Writers for New Series Announced.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
from http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Dwnewseries.htm
also reported at SciFi Wire, Outpost Galifrey, waveguide and icwales.

In the BBC staff newspaper 'Ariel' dated 2.3.2004, the writers for the new series of are announced as Steven Moffatt, Mark Gatiss, Paul Cornell and Russell T Davies. "The writers behind The League of Gentlemen and Coupling are joining the team working on the new series of Doctor Who. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt will join a select group of writers, led by Russell T. Davies, producing scripts for the 13-part series for BBC One. Filming starts in Cardiff this spring, for transmission in 2005. Mal Young, the controller of continuing drama series, said: 'I've never received so many requests from writers and actors to be involved in a drama series, as I have had for Doctor Who.' Julie Gardner, head of drama for BBC Wales, adds: 'Finding writers for the new series of Doctor Who has been one of the best jobs I've ever had. The talent available was exceptional.' Mark Gatiss is the writer, performer and creator of The League of Gentlemen. Steven Moffatt's credits include BBC Two's Coupling, winner of the sitcom of the year at the British Comedy Awards. Other writers involved in the project include Rob Shearman, author of three Big Finish Doctor Who stories, and Paul Cornell, who wrote several original Doctor Who novels and two Doctor Who series. Russell T. Davies commented: 'I really believe we've got the best people in the business now working on the best show. They'll be writing stories ranging across the whole of time and space. 'The Doctor and Rose already have the best allies on their journey - brilliant writers with brilliant scripts. It's an honour to work with these people who are so talented; they shouldn't be allowed to travel together!"

Originally posted by Dave
'The Doctor and Rose already have the best allies on their journey

Am I missing something ?

Who's Rose ? If she's a new companion then casting must be complete. If so who is the Dr ?

I just hope with comedy writers the stories are treated seriously.

Rose

Rose is the name of the Doctor's new sidekick.

There was something in one of the British Tabloid newspapers at the weekend that Eddie Izzard had been cast as the Doctor with speculation on the Companion, but I thought that it was a continuation of a Tom Baker joke from last year. The photo they had was obviously an image manipulation.

Filming is meant to begin this Spring (2003), so the cast announcement must be soon.

Baddies

I know I read somewhere that they would concentrate on new baddies for the new series, but does that mean there will be no baddies from before at all ?

Also, I'm assuming Daleks are still off limits due to Terry Nation's estate.

(Somehow wont feel the same without a good Dalek story every couple of years)

Good to see people are still queuing at the door to write. I wonder if actors/esses are still queuing for bit parts?

I was a little concerned at first about the weight given to comedy writers. But looking back many of the Who writers were comedy based and there has always been at least a modicum of Tongue in Cheek in all the series, especially the Baker years.

Besides the small team involved in the writing have a lot of experience behind them. Davies, Cornell and Gatis have done some serious dramatic stuff and Cornell penned the Scream of the Shalka.

It will now depend upon who becomes the Doctor