7.09: Avenger 2.0

BIG SPOILERS
From Gateworld
"Felger is trying to impress Carter, who he had a big crush on. He comes up with a computer virus that is meant to attack the DHD on whatever world it is transmitted to, via the Stargate. 'Avenger,' as Felger has named the computer virus, is still more of a concept than a working program when a nervous Felger tells Hammond he can have Avenger ready to go in 24 hours. (The other invention he has been working on has failed to deliver.)

"Carter works on the virus with Felger and Chloe, his lab assistant. Felger is too busy having a crush on Carter to notice that Chloe has a crush on him. He's also rushing to write the virus, and distracted by Carter's presence. In short, it's the perfect recipe for disaster!"

and from SG1_Spoilme
Jay Felger, last seen in the season six episode "The Other Guys," is back to
wreak havoc on the SGC. He still hero-worships SG-1, and believe he has an
unspoken bond with his fellow warrior, Jack O'Neill.

Felger and his assistant, the cute Chloe, are working on a high-tech beam
weapon that could be used as a weapon against the Gou'ald. Unfortunately,
he's not making the headway he envisioned. Hammond has a timeframe he wants
met, so to save his skin (and his job) Felger tells them he has a weapon - a
computer virus.

His assistant is mortified. The 'Avenger' virus is nowhere near ready. He
says this virus will render a target gate useless, which sounds good on
paper, but as earlier spoilers have indicted, turns into a disaster when it
shuts down the SGC's gate, and also leaves the base vulnerable to attack.

Meanwhile, O'Neill and Teal'c are busy negotiating with rebel Jaffa leaders,
and Daniel is on a planet with another team(?), but the planet is experience
seismic disturbances.

From the sounds of it, Felger's computer virus maroons most of the SG-1
off-world while Carter must work with Felger to put things right.
Thanx to gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info, for more info look to:
www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme

SPOILERS
From Gateworld
"What happens is, [Felger] tests the virus, and it appears that the virus is self replicating, because in a matter of hours, the entire gate system is shut down. And you've got teams stranded off-world. You've got Daniel stranded on a planet where he was helping to relocate a civilization, and basically their planet was wracked with these seismic disturbances, heavy rains and flooding, so he's trapped off-world. O'Neill and Teal'c were trying to broker a truce between some rival Jaffa, and basically everything went to hell in a handbasket, and he's trapped off-world.
"So Carter has to help Felger, who's suffering his own crisis of conscience, to come up with a patch, or a solution, to fix the virus before the off-world teams are wiped out and the top Goa'uld of the moment presses his advantage and makes effective use of the gate shutdown to consolidate his hold over the System Lords."

Thanx to Gateworld for the info for more info look to www.gateworld.net

ALSO THERE ARE NEW PICS UP AT THIS SITE FOR THIS EPISODE!!

:D

the pics are great. it looks like they have a nice smooth mission <Snerk>

this one actualy looks like fun

SPOILERS
"The sci-fi hit goes for laughs as techno-geek Jay Felger (Patrick McKenna) unleashes a computer virus that traps half the 'Gaters on other worlds.
"Last season, Felger's overzealousness nearly doomed O'Neill's mission to contact a Tok'ra ally. This time, General Hammond wants to can Felger after his latest gizmo causes a power outage. To keep his job, Felger teams with Major Carter to create a computer virus to disable enemy Stargates. Instead, it takes down the entire Stargate network. McKenna, best known as the nerdy nephew on the how-to series spoof The Red Green Show, plays Felger with a sweet earnestness that brings out the big sister in Amanda Tapping's Carter."

Thanx to Gateworld for the info for more info look to www.gateworld.net

:D

On the first viewing, I am impressed with Avenger 2.0. It was pretty funny, O'Neill had a few good scenes (could have had a lot more, but this episode didn't focus on SG-1, so the way the team was under-played didn't stick out like it has in past S7 eps) and the end was pretty cool. SGC got an Alkesh, that should be fun to reverse-engineer, maybe get some new big weapons for the BC-303 (Which for some reason is called the X-303 in this ep).

Pretty well-written, pretty well directed (another Matrin Wood cameo, BTW), and funny. I can't really think of anything wrong with it really. O'Neill was written off pretty good here, and also managed to have a few scenes (I wonder if they film those MALP scenes at his house (for his convienance) or something...because he has been doing A LOT of them recently), and even managed to accomplish a big thing, unlike just watching everyone else do stuff like he has been doing this season.

Don't know how it will hold up to repeat viewings, the humor aspect will get old after a few viewing prolly. It's in the good book for me so far though.

Spoilers for Avenger 2.0
... Pretty well-written...
I completely disagree; I found the writing in this episode to be lazy, clichéd and generally abysmal.
Felger commits an extremely serious security violation within earshot of Carter and no action is taken.
The whole virus concept is very old and well known; there would almost certainly be a built-in countermeasure for it. Even in s1 the idea is jokingly referred to for being unlikely to succeed.
At the end some of SG1 appear and the forces of the strongest System Lord cower before them. O'Neill and Teal'c are able to travel unmolested through the airspace of one of Baal's strongholds. IMHO having some guys in a big ship show up out of the blue and save the day is just the pinnacle of laziness.
Both Avenger 2.0 and The Other Guys are dire scenarios with potentially serious consequences, which seem more suited to angst and dread but instead everyone just has a laugh.

