Star Trek Movie Poll

What would you like to see in the next Trek movie?

• Have one more film with the Next Generation cast and then focuse on the adventures of Captain Macken

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitestar

To sell a film helps to have a following - people will stay away if there's no sense of familiarity.

The big thing trek needs is better writing - frankly the Next Gen films have been pretty poorly conceived and scripted for much of them, and have seriously lacked the sense of dedication, commitment, and polish that some of the earlier original cast movies had.

The Next Gen films have often seemed like just extended Next Gen episodes, and lacked the sense of scale. General lack-lustre scripting and forced plot devices make the run pretty disppointing. Ultimately, the moveis seemed to have served little purpose that cash-cows, rather than any real desire to tell a story.

In which case, any future Trek movies would have to learn by the errors of the previous movies and try to correct those errors. Somehow I'm not sure they will, though.

On the "Bring Back Kirk" thread a group of nerds showed how a Trek film could be made completely epic. If the Trek franchise looked to learn from the fans real wishes, instead of movies as mere cash cows, then maybe we'll see a decent film.

Pandering to a small group of novel readers is a bad idea as well - you need a wider marketing base than that to sell the film.

2c. :)

I said:
The big thing trek needs is better writing - frankly the Next Gen films have been pretty poorly conceived and scripted for much of them, and have seriously lacked the sense of dedication, commitment, and polish that some of the earlier original cast movies had.

In which case, any future Trek movies would have to learn by the errors of the previous movies and try to correct those errors. Somehow I'm not sure they will, though.

On the "Bring Back Kirk" thread a group of nerds showed how a Trek film could be made completely epic. If the Trek franchise looked to learn from the fans real wishes, instead of movies as mere cash cows, then maybe we'll see a decent film.

Pandering to a small group of novel readers is a bad idea as well - you need a wider marketing base than that to sell the film.

2c. :)

Yes, I agree that the current Trek films need better writing and direction. The movie series is in trouble and in serious need for a makeover. However, I fear that that will not change so long as Rick Berman is in charge. From the moment Roddenberry hand-picked him as the new man in charge of Trek, I was not impressed with his work.

Even when Roddenberry stepped aside due to illness, he was still a vital consultant to Rick Berman and the Next Generation television show did well until he died. When Roddenberry died, the saga died with him. The only Next Generation flick that was worthy of a Trek movie was Star Trek: First Contact.

So, Berman deserves some credit, as well as all the blame too. Personally, I don't have anything against Berman, however, he does not care about the Star Trek saga and he is burnt out. He needs to step aside and let someone like J. Michael Straczynski to take over.

You mentioned that developing a film based on a novel series wouldn't work, well, you never know until you try. In regards, to bringing back Captain Kirk, no, I don't think so. The character of Kirk died in Star Trek: Generations and he should rest in peace. To bring him back (ala Spock in Star Trek 2) would cheapen his sacrifice. Besides, William Shatner is a terrible actor. However, I think Trek needs to take a break for a decade and come back with fresh new ideas and concepts. That's my two cents worth. :D

Whitestar

I chose the first one because I agree with I, Brian that familiarity needs to be there in order to sell it. The Deep Space Nine cast would be interesting but that show was more a soap opera to me, I don't know how good it would be.

I agree with both I, Brian and Whitestar that if the writing isn't any good it won't matter a bit. Only two of the movies with the original crew were any good imo, so regardless of the cast the script has to be top notch.

Hi whitestar - I agree that literally bringing back Kirk wouldn't necessarily be a good idea - but have you seen the trailer, and what an epic story they build around that concept? That's what's really missing from the Star Trek films - that sense of "epic".

Maybe a completely new angle would work - I guess my complaint is simply that the writing is so filled with loose ends between the various shows, that simply creatnig a new set of strings would be to repeat the problem, rather than correct it.

I'm not sure how much blame I can put on Berman - but he did seem more interested in pushing the commercial element - but without the creative vision really needed to bring Star Trek into the 21st century. I mean, when you look at NextGen, DS9, Voyager - they are all still basically rehashing the original series and 1950's sci-fi elements. It really needs bringing up to date, and creating fresh originality.

Good comments, though - I agree with a lot of what you say. And apologies for not seeing your above post earlier.

they sould "Have one more film with the Next Generation cast and then have Captain Riker take over" :D It would provied a nice transiten into a new season. :p
Maybe he could take over in the middle of the episode after the caption dies in a tragic accident on board the Enterprise or on a mission. :eek:
A majority of the plot could focus on him getting used to his new duties as caption while dealing with the job at hand. ;)
Yes I do have to much free time to thnk about these things, the mind of a hopful writter must alway have a lot of free time :p

I voted for one more next Gen film. I don't think this is going to happen. I think they are going to do a film without anyone from the series. Maybe that idea about a young Kirk, Spock and McCoy meeting for the first time.
My own preference would be one big film with the various Captains meeting. Spock (He's alive in the Next Gen time), Pickard, Ryker, Janeway, Sisko and maybe even a cameo of Archer. Again, this wouldn't be likely and would cost a fortune, but I think it would be great.
If not that, a Trek film combining the various casts of the different series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a film using the NextGen/DS9/Voyager casts. I know that Patrick Stewart--upset about the last film's failure--has reportedly said he'll never do another Trek film.

I really liked DS9. That show had some real character dynamics and a dark edge. I loved it.

I'd love to see a Voyager movie. DS9 never did it for me, but I think I just wasn't into the space station thing. I still love the old one ship, one crew, go out into space and encounter bad guys scenario. Voyager was the last Trek I was addicted to (can't get into Enterprise no matter how hard I try, and how much I WANT to love it), and I know there won't ever be another TNG movie, unfortunately.

what could they do with voyager??? they got home... i suppose it could all be a dream and they are still stuck in the delta quadrant...

i chose the "Captain Mackenzie Calhoun"... i read many of the books and liked a lot of the concepts in those... i liked the communications officer with the irish name (been a while since reading them) who could pick up all the languages... kinda reminded me of hoshi off enterprise and max (the anthro-archaeologist) off the tv series crusade... always felt someone that clever should be full to bursting with arrogance... :D

(what could they do with voyager??? they got home)

Easily solved. We get Q to toss them back into the Delta Quadrant on a whim. :D

Even if Stewart isn't going to do it again, I can see a film using Janeway, Ryker, Sisko and maybe Spock. With various characters from the different Trek series thrown in. I think the Trek films need to be an event, and combining casts would do it. Especially teaming the Captains.

can't see leonard nimoy appearing in any again... however, a combination of various shows would be nice to see... most of the casts can't find work anymore, so i think you could get them cheap... hehehe

I personally like the TNG movies a lot, First Contact being my favorite, but I think they would benefit from being written with a much slower pace. There seems to be a desperatation in the screenplays, as if they have to fill the modern day stylings of the current blockbusters, when quite frankly the characters are so well known that this need not be the case.

Now I am all for huge plots of epic scales, so bring those on, but lets not forget about our characters. One of the things the TOS movies did much better than TNG ones was show the human element. I love the scenes in the TOS movies which simply show old friends enjoying each others friendship, for example the camping scene in V, Kirk's birthday in II, and the zoo scenes in IV. The TNG crew have a natural screen chemistry which should be exploited, I do not wish to see the TNG movies finish, but I think a change in screenplay direction would be welcomed. More subplots which show the personal side of the TNG crew please. Just my thoughts on the matter... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.