Dick, Philip K: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
"He offered to sell them the secret of eternal life. All he asked in return was their souls"

I don't know if it's worth me doing a review of this, as there are so many already on the web. This is a reasonable one:
http://www.philipkdick.com/ttsopa.htm

"Earth is ceasing to become our natural world, and certainly this will never be."

Earth is searing under the heat of the Sun. Colonists on the other planets live a meagre existence in hovels. They escape using the drug Can-D and become the teenager Perky Pat and her boyfriend Walt.

I read it because I wanted to read more about the idea of mass hallucinations. Firstly, I'm currently in a Star Trek role-playing game simulation where the whole ship has had one, and secondly, I wanted to see how it compared with the ideas in 'The Matrix', which everyone believes, is groundbreaking, but in fact, it just took interesting ideas and reused them.

I can see why it was thought to be blasphemous. It is. They find God by taking a drug called Chew-Z.

I realised after a chapter or two into this story that I had read it before, but I couldn't remember the ending. Maybe I only read the short story before, 'The Days of Perky Pat', from which the 'The Three Stigmata of Eldritch Palmer' was expanded.

There is a good essay by PKD about how he came to write them here:
http://www.philipkdick.com/pkdweb/The Days Of Perky Pat.htm

I was interested in the Precogs, because they could see a murder committed in the future, an idea he used in 'The Minority Report', although here they see different alternative futures, each with it's own probability of occurring. The picture he paints of Earth is very like that of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'.

I found the idea of forced evolution bad science, but if they called it something else then the genetic engineering that could make it work would probably be possible in the near future.

Weird.

Last edited:
re: Dick, Philip K: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

I realize that most PKD fans don't like this book as much as his other works, but it is my favorite. It was ahead of it's time, which can be said for most PKD books, but it held my attention from beginning to end. I recently saw the movie "Surrogates" and it reminded me of "The Three Stigmata of Eldritch Palmer" because they were living their lives through an artificial means in both cases. I have to say if I could do so I would probably give that a try myself.

I liked this book. The concept of using drugs as a means to escape your droll life was not really mentioned in those days. Though is a very common factor in real life drug counter-culture.

I also found the forced evolution to be interesting. With the people that could afford it becoming something akin to Lobsters due to the increased earth temperature. While it also touched upon the possibility that there was a different change in Human Evolution through the Chew-Z visions of the main Protagonist.

I liked this book. The concept of using drugs as a means to escape your droll life was not really mentioned in those days. Though is a very common factor in real life drug counter-culture.

I also found the forced evolution to be interesting. With the people that could afford it becoming something akin to Lobsters due to the increased earth temperature. While it also touched upon the possibility that there was a different change in Human Evolution through the Chew-Z visions of the main Protagonist.

It was a very interesting book.

It would have been a perfect PKD if it had Jason Taverner level characters, the god like being angle wasnt so fuzzy.

I just picked this book up not to long ago.
It's a pretty good read so far, but not nearly as subliminal as I was led to believe.
I was told there were hints as to why PKD flipped out in an interview, but I can't see it, yet.
Maybe I'm just trying to find something that isn't there.

I think this is his best novel, as it perfectly encapsulates all of his major themes: the authenticity of the human experience, religion, and the effects of drug use on the human psyche.

I seem to remember liking this one. The title is quoted incorrectly in all the posts though! Its "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch". Sorry to be so anal...

This story is the best thing written by PKD. Overwhelmingly drug-induced and paranoid, there is no other novel out there that compares so well with such a far-reaching stretch of illusionary hijinks and so many things appearing out of nowhere. TSOPE has it all.

Last edited:
One of my two favorites of PKD. (The other is Ubik.)

It may also be the greatest title for any novel I've ever seen. Dick had a gift for amazing titles, along with all his other skills.

Galactic Pot-Healer

Clans of the Alphane Moon

Our Friends From Frolix 8

Counter-Clock World

Now Wait For Last Year

I could name many others.

I have to disagree with Victoria, whilst PKD was the greatest philosophical novellist who ever lived, he couldn't think of decent titles for toffee!!

they were living their lives through an artificial means in both cases. I have to say if I could do so I would probably give that a try myself.

World of Warcraft?