Jack O'Neill in Season 8 (spoilers)

Drew. M

call me **Drew or Andy**
Colonel O'Neill in Season 8?

Gateworld tells us that colonel jack o'neill will be in Season 8 and also be promoted.

A promotion to brigadier general could indicate that O'Neill may be taking over command of the S.G.C., although actor Don S. Davis ("Major General George Hammond") has also indicated a desire to stay with the show. O'Neill has also expressed a desire in past episodes to command an off-world base for Earth ("Shades of Grey"). Just what the character's promotion will mean for the SG-1 team remains to be seen. But it may allow the show's writers more flexibility in writing stories that are not awkward in their lack of the team's commanding officer. 'Quoted from Gateworld.net'

I for one would love to see how this plays out...Im so glad that we are going to get another season! :cool:

I dunno if this is going of topic, but I don't think so... If Jack is premoted too General..... wait, I just have to write this.

General Jack O'Neill :rolly2:

Sorry, hadda get that outta my system. :D Okay, so Jack is being premoted to General. Now, as far as I'm aware, they don't let General's into combat if they can help it. So it stands to reason that Jack will be taken off Sg-1. Right? Possibly to command the SGC.. which means that Hammond could be standing down.. which in itself if depressing.
Anyways, so Jack is no longer Sg-1's commander. Who are they going to replace him? Sam? That is the most likely asumption, BUT, in Shades of Grey, when Jack left and they needed a new commander, and Danny suggested Sam, she responds with, "I think they'd go with someone higher then Major."

... Is five years too soon for Sam to get another premotion too? *g* ;)

Also, if Jack leaves SG-1, they are going to need a new member. Another possiblity for Jonas? I doubt it... Jonas is bascially Danny's character, and the two of them running around to gether is going to give us all a headache.. Janet? If she's still around.... they may like to bring a field doctor with them.. with Sg-1's track record you'd think they'd thought of it sooner.....

Anyways, my real gripe about Jack's premotion is that I find Jack is too implusive, too driven by emotion to lead a base like that properly. He makes judgements based on his 'biased' opinion - and is far too eger to blow things up.

This, while fine when in the field, is not the sort of person you want in command of a base facility..

And as for his diplomacy skills...... *isn't going to comment*

...or maybe I'm just reading into this too much?

Pixie, that is exactly what I think.

In a way it's great to see Jack progress, get something for all he's done... But I don't think a promotion is what is best...
PLus I want to see Jack in action in season 8...

Jack just isn't the type to sit behind a desk and stay away from combat ( trouble?)...

I can't wait to see what they are gonna do...

Maybe he will be the first to go on missions. :lol:

Krystal :D

Well, with RDA's reduced schedule his charecter is a bit differant, not as active. Maybe something in the plot could effect change and have him forced to stay on base most of the time. If he is getting promoted to General, it's HIGHLY doubtful he's going to be on missions. Unless the show ditches the Air Force Technical advisor, but let's remember that The Lost City might effect a lot of change. The public might learn the truth about the SGC and the threat to Earth (I think it's time that they do, since I just cannot buy the fact that they are making F-302s and BC-303s in lartge numbers, it takes too many people. Over the years too many people have learned the existance of the SGC and now with THIS, there's no way to hide it). That's sort of off-topic. I don't see Sam being in chrage of SG-1 though. She doesn't have a military enough mind to cut it. She's a scientist, her expertise is irreplacable, but she doesn't have the charecter needed to lead. Teal'C is really the only one who does, but that's not going to happen. If they could write a new military-type commander for SG-1 that would be good, but how do you have him/her be both interesting and likeable without making him/her a Jack clone? Problematic.

Anyway...

SPOILERS for Lost City I and II:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Hammond is getting offered a command that may be more important than the SGC. Now, this MIGHT be commanding the Prometheus but it also might mean that Hammond will be in Atlantis, if so Jack could take command of the SGC.

Jack could be commanding an offworld base. With all this Jaffa rebellian and the Tok'ra and Earth working together to elliminate the Goa'uld there needs to be an overall leader. Jack could be only seen at the offworld base and not on missions...maybe.

Generals dont actually go out and do the fighting... so all Jack would do is stay behind the scenes commanding and figuring out solutions. I just can't imagine his character standing for that. He's got that 'hands on' kinda thing going on... plus who would they get to replace him, like beckmen said. they would basically have to create a completely new character... and its not likely that Jack would trust his old team with some unproven character. another option would be to assign the rest of sg-1 to some other team. i dont know how that would work though... since sg-1 is the focus for the series.

i dont think a promotion is the best way to reward Jack for all his work... though a promotion for sam might be wise... though i do like the ring of major carter. yea so anyways the air force might want to find another way to reward jack for all his work if they dont want to loose his experience in the field. it wouldnt be the same anyways.

Pixie- Anyways, my real gripe about Jack's premotion is that I find Jack is too implusive, too driven by emotion to lead a base like that properly. He makes judgements based on his 'biased' opinion - and is far too eager to blow things up.

This, while fine when in the field, is not the sort of person you want in command of a base facility..
yea we see that in some of the alternate universe episodes where Jack sends a bomb through to chulak... or something like that (its been a long time since i've seen it). but yea, he's pretty insubordinate and though he is deserving of the rank... its not a wise command desicion at least in my eyes.

spoilers for season 8 (obviously)

Jack gets promoted, as does Carter, and we do see more of Jack, but the question was already asked "is he really made of 'General' material"?

In Season 8, Jack has become just a comic foil. While some of the jokes are funny, some are even 'classic Jack' (the table tennis with Teal'c in 'Sacrifices' was very good) but I want Jack to be more than just a comic foil.

That's all he has become this season; that and agonising over decisions that every General would have to make. I'm not sure the point of showing us him agonising whether to destroy the ship carrying SG-1 or to allow millions to die instead ('Endgame'). The decision is easy, he's a General now, he can't show his indecision to his officers. Show his emotions when he gets back home and SG-1 are all dead (only kidding!)

part of the thing with his indecision is his feelings for SG-1 especialy carter remember in S4 when he admitted his feelings for her. that would make anyone reluctant to destroy the ship with her on

Back