This Season's "cliff hanger" -- BAD Writing! Bad Judgement!

Originally posted by ray gower
Nothing wrong with episodes that concentrate on a single character if done properly and they do not become the sole focus of whole series (aka ST Voyager).

It allows them (the actors) to show us (the viewr) deeper into the character.

But after seven years it might be a little late to show us that Dan is actually a mad scientist at heart?

Daniel has always been a scientist, something they've had an unfortunate tendency to gloss over on the show. But they weren't showing us Daniel was a mad a scientist at heart--actually it wouldn't be the first time they've done if that was the case either. :D

In any case, Daniel has been a civilian member, a very trusted and high ranking civilian member of a top secret military organization. He has taken part in many dangerous military operations, more than some people in the military I dare say by this time, for many years now. He's used various guns(and with a good deal of proficiency), alien weaponry and even flown spaceships. Heck he's died, ascended and returned to life.

It is actually more likely they would send just Daniel and Dr. Lee, just a couple of scientists just going to the jungle to search for ancient ruins, than to send in a whole military operation which would attract alot of attention and the need to answer questions from a foreign government who would wonder why in the world the US military has such a big interest in something in their jungle. Even captured it looks to the Hondurans like it is simply a matter of concern for kidnapped citizens.

Actually a couple years ago Ewan McGregor did a Jungle survival special with Ray Mears, the survival expert in Honduras, where they visited archaeologist Dr Chris Begley, from the University of Kentucky who was digging some very obscure culture knows as the Prehistoric People of the Mosquito Coast in caves of the rain forest--so it actually isn't as "far-fetched" as some of you may be thinking.

Most likely the reason it was done that way was because it allowed for a good cover story both to explain their being there and also in the event anything happened.

It is one of the few times we got to see Daniel doing his "thing" on Earth. The Curse was different, it was pretty much all in Chicago and then a brief sojourn to a sandy land supposed to be Egypt and it was more a murder mystery involving the goa'uld. We got a good contrast between the nervous Dr Lee and Daniel, who wasn't at all worried over whether their guide would be there, knowing they'd find another if he wasn't by "having a few beers and making a few friends", which leads one to think he'd dealt with such a problem before on exploratory digs. He was focused. I could imagine what he'd have been like on one of his own digs back when he used to do that stuff.

As for the rest of the episode, I actually liked the supersoldier--a little too much of the slow-mo but I thought he was fairly creepy. I liked that part of the episode as well, though I liked the jungle part better.

Dig...

Originally posted by Amaunet
I could imagine what he'd have been like on one of his own digs back when he used to do that stuff.

I would have *loved* to work a dig with him. Intensity can be a "Good Thing" [tm] :D

Rowan

Re: Dig...

Originally posted by Rowan

I would have *loved* to work a dig with him. Intensity can be a "Good Thing" [tm] :D

Rowan

Didn't you love his quiet but very firm, "Go" when Lee and Regelio stood there just looking at him when he told them to start looking. I can just imagine he'd not have been a professor you'd want to slack off with. Nor a dig leader you'd want to be lazy or careless around. :D

It's funny to think he'd most likely have spent at least some of his time teaching university before he joined SG-1, at the very least he'd have been a TA when he was earning his post-graduate degrees. He'd probably have been enthusiastic, interesting but I'd imagine rather tough as well.

But anyway, for me, an episode like Evolution Part One, gives a tiny bit of insight into that aspect of his character while still advancing an Stargate storyline of the fight against the Goa'uld.

Working with...

He'd probably be fairly demanding, but in a gentle sort of way - at least that's how I envision him. I had the pleasure of working with two excavation leaders a couple of years ago who I think he would be like. They new I was really nothing more than grunt labor [had never taken any formal classes in arch], but was smart enough to read and learn. They let me stretch my skills and mind.

And at the end of the month, I found myself being asked back the next year to work as an assistant supervisor in excavation.

I see Daniel like that - always helping and teaching and sharing.

Rowan

Re: Working with...

Originally posted by Rowan
He'd probably be fairly demanding, but in a gentle sort of way - at least that's how I envision him. I had the pleasure of working with two excavation leaders a couple of years ago who I think he would be like. They new I was really nothing more than grunt labor [had never taken any formal classes in arch], but was smart enough to read and learn. They let me stretch my skills and mind.

And at the end of the month, I found myself being asked back the next year to work as an assistant supervisor in excavation.

I see Daniel like that - always helping and teaching and sharing.

Rowan

I agree, that is very much Daniel as I see him and as he's been shown(on those occassions when we've gotten to see it). Daniel is not "stingy" or proprietary with his knowledge. He's very generous and open with it. He seems to love to share what he knows.

Unfortunately he isn't really able to do that much, being part of a secret organization but whenever he has the chance too, he seems to light up. Of course what I also like about him is that he is also open about not knowing things--he just straight out admits "I don't know", "I have no idea". :)

BTW, that's really cool what happened on your own digging experiences.