. 36 - 2909 here:

http://www.pandemonium.me.uk/stargate/afi36.2909.htm

These regulations apply to gay relationships, and relationships with contracted civilians also.

Basically, although I love slash fan fiction, I don't want to see slash overtly shown on screen any more than I want to see 'ship - which is not at all. ;)

What I do want to see is a united team, and mutual support and friendship between all four team members. This doesn't exclude disagreements; that's all part of life in the best regulated families. :) I do want to see good feelings restored by the end of the episode or arc though.

If such friendship is shown, then the fic. writers can put whatever spin on it they like in any pairing they like, 'ship or slash. You can read your 'ship and I can read my slash (and gen.), and everybody's happy. :D

Best wishes,

Originally posted by Hatshepsut
"Unprofessional relationships should not be excused simply because the parties marry or one leaves the service."

I took that to mean that "Unprofessional relationships should not be excused..." (after the unprofessional relationship has occured) "...simply because the parties marry or one leaves the service," meaning that marrying your CO after you've fraternized won't make the court martials go away. To me, that differs immensely from "Relationships between parties (the same 'parties' as above) should not be allowed even after one party leaves the service," meaning that [either Jack or Sam] leaving the service wouldn't allow [Jack and Sam to have] a relationship. Still with me? Anyway, just MHO.

Originally posted by Hatshepsut
You can read your 'ship and I can read my slash (and gen.), and everybody's happy. :D

We disagree on a lot of points, but, now, that I can agree to!

Yep!

Yep! Team and friendship on screen. Ship and slash in the privacy of your won home.

Best of both worlds for everyone.

:D

Rowan

Where R U, shippers? Pleez come support me here!

SamFan, why are you so determined that there must be a romance between these two characters? In what way does the show benefit from such a romance? Other than a fantasy-fulfilling kiss, what would be the show's development?

In order to maintain the show's credibility, either Jack or Sam must leave the SGC and take a posting elsewhere. No way around that one without sacrificing the characters' honor and integrity.

And then what? Sex, followed by a wedding? That would be what a guy like Jack would expect to do. Perhaps Jack is ready for a child again, but does Sam want children? Supposing that Sam remains at the SGC while Jack is posted elsewhere, do we start seeing shows focused on the effects of gate travel on the developing fetus.

And is it really Jack's child (dramatic music here) -- or an alien incursion? Turn in next week for the continuing story of "As the Gate Turns" :D

i would love for them to get together as long as it doesnt screw up the dynamic of the show:rolly2:

Originally posted by webmouse
Where R U, shippers? Pleez come support me here!
SamFan, why are you so determined that there must be a romance between these two characters?

This is just supposed to be a fun poll with some friendly discussion! There's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition (for lack of a better word) here, and the more people who come (shippers or not), the more different points of view we have. So, just to be fair, if you know any non-shippers or anti-shippers, send them here, too! This is just for fun and a way to see just how many people are shippers or not. :rolly2:

Originally posted by timdgreat
i would love for them to get together as long as it doesnt screw up the dynamic of the show:rolly2:

Sadly, it already has screwed up the dynamic of the show. :(

Focussing on 'ship the way the show has in the last half of season 7 has resulted in pushing Daniel - one of the two original characters - and Teal'c back into the background... Again... :rolleyes: :(

S.G.-1 is disunited and the mutually supportive team we used to have is a thing of the past.

Consider 'Evolution'. Daniel (separated from The Team) and Doctor Lee are successful in their mission to retrieve the artefact. After that, they are kidnapped, marched bound and blindfolded through the jungle, starved and tortured (Daniel giving nothing away). Daniel then effects the escape of the two of them, hides Doctor Lee when he can't go on, leads the bad guys away from him, and is then shot in the leg and threatened with being skinned alive.

Sam goes on a mission with Jacob and Bra'tac, two of the most experienced military men around, and Jack carries on like he'd much rather go with her than go and rescue pesky Daniel. Sam could've said, 'Bring him home safe, Sir,' but she didn't.

When Jack finally rescues Daniel, he neither congratulates Daniel on a job well done nor shows any concern for Daniel - just asks if he can walk on the leg with the bullet in it.

When Sam arrives with a slightly damaged arm (the super-soldier obviously wasn't trying very hard ;) ) Jack is full of concern and congratulations, and takes her off for lunch.

In Another Place where this was discussed, it was felt that Daniel got more comfort from the rock... This led to a discussion on Daniel/Rock 'ship :lol:, and this wallpaper:

http://www.pandemonium.me.uk/images/wallpapers/starcrossedlovers.jpg

Then there was 'Heroes' - Part 2, where Sam deserted her post to run to Jack (who was wearing super-soldier armour which protects from staff blasts). She exposed herself unnecessarily and did nothing to help him, not being a combat medic. Meanwhile, a Jaffa managed to get through their line and kill Janet (who shouldn't have been there anyway.) Not saying her actions caused Janet's death, but then it can't be proved that they didn't.

Now, if she's going to lose her head in a crisis like that, I for one would not wish to be serving in her unit. :eek:

So yes, 'ship has already screwed things up. Guess that's why they have these petty little regs... :D

Best wishes,
--

Originally posted by timdgreat

But any change in relationships must naturally change the dynamic of the show.

We've already heard about the major change coming with the retirement of Hammond and Jack's promotion to head the SGC

And should regular romance be limited to just Jack and Sam? What about Daniel and Sarah? Teal'c and Ishtar? Even Sam and Pete? An action/adventure sci-fi series can't maintain its energy if some portion of every episode has to be devoted to the love story angle of the regular cast.

