7.14 : Fallout

Rowan

7.?? : Fallout

Spoilers for this episode can be found at "Fallout"

My thanks to SG-1 Solutions for the link.

Rowan

SPOILERS
From Gateworld
The three countries on Jonas' homeworld have forged a tenative peace, formed a Joint Ruling Council and renamed the planet Langaria (apparently they all had different names for it before.) It isn't the easiest of alliances, though, and Daniel and General Hammond attempt to help them come to a consensus while Carter and Jonas work with Kianna to try to find a solution to the 'naquadria problem.'

"The details are sketchy as to what the problem is, but it sounds as if the instability of naquadria is related to or causing some sort of build-up -- or maybe it's fall-out from whatever they used to defeat Anubis ('Homecoming')? It's on the verge of producing an explosion big enough to turn a third of Kelowna (the nation, not the planet) into a crater. This in turn will throw enough dust and debris up into the atomosphere to throw the planet into a 'nuclear winter' and wipe out all life.

"Hammond and Daniel are trying to convince the councilors to relocate as many people as possible to a friendly planet before this happens. The councilors are still too rooted in their countries' long-held animosity to agree on much of anything, even if it will save lives.

"Meanwhile Jonas, who has fallen for Kianna since he's been home, is proving just how much he has in common with Daniel. Seems he's joined the 'my girlfriend has been taken over by a Goa'uld' club. And the Goa'uld who has taken over Kianna claims to know how to save the planet, if they'll only let her. What the three have been working on is a Jules Verne-type machine that tunnels towards the center of the planet. It seems that they want to tunnel their way to a large deposit of naquadria.

"There are several references to the 'naquadria problem,' and Daniel gets graphic on the expected explosion for the benefit of the councilors to try to stop them from bickering."

From SG1_Spoilme
The Kelowna folk have not blown themselves to bits, and Jonas is back on his
homeworld working on a Naquadria project. A bunch of diplomatic types come to Earth to ask for our help in moving the project along (probably something that
started in "Homecoming" and/or "Fallen"). Besides the individual nations now getting along, they've renamed their planet, to possibly Langara. But not all is well on the planet as they're facing some kind of devastation which could
induce a nuclear winter on their planet (it appears to have something to do with the naquadria). Daniel appears to stay earthside (not enough info present) to get stuck in meetings with the political guys and Hammond.

The Kelowna folk would like Earth to help them relocate their planet's population, if possible, but are picky about where to relocate to.

Jonas is working on this solving this Naquadria mess along with Kianna, who appears to be his girlfriend as well. Instead of using a digger machine to create tunnels, he'd like to use the Tok'ra method of creating tunnels. Alas, this plan hits a snag when it turns out Jonas has about as good luck in girlfriends as Daniel does: she turns out to be a Gou'ald, who has escaped detection
via some new drug. Sam is working with Jonas in this process

Kianna's Gou'ald personality doesn't want the planet destroyed either; apparently Baal has some nefarious plans for it.

Er, no word on whether Jack is in this episode or not. No tidbits, but that doesn't mean anything.

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info

For more info look to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme

I'll just be happy to see Jonas again. I hope he can play some role in the finale and/or the movie, like sacrifcing his life for the entire team or something. It's always good to have someone die doing something heroic for dramatic impact, and he's the best candidate IMO.

Sky One just showed this epiosde tonight. It's not the in the correct order that the Mods here have given.

Jack IS in it briefly. Neither Jack, Daniel, or Teal'c are in it very much. Daniel mostly deals with the argumentative Langaria delegation, while Sam and Jonas work on a solution, and then Sam, Teal'c and Jonas do the action stuff in a 'journey to the centre of Kelowna'-style giant drilling machine.

But Jack gets the delegates to stop bickering as only Jack can.

The drill stops short of the target to plant the clichéd giant bomb and the Kianna/Goa'uld must use Jonas' Tok'ra crystals to make the final 10 kilometres through fatal temperatures and noxious gases.

Kianna's Gou'ald shows herself not only to be independent of Baal, but in the end sacrifices herself not only to save Jonas, Teal'c and Sam, but also to save Kianna herself. I didn't think that was possible, but I'll leave the more knowledgable here to explain that to me. It certainly changed my opinion of the 'snakes'!

I agree with Dave, it wasn't your standard Goa'uld behaviour, i mean you had the glowing eyes and that but there was the self sacrafice for the host, more like a Tok'ra.

That said she did get the odd Sholva in here and there.

It might've just been me but when the three representatives explained [at the SGC] how they came to a decision the guy whor represented the nation beginning with T [which i can't remember off the top of my head] said "we did it by commitee". Well i just found that funny for some reason not to mention Jack's diplomatic skills :laugh:

Good ep

Nick,

SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Reading this, I guess I am going to be dissapointed with this episode. I would really like to see a reunion with Jonas and SG-1, and more Jonas/Daniel dynamic. I guess this is just another "Sucky Season 7" episode where one charecter gets a lot of screen time and the other members of the team are not around. Evolution 2 had screen time for pretty much everyone, and although they were not "together", it felt like classic SG-1. Sad, really sad. I'll still be happy to see Jonas again.

all in all, i enjoyed it.

it was great fun and finally an episode that showed some continuity.

the ambassadors behaved exactly like i'd expect them to behave, especially after decades of strife and bickering and i loved how jack settled it. (which was really the only way, work together or die, we don't care

Kiana's behavior was a wee bit odd, but i'm wondering if it's another side of the goauld? what if there are more queens out there like egeria that aren't programming thier children for galactic badness and, well more human.

could this also be why there's been a decline in goauld? not ony because of goauld sushi but also because less of them are fighting and conquering

I've been thinking more on Kiana's Goa'uld's behaviour and it still has me puzzled.