All in all, it was a pretty enjoyable eps. Felger is pathetically funny, the poor guy that just can't win.

what i really like is that the sgc messes up, they totally take out the gate network (with a little help from baal) and they manage to fix it on their own. No calling the asgard for help, they made the mess, they fixed it.

Jack's absences were less noticible partially because they were spread out, but also because there was a good reason. he and teal'c were off world. I'm thinking that they were also doing birthright and maybe evolution at the same time, this would explain the lack of teal'c and daniel, who both pretty much had a token appearance...just like sam's in enemy mine.

i think this splitting up of the team is something we're going to have to get used to. It's about the only way to tape 2-3 eps at once with only a cast of 4.

the fantasy at the end....hey, it's felger's fantasy. what do you think men fantasize about, especially the comic book geeks among us (no offense anyone, i used to read them too)

It was a very entertaining hour, some really funny lines, some fantastic bits by patrick mckenna (putting his pants on backwards, the diarama, the sam barbie for example)
chloe, while her voice would get on my nerves, is also exactly what felger needs, a grounding force.

once they were on the planet, i liked that it was sam who stayed in military mode and made felger fix his mess. she wasn't there to save the day, per se, she was there to be the military presence, watch his six and help him fix the gates (and since she backed him, it was partially her responsibility too)

I found it well rounded, fun to watch, downright hysterical in places, still short of the boys (but i think we're just gonna have to get used to it, i think this is how this season will be) and definitely an eps i'll sit down and watch again...even if it's just to hear the lines i was laughing too hard to hear earlier

It was a very entertaining episode, all the thing with Felger was really funny. Also enjoy Hammond reaction with Felger experiments. Specially again when the stargates can't function.

It was an interesting episode.

Krystal :p

This is an episode, judging from all the other boards and lists I've been to, that you either love or hate. Not much in between at all.

I hated it.

The humor was stale, used, copied from other shows. I don't mind shows that highlight one character as long as that character is used properly. Sam was misused in this one... even an AOL user knows you can't control computer viruses! :eek:

Jack had a few good lines - the 'brown nosing weasel' one, but otherwise, thought it was awful.

SEveral folks have said "this is a guy's episode," which I guess explains the blatant Sam-Chloe catfight, which guys for some reason seem to enjoy.

But I can't see the theory that is good for Jack/Sam ship. The women were, after all, fighting over Felger, not Jack.

It turns out it's all a twisted dream of Felger's (and he gets paid to daydream, how nice) but I think I'll just consider that this episode did not exist at all. Yech.

which I guess explains the blatant Sam-Chloe catfight, which guys for some reason seem to enjoy.

It was ridiculas and cliched on purpose, since I guess that is what most guys like (I don't, and I am straight). It was just a fantasy, just a through-line from the fantasy at the end of The Other Guys.

I liked both this and The Other Guys. Sure, Felger broke protocal by giving his mother his number, but it's not that big of a deal, and it's only his mother, the SGC can handle such a small leak. Also, the virus thing wasn't that bad, I thought it was an interesting concept and at least viruses aren't used every other episode. As for stealing from other shows, I don't really watch oher scifi shows (or any shows, besides ER really) so that's not an issue with me. Season 7 has been pretty poor so far, and this was one of it's best episodes. Sure, if this was in season 1-6 it would be in the okay/bad clump, but we're grading on a curve this season.

i don't have an issue with felger's mother having the number, i mean hammy's grandkids have called him at work.

it was a way to show that he's well aware of how he's perceived and aware of the stakes. he also knows that he's messed up...big.

as to seeing what's ship, it's in the eyes of the beholder. if folks want to project, then it could be seen that sam was willing to face baal to get jack back home, or it could also be said that she did it to fix the gate network and thus save their jobs (no working stargate, no sgc, no job for any of them)...and she was also part of the team that made the virus. she was responsible too.

All of it is in how people see things and interpret things.

My only complaint about this episode was that they took a good thing a little too far. I think they made Felger's character too accident prone and too absent minded to make him believable. Despite the fact that he is a brilliant mind, this is still a military base we're talking about. No military man would put someone like Felger on their base because he obviously can’t stand the pressure. The fact that he left the compound to go 'feed the ducks' while people were risking their lives off world is what really pushed me over the edge.

Other than that problem though, I think this turned out to be a pretty good episode. Stargate handles humor a lot better than some sci fi shows out there. They now how to mix it into the more serious plots without lessening the weight of the situation.

As for the absence of MS, RDA, and CJ, I think that was done very well. It gave them reasonable excuses for being gone, and the plot didn’t leave their fates shrouded in mystery. All of RDA’s scenes were great, as usual. It’s amazing what he can do with just a few lines.

