need help on the matrix

Martouf

Aussies RULE the world
gday all,

i have an assignment on Neo's character change throughout thefirst matrix, and the techniques used by the directors to highlight this change. Any help would be appreciated with specific examples.

i've tried looking some of this stuff up on the net but there's thousands of websites that dont really answer anything specifically.

thanks

What kind of changes? Like when did he start "believing" or when he turned from "Doubting Thomas" into "The One"?

When we first meet Neo, he's trying to find someone on the internet... his computer is doing an automated search. Then a visitor comes to him and takes him outside his little box of an apartment where he meets Trinity and gets his first taste of that something more that he's been longing for.

At work, Neo is in a box under glass... literally. He's boxed into his cubicle and the building has huge glass windows that we now know look out onto a world that isn't even there. But Neo stays boxed in until Morpheus's voice guides him out. Neo's been in these boxes so long, that he'll only follow that advice so far, finally refusing to climb to the rooftop. Doubting Thomas is still king.

Aboard the Nebuchadnezzar, Doubting Thomas still reigns because Neo can't accept the "truth" that Morpheus showed him inside the construct. He has a breakdown and passes out.

Later, when he comes around and Morpheus quietly explains a bit more, Neo begins to accept it all. And I think he begins to deal with it all by the time Tank talks to him about Zion and those born outside the Matrix. Neo's willing to get plugged in again. He's willing to train. He even begins to like it.

By the time Neo is taken to the Oracle, he believes that the Matrix exists, and that there is a "real world" outside it. He still doubts that he is Morpheus' "one" but he's in a kind of inbetween stage, where he's sure of some of what Morpheus says, but not all. He even tells the Oracle, "He almost had me convinced [that I'm the one]."

After Morpheus sacrifices himself to make sure that the crew gets Neo back out of the Matrix, Neo believes that he really does have power in there and wants to take it upon himself to rescue Morpheus. Of course, Trinity insists on going, but it's obvious that Neo has a lot of faith in his own abilities inside the Matrix at this point. Tank still thinks it's a "loco" idea and that even Neo will need a miracle to succeed, but he helps as much as he can. Doubting Thomas is disappearing, but the One still has not emerged.

When Neo does things that no one else inside the Matrix has done, he does them automatically. Taking on a military building with only the guns he could carry and one bomb and one aide; jumping out of the helicopter to grab Morpheus; hanging on to the line attached to said helicopter, hoping to save Trinity; these are things that only someone special could do, even inside the Matrix. But he's still not quite convinced.

When they get Morpheus out, and Trinity follows, Neo doesn't run from Agent Smith. Why? Nothing else has happened since the roof rescues, so why would Neo suddenly decide that Morpheus might be right and he might be the One? My guess is that in the dash to the exit (the subway) Neo actually thought about what he'd done and what Morpheus said about it. In spite of what the Oracle said, maybe he really was the One. Maybe when she said that he was waiting for something, it was just time, and now he was the One. In any case, he fought Smith... and won... even if temporarily... and did believe that he might be "The One" after all.

Why else would he still be hanging on when Trinity told him to live and to get up again. He was shot. His heart stopped. How else could he "live"? He had to believe that he was the One, by now. There was no other way to continue living and return to Trinity.

Man! Why do you ask questions like this? Jeez, I'm long winded! Good thing we weren't actually talking about this, or we'd still be going. You'd be throwing in your two cents, finding new examples, and we'd never shut up. :D

Come on, do it again!

:wave:

also, during that subway fight scene, neo is constanly called "mr. anderson" by agent smith.

when neo defeats him (albeit semipermanently) neo says "my name is Neo"

at this point he believes himself to be the one.

aside: morpheus tells neo on the rooftop, that "there is a difference betweekn knowing the path, and walking it." the subway scene is where neo recognizes that.

"she told you what you wanted to hear. nothing more." - morph.

dat enough for you martouf?

martouf, what are you doing in the matrix section? get back over here to the stargate section! lol(just kidding) The matrix completely confuses me and i don't try to understand it.

thanks guys, you've thrown some good ideas at me. And ill be sure to use 'em.

i really like the matrix its full of double hidden meanings. For example when he is gettin the lecture by his boss for being late and he glances at the window gettin cleaned. This show's Anderson's distractive personality. It also strengthens the meaning that his life is dirty/clean at the same time. (it also lets us know about the window scaffold)

i still havent really worked out why trinity is called 'trinity'. Ive been trying to think that maybe she has a kid in teh third movie or something. Thus trinity, three people. Neo, kid trinity.... i dunno :p

my actual essay question is "identify teh changes of Neo's character and personality seen throughout the film. Refer to specific film techniques used by the directorto highlight these changes in character. To what extent does the film challenge or confirm your own beliefs about reality?"

i can say stuff about the camera is much more direct when he starts to believe he is the one. The music is much more louder or something.

any more help would be greatly appreaciated, especially the bit about challenging my own beliefs (i dont have any :))

The part about challenging beliefs applied to me in that it reawakened the philosophical debate about which is true: The mind = me; or The body = me. Am I the sum total of my physical person, or am I me because of what my mind perceives?

I really enjoyed reading the essays I found on the official website. :D

And Trinity's name means several different things. Mostly it's meant to remind us of threes. The core group of "heroes" = Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus (without the other two, Neo never would have become the One); the three aspects of Christian divinity = The father, the son and the holy spirit; the three aspects of the film's message that we have to keep in mind = Reality, fantasy, and the truth. There are other things, too, but it's like 4:20am here, and I gotta get ready for work, so I'll leave others to give you more.

Thanks for letting us in to play with your paper. ;)