The Goa'uld are parasites and humans are hosts. This is established, the terminology has been used before by the SGC.

Now generally, even parasitic behaviour is never totally bad for the host. It is usually partly symbiotic. In other words, both the host and parasite will benefit from the relationship. Sometimes the benefit for the host is hard to see, it may be a benefit to the host population as a whole, not the individual organism. There are many obvious benefits from have a Goa'uld.

The benefits that a parasite gets from a host are usually clear. But while it is not in the parasites interest to damage the host or to kill it, unless it comes at some life-cycle change, it seems to me that in an intelligent parasite self preservation would take over.

The Kiana Goa'uld could have skipped hosts and joined with Jonas once back in the drilling rig. (Am I right in thinking that Sam and Teal'c are now immune from Goa'ulds?)

I don't understand why it would just give up and die.

It would explain the decline in the Goa'uld population though if there were more of these Egeria-like offspring around as Skydiver suggested.

Shouldn't the Tok'ra be recruiting these Goa'ulds? I thought that the Tok'ra were in decline too.

the tokra are in decline because they don't have a queen and don't make babies and since they take hosts voluntarily only (usually) then if they can't find a host, they die. lilke sam said in tok'ra, zero or negative population growth

as to the 'kinder gentler goauld'...well was kiana really a goauld? could she have been a tok'ra that got tired of fighting a seemingly endless war and decided to toss her fates in with baal to go for the comfy ride?

we never found out, never even found out her name. and had she been injecting herself with the masking agent all along or only because of sam's presence? sensing goauld isnt exactly a common ability, at least not on kelowna/langeria.

and if she injected herself to defend from sam, well then she had to know of sam and her abilities. most humans can't sense goauld and there aren't a lot of ex-human hosts around, it's always been presented that jolinar dying and sam surviving was very much the exception instead of the rule

or maybe she was a descent of Yu's...he's a goauld that doesn't lust for power, but rather makes his kingdom and is satisified to simply maintain it

there is also the fact that pretty much the whole universe has it in for the goauld since they're such nasty beggers, well what if they finally decided that the way to survival isnt' to conquer, but to make thier kingdoms and then settle and be content

I will be glad to see Jonas back. Dr. Jackson has gotten a little dull. Plus, I miss the "jonas point of view". Danny would not think that the weather channel was "magic" or dip an onionring into his shake, and Teal'c\Jonas in a smalltown bar was just priceless. I read somewhere that in season 8 SG-1 will get a 5th team member, why not make it Jonas? Darn, Im ranting again. Im just glad to see Jonas is coming back.

Yeah. Jackson was good, but bringing him back was forced, and IMO Jonas was really coming into his own as a charecter. Now that Jackson is back it just seems like the same old deal, whereas with Jonas there was a good differance going. After 5 seasons of the SAME EXACT cast, shows tend to get a little stale. Stargate wasn't getting stale, but it was close. Bringing on Jonas prevented that, but then getting rid of him after only 24 episodes (Including Fallen/Homecoming) threw everything out of whack. They should have kept with the "Daniel in 3 or 4 episodes" thing they were doing in season 6, and continued to build Jonas' charecter. I'd really love it if they brought him back for Season 8, now that
Jack is going to be General (which BTW makes no sense, Jack isn't the kind of guy who runs things from the sidelines, he's a man of action), and have Sam lead the team with Daniel, Teal'c and Jonas on SG-1. Also, RDA better get a "and" credit if he's going to be sidelined as such, and Amanda Tapping get first billing.
. But I doubt it.

Also, I think they need to find a way to finally explain Jonas' DNA. I am telling you: He's the missing link the Asgard have been looking for. His advanced DNA has been referanced more than once, including in Homecoming ("His physiology merits further examination")...He is the key to saving the Asgard and I think that's a pretty cool little plot that they need to explore.

I thought this episode was kind of bland. It reinforced my high opinion of Jonas - and it was certainly nice to see him actually in a position of responsibilty - when he was a main cast member I always felt he was treated as a second-stringer.

I actually thought this episode was reminiscent of so many others, but the focus on Carter brought the race episode to mind, and the whole 'we-gotta-do-this-one-dangerous-mission-or-else-this-whole-planet-will-die-and-only-SG1-can-pull-it-off' has been done so many times it was hard to get excited about it here. I was almost hoping for something bad to happen to get away from the formula.

I did find the goa'uld's characterisation pretty interesting, although I can't decide whether it was an inconsistent choice to show a goa'uld so different from the ones we have already met.

Pity we won't see her again, I would liked to know more about her selfish plot within Baal's plots.

Episode aired in the US tonight. Good episode IMO, better than Grace IMO. I liked the return of Jonas, and was surprised at the amount of Daniel/Jack we actually got in the episode. Didn't seem like they were sidelines really. Granted, they could have had more screen time, but for Season 7's standard all of SG-1 got a decent amount of screen time.

I think Kianna somehow imprinted her Goa'uld, hence the uncharecteristic behaviour. It might be a combination of the Langaran's advanced DNA and the fact that Kianna was a good person that allowed this to happen. We know that it's possible for the host to affect the symbiote to a certain degree, maybe becuase of the advanced state of the Langarans (evidenced in Jonas' DNA) somehow intensifies the host's affect on thw symbiote, and given a few more thousand years evolution symbiotes will have no control over hosts. That's just my theory.

Next week's ep looks cool, too.