AVON to be RECAST!!!

AVON

One thing that has suddenly emerged is that "B7E" because of the split with "PAUL DARROW" - still plan to use "AVON" - however, by recasting the role! :mad:

Most "FANS" on various Forums are totally against this idea and think that "AVON" should not be in it at all - but, the link should now be "ORAC" - that would still link old to new and not upset US!

Seems, it was never definitely planned that "PAUL" would be playing "AVON" - which strangely only seems to be the case since "PAUL" left "B7E"??? Somehow, that doen't ring true with the majority of US FANS!

As, a result a mysterious new "Rebel group" by the name of "FB7" has appeared and, the "REBELLION" that "B7E" was intending for the new show - is, not exactly the one they might get!

http://www.geocities.com/freedomforb7/

Let the REBELLION BEGIN!

Its disturbing how similar this story is to Battlestar Galactica. I know in that situation Richard Hatch (Apollo) had been trying for years to bring Galactica back to our screens. When it finally got the OK, the new project leaders wanted nothing more to do with Hatch. The result was that the new show was absolutely nothing like the old one and most fans felt let down and more than a little betrayed. (not to mention casting Starbuck and Boomer as women)

It pains me to think of any Blake's seven project without Darrow. I know how keen he was to get involved (after seeing him talk at cons). Even if he was not acting in the piece (in his own worlds - You would not want to see him in leather trousers nowadays) but with his input I felt safe in the knowledge that the show would not be pulled apart too much.

I never thought I would hear myself say this about any sci-fi but I'm not sure I could watch it now.

BTW there seems to be no mention yet of Survalan. I live in the next town to Jaceline Pierce and have seen her a couple of times over the last few years - she still looks fantastic. If she was in the new show, I might just be tempted back.

They've said that "SERVALAN" and, "ORAC" will definitely be returning - although, whether or, not with "JACKIE PEARCE" and, "PETER TUDDENHAM" (doing them we don't know). Probably, a similar situation as, with "PAUL".

Strangely, all the "PAUL" was never doing the "AVON" character, etc, only seemed to suddenly spring up after, "PAUL" departed the project. As, all the publicity, and, what they also said was that "PAUL" was reprising "AVON"!!! Inotherwords, they contradicted themselves on this matter!!!

It's the first I've heard of this. I had been following Paul Darrow's lack of progress via the newsletter they sent out periodically and this does smack of Battlestar Galactica.

I agree with both your comments. If they want to go for a "reimaging" of the original story, fine! But if this is a sequel then the original cast should be used where possible, or else a totally new "next generation".

"PAUL" attended a US convention last weekend, and, gave more news on recent matters to BBCi cult:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/2004/02/18/9546.shtml

They are doing a story based on "TERRY'S" idea for a "B7" Revival. Plus, a cartoon that will be a remake of the original!!!

"AVON" is still the main way of linking the original to the new and, then the NEW 7 will continue, possibly after this mini-series - IF it's successful.

Without, "PAUL" playing "AVON" it won't be "AVON" and, they would be better doing something without that character, altogether. Which, would please many FANS.

Better, still do a B7 story that is totally not connected to the original except, for mentioning the original as, a folklore - legend type of way.

I'd totally agree with that. The only reason they would have a story featuring Avon would be to still have Paul Darrow in the project. Without him it seems pointless having a story around Avon. As you say, it might as well feature totally new people. At least that way it would make sense to fans. Re-casting the best character and actor from the original is outragious.

Much as I loved Darrow's Avon, I would rather have no Avon if Darrow is gone. If they need someone from the original there are other options. Villa would be the obvious one. At least with him there it would feel a bit more like Blakes' 7. The other option, I think, is Jenna. She is the only one we never saw die (except maybe Cally) But we were not there when Jenna supposedly died and she could easily still be out there (lord knows we were told Blake was dead enough times before he re-appeared)

The other thing I dont like is the idea of the animated series. Why remake the originals ? To me it suggests that they were not good enough and need remaking. This is nonsense. If they are doing an animated series, why not just have some new stories set in the time before they all died. Or even some of the radio plays or books. Either way it should be something to add to the old series not to replace it.

EXACTLY - an animated series that intends to basically be a re-make of the original "B7" is a total waste of time and, money! Seems they have "CHRIS BOUCHER", possibly, onboard to do the animmated but, not the live-action mini-series???

Plus, IF "PAUL" won't be doing the live-action doubt he'd do just the voice for, "AVON" in the animation, either - so, would kinda mess that up too and, it would hardly be all original then - when one of the main character's wouldn't be voiced by the original actor then, would it???

That is an even worse idea that not having, "PAUL" playing "AVON". I maybe, classed by some, as being camp as Christmas, darling but, I'm, certainly not gay and, I definitely prefer, "AVON" to be all MALE, thank you, very much!

THey should just let it lie, it's over and if Paul Darrow can't play Avon then there's nothing to resurrect. Just put these cretins back in their boxes.