Dr. Rodney McKay

Rowan

Dr. McKay joins the Atlantis team as a strong science member. [if, IMHO, his various allergies don't get him first :} ]. Since we've already seen McKay in a couple of previous Stargate episodes [ S5 - '48 Hours' & S6 'Redemption'], I think it's safe to say he'll be reprising his original role, only in a new environment.

More infromation of David Hewlett can be found in his listing on the IMDB.

Rowan

<Sigh>

Yep. Serious typo there. I'll go back and edit my post.

Rowan

Originally posted by Rowan
I think it's safe to say he'll be reprising his original role, only in a new environment.
After his previous work at the SGC, you'd think he would be the last person they'd want on an active off-world team, apart, perhaps, from Dr Felger....

Yeah, McKay isn't the most likeable charecter. He is certainly someone we can LEARN to like, but at the same time he's not the brightest bulb in the box either. Look at Redemption...he was clueless.

I still like having a familiar face though.

Anybody, but McKay

I have faithfully watched Stargate since the movie first came out. Was very pleased when SG-1 became a tv series. Like most shows, there are characters that are so annoying you cannot stand them. Whether it is the casting of the role or the way the character is written.

Why did they have to bring back David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay. McKay is one of the most annoying Stargate characters they have had. The type of character that I hit the MUTE button every time I see them on screen.

If they could not have found an existing Stargate character other than McKay, then they should have created a new character.

Well, given this is a semi-independent series the writers can give the actor some serious humility to work with, and maybe the character will have learned something about himself and improved...

Note to self: must separate actor from character...

I wasn't really thrilled with the addition of McKay to the Atlantis team. However, if TPTB will finally have him make another crack to Sam and let her drop kick his a** across the room like she should have in 48 hours, then maybe I can learn to tolerate him.

:D

Maybe.;)

Well - by sending him to the other side of the universe (or at least a different galaxy) maybe this IS the revenge Sam wanted... but "we" have to suffer instead of her...

... depending on how much his character is changed (if at all) by the writers for this more central roll.

Rodney

Okay, here's a gauntlet on the floor.

I liked him.

I'm not sayin' he was a good, upright, outstanding human being by a long shot, but he had character. He's an individual and in today's drive to try and mold folks into stereotypes, he's refreshing. He's that burr in your shorts that won't let you sleep. he drove Sam to think. He challenged her. And when he was proven wrong, he appologized.

I think there's a lot of potential for the character of Rodney McKay. I hope the show doesn't run him through the blender and make him into an easy digested pap for the audence to swallow.

I like a bit of roughage in my mental diet. ;)

Rowan

Fair and well-put points... there's an awful lot of stereotypical writing in SG-1... everyone tends to get on, or disappears after a single episode, and there are very rarely ever disagreements between major players. Okay, so it's the military, but compare with e.g. "Angel" where characters can have big issues for half a season or more and the story arcs allow for that.

A Canadian! WOO HOO! Canada in the house.

Finally, another member of the SG team from another country, and HE'S CANADIAN! LIKE ME, I'm soooooo proud of the moments he mentions that he's from Canada!

I love it!

I actually find McKay quite hilarious...I was laughing the entire way through Suspicion (and rising...and 38 minutes) but I guess my extremely warped sense of humour played a part in that...

Re: Rodney

Originally posted by Rowan

I liked him.

I'm not sayin' he was a good, upright, outstanding human being by a long shot, but he had character. He's an individual and in today's drive to try and mold folks into stereotypes, he's refreshing. He's that burr in your shorts that won't let you sleep. he drove Sam to think. He challenged her. And when he was proven wrong, he appologized.

I think there's a lot of potential for the character of Rodney McKay. I hope the show doesn't run him through the blender and make him into an easy digested pap for the audence to swallow.

I like a bit of roughage in my mental diet. ;)

Rowan

I agree...he's not all that bad...look at "Hide and seek", he seems to have a sort of courage hidden somewhere behind his irritating attitudes ^^ ...
However, since his apparitions in SG1, I liked him...he's that kind of geek I can't avoid to love :p

I have always loved him. I think it was the way he annoyed Carter, before getting his own set of gosimer wings.

The writers have even written him a set of Balls, (if I can use that term) that keeps growing. Reminds me of Daniel Jackson. He started out way way nerdy, but look at him now. :smokin: :wink2:

He's by far my favorite character on Atlantis. :) I think Hewlett does an amazing job with McKay's humor but also shows McKay's softer more vulnerable side. He can do so much with just a look. There's a lot going on beneath the snark.
I'm not an SG-1 watcher so have not seen the McKay episodes. I'll have to do that. I think, however, that McKay has shown a lot of growth since those days.

And he's Canadian!!

Re: Rodney

I liked him.

I'm not sayin' he was a good, upright, outstanding human being by a long shot, but he had character.

Rowan

Hey- I liked him too. He's actually my favorite character in Atlantis. Personally, while he is a bit conceited, I believe him to be a very good person. While he can be whiney, when it's really time for action he will always pull through. And may I point out that he is nowhere near as annoying of a character as Kavanagh was, nor anywhere near as egotistical.

What can I say... I like Rodney too. I recon you need someone to annoy the hell out of you in order for you too laugh... he certainly does that.

McKay: He [Anubis] has a real flair for dramatics, doesn't he?
Sam: Yeah, pretty much all the Goa'uld are like that.
McKay: But why wait? Why does the guy show up a day and a half after he started doing this whole "Prepare to meet your doom" thing?
Sam: I don't know... Maybe he wasn't sure it was gonna work.
McKay: Yea that would be an embarassment wouldn't it. "Nothing can stop the destruction that I bring upon you" and the gate shuts down. "Oops sorry, never mind."

hehehe... what a crack up