When that ship flew over and started shooting all the Jaffa I just knew Jack had to be the one flying that thing. :D

I’m not a fan of Carter, I never have been, but Amanda did pretty well in this episode. I still wish Felger had been the one to have all the break throughs on the Avenger and how to fix it. Having her there to give her two cents at every turn was a little annoying. Her constant idea giving made his input have less of an impact, in my opinion. This ep. didn't have him come out the hero I think he writers were trying to make him into. It left me feeling as though Sam could have solved the problem without him.

I thought this was a 'good laugh' episode. I like having them once in a while. & as for shippiness, it does sho Jack's shippiness. If Jack's 'attraction' 'love' whatever you want to call it, shows up in Felger's fantasy, it must be well known that Jack likes Sam 'more than he should' also the fact Jack jumped a ship to come rescue Sam... Sm also seemed very upset when Jack was caught off world...just my shippy little heart working over time...:D

Originally posted by Penguin
SEveral folks have said "this is a guy's episode," which I guess explains the blatant Sam-Chloe catfight, which guys for some reason seem to enjoy.

Bingo!;) I thought it was silly and fun, on other boards members really took offense to it.

Need I remind the ladies they got a blatant shot of !nakid! Daniel, need I remind, remind, and be very repetitious, and remind, you!;)

But ours was for humourous purposes...

Compared to the unfunny Space Race, this one scores high on the comedy intake. And the plot itself is very stargateish, with "blind the enemy", figuratively speaking, through an disruption...of the stargates. I think this would have been great season finale material.

And finally, an old fashion shoot em up at the end, Carter can really handle herself going solo against the jaffa, props.:cool:

I've so far enjoyed the Felger episodes, be it, only two...

Yes and No...

Okay - major difference of opinion here. :(

Felgar = yes. Being totally demeaining of a highly professional military woman and a female scientist for the simple sake of playing off male ego = no.

Sorry, but this didn't cut it with me. Probably because I am a female professional and a professional military member. And saying it was okay because TPTB 'gave' the female viewers a minute of 'cheesecake' shots of Daniel and that should excuse an entire episode of rampent non-professionilism doesn't cut it in my book.

Daniel 'decended' sans clothing because he acended without clothes [remember he was pretty much wrapped only in bandages] so there was actually a plot thread in there, but it was only a very small part. I'd hate to think that TPTB felt that a major piece of plot development for an entire episode should be male locker room humor.

I don't mind humor and, having been in the US Army for over 20 years [and pretty much being 'one of the guys' ], I have no problem with male or 'locker room' humor. But, please! Don't try to justify almost an hour of it to me based on a brief 'nudie' shot in another episode. This episode was one of the 'least' classic Stargate episodes shown over the entire 7 seasons for me because classic Stargate is about people and individuals rising above impossible odds and being treated and treating each other with honor and respect - not making them out to be like a cheap floozy in a bad skin flick.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion - your milage may vary.

Rowan

Re: Yes and No...

Okay - major difference of opinion here.
:(

No reason to be sad, I love freedom of speech...

Felgar = yes. Being totally demeaining of a highly professional military woman and a female scientist for the simple sake of playing off male ego = no.

Felgar's social life, from what we've had a glimpse at anyway, seems very, oh, how should I say, pathetic...yes, pathetic. Add the embedded testosterone and you've got your detrimental male fantasy, a catfight! shown with its tongue squarely in cheek of course.;)

Sorry, but this didn't cut it with me. Probably because I am a female professional and a professional military member. And saying it was okay because TPTB 'gave' the female viewers a minute of 'cheesecake' shots of Daniel and that should excuse an entire episode of rampent non-professionilism doesn't cut it in my book.

On the gratuitous level, it ranks at least an 8(out of 10). But this isn't what I took issue with, no, my original comparison, and what I addressed previously, is the Daniel shot( a subtle sexual appeal to women) with the aforementioned catfight( a harmless, albeit, a typical male mindset).

Daniel 'decended' sans clothing because he acended without clothes [remember he was pretty much wrapped only in bandages] so there was actually a plot thread in there, but it was only a very small part. I'd hate to think that TPTB felt that a major piece of plot development for an entire episode should be male locker room humor.

Why not? I thought it was hilarious in the context of the episode( Felgar, a sexually deprived man).:D

I don't mind humor and, having been in the US Army for over 20 years [and pretty much being 'one of the guys' ], I have no problem with male or 'locker room' humor. But, please! Don't try to justify almost an hour of it to me based on a brief 'nudie' shot in another episode.

I wasn't trying to, in fact, I was applying it to that last scene, the infamous meow! catfight...

This episode was one of the 'least' classic Stargate episodes shown over the entire 7 seasons for me because classic Stargate is about people and individuals rising above impossible odds and being treated and treating each other with honor and respect

Agreed...

not making them out to be like a cheap floozy in a bad skin flick.

That was the point, well, at the end anyway. In referrence to Felgar, the daydreaming fantasy scene doesn't apply to reality, it only applies to Felgar's sick, twisted illusions, but, at the same time, light hearted funny ones. Like as in ha ha ha, ha!

That's what I like...

That's what I like about this forum: we can agree to disagree with much enthusiasm and it doesn't become a slugging match. ;)

I think what we've got is just the basic difference in how we see the episode - which is cool as difference is what makes the whole thing worth watching.

Row