Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch"

No Rahl, I've not read that book by Penman. Have you read anything by:
Greg Keyes
Paul Kearney
J.V. Jones
Kate Elliott

If you've not yet read JV Jone's Sword Of Shadows trilogy of which only the first 2 books are out then do so! It's brilliant dark fantasy. Don't read the other books by Jnoes as they're nowehere near the same standard.

Greg Keyes current quartet Kingdom of Thorn and Bone of which book 3 is due in the first half of next year is also very good.

Paul Kearney's Mark Of Ran is one of the best books I've read for 2005.

Kate Eliott's final book in the Crown of Stars series Book 7 is due soon, so this series is well worth the read.

i didn't enjoy shadowmarch that much. i found i didn't care about any of the characters. williams may have developed as a writer, but i think i have developed as a reader and become a lot fussier and this didn't do it for me. *shrug* am disapopinted because i did love his earlier stuff. it was one of the first real fantasy books i ever read

the_faery_queen said:
i didn't enjoy shadowmarch that much. i found i didn't care about any of the characters. williams may have developed as a writer, but i think i have developed as a reader and become a lot fussier and this didn't do it for me. *shrug* am disapopinted because i did love his earlier stuff. it was one of the first real fantasy books i ever read
Well I certainly agree it's not as good as his M,S,T series and I quite liked his other series Otherland too.

Maybe you could check out Steven Erikson's Malazan series, the best fantasy series I've ever read OH and welcome to the forums!...:D

thanks :) and i might do. i am a bit odd with recomendations, cos the two things i was recomended at one point, the black company and the briar king, i thought were both awful! but i do need to read more new authors, cos i am running out! :)

ive not read his otherland. am a fussy fantasy reader. i have a set of anal pointless rules in my head of the sort of things i will read and that broke one of them. *shrug*

the_faery_queen said:
ive not read his otherland. am a fussy fantasy reader. i have a set of anal pointless rules in my head of the sort of things i will read and that broke one of them. *shrug*
Well perhaps you could briefly outline the key areas or facets or rules you go through with your mental list, so that I can perhpas point you in the right direction. I for one have recommended Black Company and Brair King series to others becasue I enjoyed them but neither are outstanding series, so give me an idea of what you're after..:)

In fact send me a private mesage if you like rather than us going off on a tangent on this current thread...:D

Book Two, SHADOWPLAY, is now scheduled to be published in January 2007 in the US (Daw) and the UK (Orbit).

nixie said:
2007? its a conspiracy find a series I like and they move the publishing date of the next installment:(
Hence the beauty of the Masterwork series.

Although I wasn't too keen on Shadowmarch, I have got Shadowplay on my list of books to get !

Hello.. just joined, happy to be here. A friend loaned Shadowmarch to me about a week ago. Just finished it today. I can see where all of the different tie-ins could get confusing. I really enjoyed the book, but I was a bit thrown off balance at the end of it. You know the feeling when you are at a really good part in a book.. and you forget it on a park bench? I did a search to see what the next book was.. hoping that it was already out.. and found this lovely forum. Thanks for the info and the recommendations.

You'll find plenty of each from this bunch. Welcome to the forums -- pull up a chair (or a pool, whichever is appropriate) and join in. Hope to see your input!

The same friend just told me she has the Dragonbone Chair, which I will be picking up from her tomorrow. Wish me luck and enjoyment. I read the War of Flowers recently as well. Tad is quickly becoming a top favorite. McCaffery may have to move over a bit.

Now, I have The Dragonbone Chair (in storage, at the moment), but I never got around to reading that one, for some reason. But William did impress me, and I really ought to dig it out at some point. I can't quite tell whether you're someone who's been into fantasy for quite a while, a newbie, etc., but you'll find plenty of mates here (the fantasy fen do seem to outnumber the sf fen a bit, but there's plenty of crossover), and even the long-time reader (like me) gets to hear of a lot of things they've never come across before. It's a friendly bunch (friendliest forum I've come across, actually), so I hope you enjoy. Anyway, nice to see you around.

Greetings from a confused fantasy and sci-fi fan. My brother gave me Tad William's "Shadowmarch" for Christmas, but not having heard of Tad Williams before I haven't started it yet. (mostly into Dragonlance). After reading this post, I am a bit confused. The copy I have contains three parts, Blood (part 1), Moonlight (Part 2) and Fire (Part 3). The back of the book mention the Shadowmarch Trilogy, so is Shadowmarch book 1 or the entire trilogy? (since it's three parts, I mean. And clocks in at about 830 pages plus appendix, which is quite a bit for book 1 of 3...)

And besides, what is it about anyway? As I said, I'm afraid I haven't even heard about Tad before being into Dragonlance and all. ;)

i just bought this because of this toppic (note: i have not read this thread) i have read the first one in the otherland seiries and it is realy good, but thats not the point. i wanted to say i do like the sound of this book and am considering reading it after Asimovs Foundation which i am just about to start, i will have hopefuly have finished asimov by the end of next week, though i have to say it took me about 5 weeks to read short history of nearly everyting which i find shamefull because it isnot that long.