Cast background

Darth Simpson

Dark Lord of Springfield
I've looked hard on the net to find out a few questions about the history of the cast but I can find nothing.

Anyone know the answers: ?

Why did Gareth and Sally leave after series 2 ?
For that matter, why did David Jackson and Steven Greif leave ?
Why did Jan Chapple leave ?

I've read articles before about Terry Nation changing the direction deliberately to have Avon as the lead, but I dont buy it. Any good writer would try to say it was intentional, but was there a falling out ? (especially loosing your main character that the series was named after - it cant be planned)

Firstly, when the producer, "DAVID MALONEY" signed everyone up to do the series - they were contracted to do 2 years (26 episodes.) After which, any of the main cast could leave if they wanted to.

"GARETH" (who, was increasingly unhappy with the restrictive 'hero' role wanted to leave).

"SALLY" (was unhappy too because she felt that she was just there to be the 'glamour', if you like, of the series) so both of them decided that they had had enough and, wanted to leave and, so they were free to do that and, did.

"DAVID JACKSON" didn't, actually want to leave but, they wanted to give a jolt to the series and, so they decided to KILL off one of the main cast and, because "DAVID'S" character of, "GAN" was the least effective character really, because of his 'limiter' plot, etc - it was decided that "DAVID/GAN" would depart.

"STEPHEN GRIEF" wasn't under the same contractual agreement and, was a little unhappy with what he was offered for the second series. Also, he wanted to do a film (in France) and, didn't want to become, type-cast for the "TRAVIS"-type baddie character. Also, he's since said he would have returned had the filming dates for the film (in France) and the second season not clashed he would have done both.

"JAN CHAPPELL", again left as she got fed up with the series and, so left, after several fourth season scripts had already been written for her character - which, ended up being done for "DAYNA" and, the new character of "SOOLIN", instead.

The 4th season episode "ANIMALS" was actually written for a relationship between the character's of, "CALLY" and, "JUSTIN" and, was hastily altered to "DAYNA" (and, suffers as a result!)

I don't think there was a falling out - the series could have ended as a result of "GARETH'S" departure - but, the production decided to take a gamble and, promote "AVON" to centre stage and, luckily it worked. True - "TERRY" wasn't happy about, "GARETH'S" departure but, when he found out from, "GARETH" the reason's etc, all was fine between the two.

Wow, thanks for the info. All these years I've lived with the stories and episodes, but only recently have I begun to wonder why things went the way they did. It's quite amazing it lasted at all. :eek:

"SALLY" (was unhappy too because she felt that she was just there to be the 'glamour', if you like, of the series) so both of them decided that they had had enough and, wanted to leave and, so they were free to do that and, did.

sigh...Oh I was so bummed when my beatiful Jenna left...Hi servalon

I am Markus elsewhere :D