TV Guide article - POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR SOME PEEPS

Nekhen

The Princess of Abydos
Hey guys,

Saw this article in the Sunday Mail TV Guide based on an interview late last year with Amanda Tapping. Thought I would share it - though it does seem to have some inaccuracies! (eg they are refering to last week's ep as if it's this week's) The author of the article isn't named.

FINAL FRONTIER

In Thursday's episode of Stargate Sg-1, Major Samantha Carter's mission is to find Colonel Jack O'Neill and Harry Maybourne whose lives are in danger after being stranded on a deserted planet.

Amanda Tapping (above), who plays Carter, was in Australia earlier this year to shoot the final episodes of the current sixth series. At that time, the green light was given for the seventh series, which has since started production.

Tapping said Stargate Sg-1 had earned its place in mainstream TV because it's set in the present and its characters are fallible.
"We make a lot of mistakes, but we're present day people and we have a sense of humour about our show that makes it more approachable and accessible than other Sci-fi shows". Tapping said.
Her credits include the X-files, Due South, Millenium and The Outer Limits.
Despite many sci-fi roles, Tapping was never all that interested in the genre as a child.
"My brothers were science fiction fans. I was more of a Little House on the Prairie kid. I started to get into it with Star Trek: The Next Generation , but my brothers watched Battlestar Gallactica."
Tapping used to think sci-fi was the preserve of males, but has since changed her mind.
"Our demographic is pretty much split down the middle. Science fiction is just another way of telling stories. It used to be westerns and you'd have cowboys sitting around a campfire."
"Then we went through the medical drama phase and the cop show phase. As a genre this is our generation's way of telling stories."
"Also, science fiction is quickly becoming science fact".
Tapping said the popularity of Carter's character has helped broaden the appeal to women.
"We also have good looking boys on the show, so I'm sure that helps as well, but the letters I get articulate that young women are enjoying the character and think she is a good role model."
Tapping studied the science that Carter, an astro-physics genius, uses in the show. But her knowledge is far from expert.
"It's certainly not enough to save the world from a black hole. I got asked (at a convention) what a naked singularity was, and I panicked. I said it was Sam Carter on a Saturday night because she has a terrible time with men."
Tapping hoped that would change in the final , seventh series.
"Even just to prove that not every guy she's with has to die. The black widow syndrome is getting to be a bit much, but it's an interesting dynamic. I like that she's the single woman who doesn't feel the need to complete herself with a man. "