7.18: Heroes - Part Two

janet's death illustrates that not only can anyone die at any time...but also that heroes arent' always the obvious ones we think of...the guys on the front line or in obvoious danger...they can also be the operator at the other end of the 911 phone call that talks someone through cpr, or the person that gives blood every 8 weeks, or the crossing guard that makes sure the kids get across the street safely.

every single day there are thousands of folks that quietly save lives and they don't ever get to the front page of the paper or get to be on the news every night...they're just doing their jobs.

like sam said 'we're just doing our jobs'...and that's what janet was doing, her job

Quote from Dave:

"Somehow though, I think its very unlikely we'll see General Hammond face a courts martial. :D "

I'd be happy to settle for the writers being stood up against a wall and shot. :D

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

Originally posted by skydiver
like sam said 'we're just doing our jobs'...and that's what janet was doing, her job

The point is that Janet wasn't doing her job, she was doing a combat medic's job. Her job is - sorry, was - Chief Medical Officer, which should have kept her on the base.

Remember M*A*S*H? They didn't go out into a combat zone; they waited for the choppers to ferry in the wounded.

S.O.P. is for combat medics to administer first aid, stabilize the more badly injured, insert drips, administer pain killers, etc., then stretcher them out.

That way, when you get them back to base, you have your Chief Medical Officer there to give them the expert treatment they require.

As it was, they could have had half a dozen or more critically injured personnel and only Dr. Warner - who might have had to be brought back from holiday - to treat them all.

The episode was badly researched and unbelievably crass. R.C.C. should stick to writing mystical episodes.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

I didn't reallylike this episode (or Part I) either. First of all, that reporter was unbelievably annoying. And so much air time was wasted on him. I knew Jack wasn't going to die, because I've seen that old trick too many times where they make you think this one will die and then its really someone else. I kept thinking it was going to be Hammond. I have purposely stayed away from reading anything about future eps. So, if it wasn't Jack that was dead then the only clue I had was when someone said onscreen that it was "someone close to you". Then I knew it was going to be Janet because there was no one else it could be. I liked that the show was emotional, I even shed a tear or two. I'm going to miss her character. But I am happy that this 2-part bore-fest is over.

INFIDEL!
The episode was great. Your opinion is obviously invalid, and more importantly, WRONG! :)
I would have prefered Sams SUV driving fruitcake/stalker/homosexual but frightened to tell his family, boyfriend to have died.

I know....I know. It's not like me to not like an episode. But this one was just too much of the non-core Stargate players for me.

I agree with you about the Sam's boyfriend dying part. Have we seen the last of him because he just sort of disappeared and no mention has been made of him since that ep? Interesting.

I'm with Hatshepsut. I kept thinking "why are SG-13 hanging around, the goa'uld know they are there" in Part I, and I think Hammond sending Janet to a combat zone backed up by an archaeologist, was criminally stupid.

Ehhh...I can't agree. They are always doing stuff like this. It's a fiction show, so they take liberties. The events in this episode (Janet going into combat, SG-13 not bugging out at first sign of hostiles) don't seem atypical for this show.

PS: Just wait for Atlantis. I don't think they are even trying for a Air Force advisor, so it's probably going to be WAAAY out there.

I'd certainly agree that cr@p plots and lack of research are not atypical for the current writing team. :rolleyes:

As for 'Atlantis' - <shudder>

I really do find far better ideas and fewer clangers in fan fic. these days.

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut, the Unimpressed* :wave:

*Well, not favourably anyway... :dead:
--

I am actually quite surprised that the SGC hasn't assigned combat medics to each team yet; the military has them, so where are they for the SGC? I mean, it appears that the teams don't even really have members trained in basic medicine. I don't even see any of the off-world teams carrying first aid kits.

Rather, they either haul the person back through the gate (often unneccesary) or bring Janet through. Like Hatshepsut said, Janet was CMO; not a combat medic. It makes me wonder if she had even been carrying a gun or weapons, or exactly how close the other soldiers were standing and firing from. You'd think they'd put up a barrier around the wounded guy to protect him; I was really surprised when he was just lying around in the open with no one around and not even a hastily erected barrier. He should have been dead many times over if there were as many Jaffa around as were implied, just lying out in the open like that.

On it's own Part 1 really stunk.

Part 2 is the anchor that makes Part 1 worth seeing once.
The story about the photographer and Hammond's confrontation
with the investigator really brought the part to together.

Yes the story appears rather contrived, but the core of the
story was meaningful (i.e. Janet’s heroism and self-sacrifice).

But if they bring Janet back in any form this episode will become
sewer water because it would become meaningless.

- - -
I've never seen any of the Stargate team lug around a portabal
barrier that could block staff blasts. Janet had to sabalized her
patient. There didn't seem to be many Jaffa or SG members
near the scene. I think most of the combat shifted to focused
on the Gate. Maybe a blinded Jaffa sniper got her. ;)