Air Force general talks 'The Lost City'

thor4713

Stargate rules forever
With the war in Iraq concluded (in a manner of speaking), Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. Jumper will finally make his guest appearance on Stargate SG-1 (story). The general will appear in at least the second half of the 2-part season finale, "The Lost City," according to a report in today's Vancouver Sun.

"They made it easy on me. I get to play myself," Jumper told the paper in an interview on the show's Vancouver, B.C. set. " I just have a few lines in three scenes." He plays himself in a crucial Oval Office meeting with the President, which also includes General Hammond (Don S. Davis).

The report also confirms that actor William Devane will play the fictional President Henry Hayes. A photo from the set at the Air Force's Web site shows Devane (center) and Jumper (right).

Jumper follows his predecessor, chief of staff General Michael E. Ryan, who appeared as himself in a cameo role in Season Four's "Prodigy." Ryan retired in 2001. General Jumper was originally scheduled to appear in an episode filming in April, but the start of conflict in Iraq made him postpone his appearance.

The general also said that Stargate, with its heroic protrayal of U.S. Air Force officers, has inspired some to join the real Air Force. "We have feedback surveys [from recruits] that show people get familiar with the Air Force from the show," he said.

Read the complete article, in which Jumper also praises the show's set designers, at Canada.com. "The Lost City" is expected to air in March on The Sci-Fi Channel.

thought this might interest someone
thor4713

Yeah, I think it's pretty cool how they do that every now and then. Though....General Ryan's "acting" in Prodigy wasn't all too great.

Gen Ryan...

He acted just like a 4 star General Chief of Staff. I consider that was really 'getting into a role'. ;)

Seriously, he was fairly comfortable in front of the camera and much more articulate than many of the 1-3 star's I've met over my career.

When my unit deployed to the Gulf, there was a 'going away' ceremony attended by 7 Generals ranging from 1 to 3 stars. We were the largest medical unit 5to deploy and my guess was everyone wanted their hand and 'seal of approval' on the whole thing. It's not every day you ship a 1000 bed hospital [750+ staff] into a combat zone.

Rowan