'Ship' has its place in fan-fic where it can be explored and enjoyed in full.

Ship.

I don't have any problem with Sam & Pete. It's outside the military chain of command. I thought it brought some interesting dynamics into play. What I *did* have problems with was having Sam, basically, still mooning over Jack before that in the episode 'Grace', going to bed with Pete and than, after that episode, going back to mooning over Jack in 'The Lost City'.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong! Can't have your cake and eat it too. Either she's 'cheating' on Jack by going with Pete or she was cheating on Pete [who she did go to bed with - no problemns with that, BTW], but continuing to moon over Jack.

That set of situations right there has done a lot to sour me on the writing ethics of Season 7.

Rowan

Pete and what is he? Chopped liver? Or just something convient until her 'Jack' comes in?

Well, I wouldn't have *exactly* put it like that but, yeah, pretty much both. As you can tell I love Pete (insert sarcastic smiley).

BTW, no offence intended to David DeLuise, he seems like such a sweet and fab guy, I just *really* don't like Pete!

I'll never forgive T.P.T.B. for killing off Martouf. :angryfire

He was perfect for Sam and they just look so right together. Bring him back, say I. Send Sam to an alternative universe and let her ride off into the sunset with him. :D

Furthermore, there was nothing standing in the way of a relationship between Sam and Martouf, as there is between Jack and Sam.

Remaining in S.G.-1 if she had a crush on Jack just makes her look both dishonourable and also hypocritical in view of her saying to Jennifer Hailey:

"Oh, come on, all those little rules and regulations, they don't really apply to you right? I mean let's face it, what's the point of a chain of command if none of your superiors are as smart as you are?"

LOL! Thinking on, Jack's wa-ay not as smart as Sam.

Perhaps that's why they're deconstructing her character and making her look like a rather dim groupie. Hate that! She used to be such a strong and admirable character.

Best wishes,
--

The situation

Chain of command is just that and it's there for a reason. Even more now that Jack is the CO of the base and Sam just got promoted and is a team leader.

Either the rules apply or they don't - you can't have it half way - not in a military environment. This doesn't even go into the fact that any relationship between the two will make it look like Carter 'slept' her way into her promotion and team assignment.
Being a retired military 'lifer' [21+ years US Army] that insults me in more ways than I can count.

Let's add this on top of the fact that Sam now has a physical relationship with Pete. No matter if you love him or hate him, Sam has made a commitment of sorts to him. The total impropriety of her still pining after her 'Boss' is the sort of thing General Courts Martial are made from.

If you want the two of them together, either get her out of the service totally, transfer her to another assignment out of the SGC proper or retire Jack. That's the only three things that could make it happen and the both of them retain any semblance of respectability and honor. The way things are now, if I were at the SGC, I wouldn't trust either of them to make a solid and trustworthy command decision if they were beating 'round the bush with any sort of relationship.

JMHO - YMMV.

Rowan

I agree entirely, Rowan. 'Ship has spoilt the show for me because of the way the characters of Jack and especially Sam have been degraded.

Since the suggestion in 'Grace' that Sam had been pining for her C.O. for seven years, the first three series have been retrospectively tainted. I now find myself seeing 'ship there when I never did before, and that is something I do not want to do. It's really off-putting and, as you say, insulting to all members of the services who do uphold the oath they took.

If T.P.T.B. wanted romance, they should never have taken over a show with a military setting. The two just don't mix.

Best wishes,
--

Pete is the Cop right?
If we can't have Sam and Jack I hope Sam gets paired
with the guy from the N.I.D. that she worked with during the
episode with the Gould/Human Clone.

I don't hate the Cop, but he seems too convenient, too mundane
for a genius like Sam. Maybe Sam pines for the simple life (I'm
not certain), but could she ever be happy with a simple life?

Sam + Simple Life = more character destruction than
Sam and Jack or Sam and that guy from the N.I.D.

- - -
'Grace' was a weak episode.
It really didn't offer much to the Sam n' Jack pairing fans.
There are far better episodes with that pairing theme in it.

In fact 'Grace' made Sam think that her interest in Jack boiled
down to simply feeling safe because the relationship could
never happen. Which is stupid!

At the very least she should blame her like of Jack on how
much time they spend together and how many life
threatening situations they've been through together.
A confusion between friendship and love.

But no, that episode tries to flush down the toilet what
has been hinted at for years with out even a believable
excuse from Sam.

Sam is too smart to accept such a lame reason as "feeling safe".

- - -
I know other posters have talked about not making even
platonic friends with those under their command, but look
at the situation that these very non-traditional SGC personnel
are in. They spend most of there time together. Their jobs
are top secret even to other military folk. Some teams are
very small. Like a certain 4 person team. They've prevailed
in the face of great threats.

Folks keep missing one of the major drawbacks of 'ship' in an ensemble cast -- if everyone is paired off and faithful, then who is the guest star going to get jiggy with?

For the writers' sakes, keep the characters flexible with minimal involvements so that each episode is free to take its own path.

Right now things are just about right: Sam has Pete (but not in every ep), Daniel has Sarah (also not in every ep), and Teal'c can run off to his Jaffa babe whenever he (and the writers) wish.

As for Jack, so far he's been scoring on just about every planet.

In the end -- just like Kirk always came back to the Enterprise -- SG1 returns to base and the status quo, fresh for next week's mission. Add too much 'ship' and we've got a soap opera, not an innovative sci-fi series.

Back