7.08: Space Race

Anyone know what the heck happened to the downloading site? :( Anyone know if it's been moved if so email me PLEASE!!!

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was an OK ep. it wasn't good compared to other Stargate ep's. But it was better than most other TV.

I agree this was to Star Trek-ish even with the famed techo babble. The human purists was the best part yet it also used good. the amont of Special Effects in this ep make think that a clip show or two are in the works. Now "disclosure" was the worst.

ZachWZ

Well, I don't know if this is a spoiler (I don't consider this a spoiler, if I am wrong just delete this part of my post, mods) but to the best of my knowledge, there is no clip shows coming up in season 7.

Watched Space Race tonight and fast-forwarded through the news things. It really lifted my opinion of the episode. It flowed a lot better without the constant interruptions. This could have been a good episode if they would have A: Ditched the news scenes in favor of more plot-driving and charector scenes (the ep goes to fast, everything seems truncated), B: Made the Hebridian's culture less American (it was so 20th century American pop-culture based, not alien AT ALL), and 3: Had Murious the ONLY human in the race to give a better motive to rigging the race. I mean come on, 3/4 of the contestants we saw were human. Rigging it for a human to win wasn't exactly a long-shot.

Murious was the only FULL blooded human. It was stated severial times in this ep that it wasn't that unusual foir the two species to mix into hybrids.

kinda like how if a Nazi had a great, great, great, great, great, great great, jewish grandmother. They still wouldn't be considered ariyan.

ZachWZ

actually, there will be a bit of a clip show this year. lost city is costing more than expected so one of them will be clippy in a certain way.

Remember your spoliers, folks...

When in doubt, make spoilers of your comments.

{spoiler} insert text here {/spolier}, just change the { } to [ ].

Rowan

OK, thanks. I wasn't in doubt really, but it turns out I was incorrect.

This one was definitely on the dull side for me. Some things were done very well, but overall the episode felt derivative of both Star Trek and B5.

The ESPN-style tv show was great, moments of pure genius were buried in those scenes, but it was hard not to remember the Babylon 5 pre-cursor that was undoubtedly an influence.

The cynical brother was a good character, much more interesting than the stereotypical grizzly rival, or even Sam's co-pilot.

Enjoyable in an inoffensive way. Still confused over why they had pics of Daniel in the news report about the 'intrepid explorers'.

I never really did like aliens who talk in calm, sophiticated human voices(Asgards notwithstanding of course, who are indeed cool);), or those who generally talk too much under makeup or a mask. Forsaken had Star Trek like aliens harassing Sg-1, but I can forgive it since O'Neill had the chance of putting a bullet in one of them, which was pretty cool to see.:D Apparently we get a return with 'said' species who coincidently return in Space Race.

So I of course enjoyed the beginning, or actually the pregression of the beginning with O'Neill cracking jokes about their appearences. That was fun.

Then it became an lame Star Trek esque episode, and theres even an Star Trek insider type joke where an alien tells another to eat greto, or something like that, greco, grekko, grek grek, ahh, its unimportant, the point is it was pretty lame. I prefer the more topical jokes, or generally the wisecracking ones relating to modern day Earth, or silly referrnces to the Wizard of Oz. Im getting carried away with this, but hopefully my point is clear.;)

It was an mildly entertaing one I guess...*shruggs*

For me ...

For me 'Space Race' was the most annoying episode of S7 to date. I could have done without the endless 'commercials' for this or that product - the interuptions broke the flow of the episode. If they had used that technique only a couple of times, it might have gone over better with me, but it seemed like every time something happened in the race, they cut to a commercial.

This episode felt like a miss-mash of Trek and Bab-5 without the redeeming qualities of either show.

JMO-YMMV. ;)

Rowan

The problem felt, oh I don't know, contemporary, including the commentators. It was almost too furturistic, and the look and feel felt too polished for the Stargate universe. Where are the gould? Do they allow such sporting events to happen in this part of...space? Im sure they are advanced enough to protect themselves against the gould, but thats the hidden irony, they are not part of the "GREAT FOUR" and the gould despise those with technology greater than theirs.

The satire on our own global commentators and their relish for death(The-whats-his-name-alien and the female human alien(Carter) are going to die! make sure to buy heaps and volumns of sun deflectors(or whatever it was);) to protect your family) was pretty well done. But I still don't like the approach they took with it(the writers approach I guess).

If yoo taped it, try watching it and fast-forwarding through the commentators, trust me it's much better.

I agree with you about the Star Trek-B5 likeness, but for spaceship based stories those shows have pretty much done it all already, and anything Stargate does will be similar to something. Maybe that's why they should stick to being Stargate instead.

I've stopped reading spoilers in advance, and from the title, I actually thought that it would be a political story on Earth i.e. Senator Kinsey. I didn't get the real 'race' meaning.

The newscasters did nothing for me either, but on the plus side...

Originally posted by skydiver
the sfx were fantastic, everything from the scrolling alien graphics to the ship flying through asteroid fields.
yes, it was a little cliche here and there, but at least they avoided the biggest cliche (sam and warwick winning).

The cgi sfx was some of the best I've seen made for TV.

And I was surprised; I actually expected them to win. It was much better the way the story turned out.

Also, they have really put meat on the bones of these aliens now. Last time it was just the old cliché of a unhuman-looking alien turning out to be the good guy, and the humans turning out to be the baddies. Now we are seeing something of their culture and technology, and the fact that they have an 'Alien Nation' kind of problem on their world. I would like to revisit them again.

I really enjoyed this episode (if you fast-fowarded through those annoying commentaries and adverts by the Tech-Con groupd - urgh!!!.

Merged the two Space Race threads - so if things look a little wonky - that's why ----