The Runes Of The Earth

Allanon said:
when is next runes book due???
My understanding is that Fatal Revanant is close to completion of its first draft. It's quoted as coming soon, so I'd suspect a 2007 release date. Can't be more definitive but some of our members like Jay who are closer to the publishing world may have more information.

As soon as I hear something more definite I'll try and post it here.

Panamon Creel said:
Incidently, are there any other books by Martin worth reading and who is R. Scott Bakker?
Absolutely, I won a competition here and am eagerly awaiting a copy of his Masterwork classic come vampire tale Fevre Dream. I've heard good things about it and will be able to post more once I've read it. He's written other stuff that's received solid acclaim. I know he also wrote some Conan tales in the 70s which were probably the best of the Howard-inspired tales of that time. My advice is to wander over to the Martin subforum here, there's probably a bio there on his other work.

R. Scott Bakker is a Canadian author and creator of the recently completed fantasy EPIC trilogy Prince Of Nothing. Easily one of the best fantasy EPIC series I've read and to my mind and some other members here the best example of modern EPIC fantasy going around at the minute along with Martin and Erikson. Highly recommended.

I have just finished Runes of the Earth and enjoyed it almost as much as the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant which for me is easily the best fantasy related series I have ever read.

Marvellous, marvellous stuff and if all of the remaining books are that good, I honestly don't mind how long Donaldson takes to write them.

This one had everything (mild spoiler warning here!!) , exciting beginning, cliffhanger ending, time travel, battle scenes, exciting chases, vows, oaths, betrayals, mistrust, strange alliances, explanations of what has gone before, great new characters, use of magic and delicious descriptions of the wonderful Land as well as TC himself lurking in the background.

Ingenious writing about the Land in Donaldson's fitting operatic style.

Hi folks,i've just purchased,'Runes Of The Earth',and look forward to reading it,unfortunately,i have a Wilbur Smith to finish,three Terry Pratchett's,and 'DaVinci Code',to get through yet,so i'm looking at a few weeks yet.I may crack,and slip Donaldson in there somewhere,'Watch This Space!'.

Actually the previous books are on a similar par so do check out the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (2 trilogies). Knowing what you know from Runes shouldn't spioil things too much as there's still plenty of story in the earlier series.

By the time you've got through them and all the other books I recommended to you you'll be ready for the next Malazan book afte Bonehunters...:D

Recently just finished the first three in this series, The Unbeliever, The Illearth War, and The Power that Preserves, and I must say this series is really an inspiration to anyone who might be feeing down or depressed. I never realized, until I actually thought about it, how easy it is to despise and despair, and how much that effects the way you feel.

It really is good stuff indeed! :D

Rahl

That long? :eek: I'm really looking forward to it :)

I really enjoyed Runes of The Earth, apart from forgetting a few of the characters who have been in his previous books :eek:

Interesting that most here rate TROTE alongside the two earlier trilogies. I have to say I found the plot very tired - sort of like he has trying extract the last juice from an orange that has already been twice squeezed! Waiting for TC to appear really lacked tension for me: nothing like the Sunbane, and I really didnt feel the same gut wrenching emotional turmoil of the earlier book: here it felt all a bit constructed. OK - I will read vol 2 of this last series now its available, but out of loyalty and hope that it is better than TROTE rather than excitment.

Ah well: sorry to be a bit of a dampner