Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch"

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
I'm so excited (even while being a little nervous about the storm) because I just signed up to get previews of Tad Williams' latest book, "Shadowmarch". Since I've liked his previous fantasies, I'm feeling that I'll enjoy this one. I promise to let you guys know how it goes.

You know, it's kind of funny. As far as I know Williams' Shadowmarch Project started quite a while back, but was rumored to have been abandoned due to lack of interest on the part of the readers...

I don't know, maybe he is making another try, or what I had heard was wrong in the first place... Anyways, curious to hear what you think of it. :)

You may be right. This is a preview copy, going out to a few people in an attempt to get the word out on the book itself. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

Please let me know if you can find a plot synopsis of this book. I looked everywhere, including the site, and could not find one.

intensityxx said:
Please let me know if you can find a plot synopsis of this book. I looked everywhere, including the site, and could not find one.
I should be able to give you one soon as the materials will arrive by mail in a day or two. I'll keep you posted.

I've received my previews. There are three of them and they each contain two chapters. My first impression was a good one. The cover art isn't inspired but it is interesting and well done. I gulped down the first two previews almost immediately. So far, very well written (except for one error that was either an attempt at poetic language or just poor grammar) and the story is interesting. I don't really have a synopsis as of yet as I've just been introduced to the main characters so far.

A little basic background: Shadowmarch is where the story takes place. It is called Shadowmarch (a knickname for Southmarch) because of its proximity to what is called the Shadowlands. Which seems to be some sort of barren and ungodly otherworld bounded by a curtain of shadow. This curtain of shadow often shifts like the tides but suddenly it has actually moved, and moved forward - toward Shadowmarch. Ominous. Elsewhere, the King is being held for ransom and the King's daughter is proposed to be a part of the ransom. That's about as far as I've gotten.

I haven't read the third preview yet as I decided I'd better post here before I read it since I have to get to bed early this evening and I might forget to post.

In any case, so far so good. I'm definitely going to opt for the full version as soon as it becomes available as I'm into the story now and I need to find out what happens next. I'll give a full review once I've read the entire thing.

So, there you go Sira, worth checking out.

I've been looking forward for this to actually be published for ages! Hopefully this means it definately will be:) I'm a big Williams fan, especially Otherland.

Today I finally received the full novel. I'll get to reading it right away and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I just wanted to add some background on this as this is stuff I didn't know (Brood may know already but the rest might be interested).

Shadowmarch began life as a pilot for a series on the SciFi Channel. However, when there was resistance against a 'fantasy' series, Tad Williams began a 'web-serial' which means that he posted new chapters on a weekly basis on the internet. He (Williams) says that this unusual way of 'publishing' also allowed him to get immediate feedback from the readers and subsequently that feedback influenced the story itself. Kind of cool, isn't it? I'm enjoying the story so far and even got a little chuckle over the fact that a god would keep bees and then allow others to consult them...but that is the kind of stuff you will have to discover on your own as I'm not about to give you the entire story :) .

Last edited:
I'll be posting a review when I'm finished as soon as possible. My work schedule has kept me pretty busy (taking more shifts on the second job to help the cash flow) so it took me a while to finish 2001 so I could move on. I've decided that I'll have a contest when I'm finished to give away the book so stay tuned!

You can read the first five chapters of Shadowmarch online, at <tadwilliams.com>.

Two chapters convinced me (all right, I had pretty much made up my mind already) that I must read this book.

The book is available online at amazon.com but you can also request your local library to get it as well.

I'm only about halfway through and it is taking forever. Depression makes me not want to read (go figure!) it isn't a reflection on the book itself - so far I'm enjoying the story.

I look forward to a review too as I am considering getting this book :D

I'm working my way through Shadowmarch, too. Finding it quite interesting and entertaining, but the frequent changes in point of view do make it easier to put it down for a day or two.

Yes, yes, I get your subtle reminder...I'm working on the review now but have to work today so it should be online sometime this evening or tomorrow morning. If it isn't you can cough at me again :D