Herbert, Frank: The Dosadi Experiment

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
What did you think of this?

It's a long time since I read it, but I ask because I remember being very disappointed in it. I'd liked the 'Dune' trilogy, so I thought this would be the same, but I just didn't rate it much.

Anyone disagree? Tell me why?

If you haven't read it, this is what the cover says:

The Dosadi Experiment: Frank herbert's new novel, a swirling, vividly complex stroy set on the mst alien and challenging woorld he has yet created -- a brutal prison planet where 850 million beings are confined in 40 square kilometres.

The Dosadi Experiment: a stunning evocation of alien cultures, and of an experiment so monstrous it threatens the entire galaxy.

BEYOND THE GOD WALL

Generations of a tormented human-alien people, caged on a toxic planet, conditioned by constant hunger and war — this is the Dosadi Experiment, and it has succeeded too well.

For the Dosadi have bred for vengeance as well as cunning, and they have learned how to pass through the shimmering God Wall to exact their dreadful revenge on the Universe that created them. . . .

Should I read it again?

I thought it was VERY GOOD.

Like the Dune series, it delves into the inner workings of people, society, behavior, adaptation, and how external pressures affect these.

I consider it a great work, but like much of the Dune series after the first book it is not for everyone.

If you like bleeding edge speculative fiction, then this one should be on your list.