1.02: Dead Girl Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Original airdate July 03 (US), September 26 03 (UK)

Info from www.epguides.com/deadlikeme

George tries to shirk her new grim reaper responsibilities, but discovers that doing so leads to nasty consequences for the souls. She also attempts to get a real job by once again gracing the doorway of the Happy Time Temp Agency.

b: 04-Jul-2003 pc: 101 w: Bryan Fuller d: Kevin Dowling

We learn in this episode that Mason killed himself drilling a hole in his head, in search of a permanent high when he was 27 (1939 - 1966).
Meet the director. His name may not be familiar to you, but Kevin Downling is the director of three acclaimed feature films: The Sum of Us (1994, starring Russel Crowe), Mojave Moon (1996, with Danny Aiello & Angelina Jolie) and Last Rites (1998, with Randy Quaid). He also directed two tv-movies: Silk Hope (1999, with Farrah Fawcett) and The Last Dance (2000, with Maureen O'Hara and Eric Stoltz). His tv-series credtis includes episodes of 'Touched by an Angel', 'Early Edition', 'Judging Amy', 'Gilmore Girls', 'Ed', 'The District' and 'Dragnet'.

I really liked this ep, an improvement on the Pilot, and it managed to maintain that balance between humour and the more serious elements.

I was really having a laugh-out-loud moment with the opening credits (IIRC they were different from the Pilot?) with the grim reapers on the treadmills, so funny! :lol:

I loved the little plot with Mason trying to get the cash out of the machines and then being run down! :lol:

When they go to the morgue to visit the dead guy still with his soul intact, and we see that he had to actually live through his own autopsy, and George realizes (kinda ;)) the mistake she'd made and the consequences of her non-action, that was when i really sympathized with her for the first time. She's having to take responsibility now she's undead, whereas before she could always rely on someone else to take care of her, nice character development.

I was worried that i just wouldn't care what she was going through, but the writers (and the actors) are excellent.

I think that I liked the pilot better. I don't find this 'fall-around laughing', it's amusing, but it is very, very dark humour. I do like the way that themes from the pilot were continued on:

-- Her family are obviously going to be very prominant in the ongoing plot. In the pilot George was seen as being the odd one, now she is normal and they are all strange. Reggie especially!

-- The job at the 'happy' place. It was great how she dealt with the 'her big brown eyes' woman receptionist this time round.

Unfortunately I missed most of this one as a phone call came at exactly the wrong time, but I definitely think this episode improved over the pilot.

One thing I did notice was the voice-over - it seemed to be even more prevalent than I recalled. I never really noticed before, and it is something that could easily be overdone.

I wonder if her family are going to continue to be (fairly) main characters? It seems that the show is centred on Georgia, how are they going to keep making her stories relevant to the ongoing lives of her family? I notice that the actress who plays her mother is in the title credits, so that suggests that they will remain prominent.

I really really really like Roxy. I don't know if any of you watched "A Different World" during the late 80s (it was a Cosby Show spin off) but the actress who plays Roxy played the spoilt southern girl, Whitney. Quite a difference!

I think I'm going to be contrary to everybodyelse. This one was not as good as the pilot.

It was trying too hard to be comic resorting to toilet humour which it really did not need.

Am I the only one with an urge to smack George in the mouth?
If the sulking pout doesn't ease somewhere it is going to set!

LOL Ray. What you like eh? I do sometimes feel the same as you?Am I the only one with an urge to smack George in the mouth?

She does seem like a typical teenager with all the hangups but with the downside being that she is also dead.

I do like this programme. I do have a strange sense of humour so anything like this does make me giggle.

Had to laugh when seeing that the dead guy as Angelle said about 'living' thru his own autopsy. Ewwwwwwww!!! What a thought eh?

annette :)

I really liked this episode, I thought it gave very powerful imagery of how important the reaper's job is, and what happens if she doesn't take the soul. That poor guy being trapped in his body whilst being autopsied, not nice at all..

note about the music

I think the music in this show is very important. I just realised that it is written by Stewart Copeland (formerly of The Police and Curved Air). He has been responsible for a great deal of film and TV music recently.

Yeah, I also think the camera work and editing is very nice, it gives it a certain energy.

Have my doubts about the voiceover style though, but it does work ok sometimes...

Originally posted by angelle myst

I loved the little plot with Mason trying to get the cash out of the machines and then being run down! :lol:

When they go to the morgue to visit the dead guy still with his soul intact, and we see that he had to actually live through his own autopsy, and George realizes (kinda ;)) the mistake she'd made and the consequences of her non-action, that was when i really sympathized with her for the first time. She's having to take responsibility now she's undead, whereas before she could always rely on someone else to take care of her, nice character development.

Yeah, that was two of the greates moments of the episode. I totally enyoy both. I really feel for George when she discovers what happen to the guy. I think she have the good intention thinking that is she doesn't appear maybe the guy wouldn't die. But not only he die, it was worst than be dead.

The part of Mason and the traffic machines were just hilarious. :lol:

Also all the thing about Happy Times was funny. Poor George.

Krystal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.