Dennis L.McKiernan..

Arwynn

punk-rock pixie
i found a book of his at a library-in their box of free books! so i took it home and read it and i loved it.. it is called..Voyage of the fox rider. since then i have read a few of his other books..he has a series called the mithgar series..i tried to get into it but i wasn't in the headspace at the time to read about so much war..anyways.. has anyone read and like his stuff? and if you have read voyage of the fox rider and other books by him, which ones should i read?

fern

For those interested I read his Iron Tower trilogy some time back. It's pretty derivative fantasy, something of a Tolkien clone but I quite liked it. I'd say its more of a YA book as I remember reading them as a teenager and feeling as much at the time.

Thanks for the update Rune, maybe you should be asking Fantastic Fiction for a special commision..;)

Seriuosly, they are pretty good for when you want to check out listings of author's works I must say.

GOLLUM said:
Thanks for the update Rune, maybe you should be asking Fantastic Fiction for a special commision..;)

Seriuosly, they are pretty good for when you want to check out listings of author's works I must say.

I'd be lost without that site GOLLUM, I think it's a good none selling site for getting info on authors. I've even made request too of them for authors they don't list :)

I'd never come across that site before, and now I'm happily trawling away! Cheers!

I remember starting the first book of McKiernan's Iron Tower trilogy, but I ditched it pretty quick. As Gollum said, very deriviative, which I can't usually stand....

I believe there is a thread here somewhere in which our own Kelpie explains the fact that, yes, he is derivative of LOTR but for a reason. Can't recall just which forum it was in just now, probably a search on his name would get it.

Knowing that his work is derivative has not lessened my enjoyment of it. I've not tried the Iron Tower books but I've read all of the Mithgar series and enjoyed them.

If you liked the Mithgar series you'll probably enjoy his original Iron Tower trilogy. Here's something on Mckiernan and his relationship to LOTR:

In 1977 whilst riding his motrobike, McKiernan was hit by a car which had crossed the median. He was seriously injured and confined to a bed in traction for many months. It was during his recuperation that McKiernan's writing career began and he boldly began a sequel to Tolkien's LOTR. The publisher, Doubleday showed an interest in his work and tried to obtain permission from Tolkien's estate but was denied. Doubleday then asked McKiernan to rewrite his story, placing the characters in a different fictitious world and to also write a prequel supporting it. The prequel, out of necessity, resembles The Lord of the Rings and some critics have said McKiernan is imitating Tolkien's epic work. McKiernan has subsequently developed stories in the series that followed along a story line different from those that could have possibly been taken by Tolkien.

I think Dragondoom is DM's best work. I also enjoyed the Iron tower trilogy, the silver call dualogy and eye of the hunter.

I look at the Iron tower trilogy(unlike Tolkiens work) as something that I can read, want to continue to read and actually enjoy reading.

Reminds me a bit of Tolkien . Ive read the Irons Tower books and found the to be quite good . :) I don't see many of the Mithgar book in the store. are they ever going to reissue the series? :unsure:

Last edited: