Disappointed

markpud

Former Ascifi.com mod
That's my over-riding feeling after watching Revolutions...

It was a pretty good movie, the visuals were of course stunning, and it answered many questions, but it also posed a few more...

But I don't think this movie was as good as the first two, the first in particular..

There was much less time spent in the Matrix, so there was much less in the way of cool fight scenes, and I felt far too much of humans in mech-warriors firing endlessly at sentinels. There's only so much of that one can absorb.

They didn't build up the support characters enough, for example the woman who was firing the missiles in the Zion battle, who was she? If she was introduced I forgot her.. And the young boy who took over when the General went down, and opened the gate. These characters could have been embellished a lot more before the battle started, and then I would have felt more attachment to them, care about their fate more..

They of course left enough openings for a fourth movie, but I suspect they would only get weaker still, like the Alien series...

I think you're expressing what a lot of filmgoers were feeling. Yes, there was less time spent in the matrix (which I told people who asked) and I knew going in that the fights wouldn't be as beautiful and "cool" as they were in the first two films, but the point of this film was to bring the real war home. War is brutal and dirty and often repetative. It's not something we want to see or experience, but we needed to see it so we would know what Neo was trying to stop.

You don't remember the "kid" from Reloaded or Anamatrix? I was pretty attatched to him. The chick was more of an extention of Zee, not really a character in her own right. They probably could have fleshed her out a little more, if only for Zee's sake, but her purpose in the film was to let us follow Zee around the battle field and see just how much she was willing to risk in order to see Link again.

Answer this one for me, Mark. Did you ever read the New Testament of the bible? All the way to the end? Didn't you feel dissatisfied by it, too? With all the biblical parallels in The Matrix, didn't you kind of suspect that the film would end on kind of a downer?

Last question. What do you think about your own existance now?

I just got back from seeing Revolutions.. and my brain hurts. I know the reviews were mostely negative but on the whole i think the story ended in a satifying way. it ended pretty much as it had to. im gonna have to re read my postings from the spring to see how acurate my predictions and interpretations were after reloaded. (i think i will be generaly regarded as a clever boy.)
anyway let the discussions begin!

I suspect Markpud didn't see the 'Kid's story' from Animatrix, and I agree with pkgrl about the chick with Zee being more a way to develop Zee's character, but I agree with him about those endless scenes in the Docking Bay.

For a start, if there were that many Sentinels attacking, there is no way they could last out that long.

And more within the Matrix scenes would have been good, or more strange places like 'Mobil'.

I can't see a fourth movie. That should be the end.

I haven't seen the Animatrix, so if "the kid" figures more there then fair enough, I will try to watch Animatrix some time! The comment about not remembering him from Reloaded brings me to another point, the timing of the release of Revolutions compared to the DVD release of Reloaded. These were about 1 month apart, and I, like a lot of people haven't bought Reloaded yet, and therefore haven't seen it since I saw the movie back in May. I'll probably get Reloaded for Christmas, so I'll be able to fill my self in on all the bits I've forgotten...

I'm aware of the biblical parallels in the Matrix trilogy, I have read the New Testament, but it was a long time ago so my level of detail on the Revelations stuff is pretty low now.

My own existence - thats a question and a half! I do appreciate that we could all be living in a Matrix type environment, and all the other questions that brings up about our awareness of the true nature of the universe, but on the whole I watch movies for escapism, and I don't tend to ponder these things too deeply (especially given that my existence at this moment is focused toward finishing my thesis and graduating, and it's tough to see beyond that).