7.08: Space Race

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
BIG SPOILERS

From Gateworld

The Hebridans from "Forsaken" return (both the humans and aliens). It seems we are in their space. A race is about to start -- through a space junk field, around a sun, etc. The Seberus (the ship from "Forsaken") returns in this episode. Jack, Sam Teal'c and Daniel are all there (no mention of Jonas).

A naquadah generator is on board the Seberus for some reason; it may be used to get the Seberus up to a good speed (remember ths Seberus uses a hydrogen-powered engine). They want to catch up to a guy called Jarlath. The race is being run by a company called Tech Con Group.

and from SG1_Spoilme

Carter is involved in the race with a pilot named Eamon. But, they've lost Teal'c, who apparently has been abducted. Something to do with the various alien races involved in corruption, conspiracies, greed. ...

Characters include Hagan (president of a group that hosts the contest -- the Loop of Kon Garat(?); Jarlath (some nasty ugly alien); La'el Montrose (a beautiful female pilot); Muirios (a handsome male pilot); Tynan (someone involved in the race but also in snatching Teal'c); and Warrick (... another pilot).

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info

Go to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/ for more info

MORE SPOILERS

Carter helps the crew of the Seberus ready their ship for the Loop of Kon Garat (a big race that has four stages: defense, navigation, maneuverability and speed). She also stays aboard the ship during the race.

Phalen is the owner of Phalen's One-Stop Ion Shop, where Carter and Warrick go to buy spare parts. Miles Hagen is the President of Tech Con Group, which is running the race. Other characters include Golon Jarlath (captain of the Oran), La'el Montrose (another captain or pilot), Murios (captain of the Etan Mayo, and the Seberus' main competition), Ward Tynan (a Tech Con Group employee), Warrick (crewman on the Seberus), Eamon (also on the Seberus).

Thanx to Gateworld for the info
For more info look to www.gateworld.net

This reminds me of the Star Trek Voyager episode where Paris had to take part in a race using the Delta Flyer. Have the writers reduced themselves to plageurism? :D

MORE SMALLER SPOILERS
From Scifi.com
Amanda Tapping, who co-stars as Maj. Samantha Carter on the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1, told SCI FI Wire that she will get to showcase Carter's rarely seen action chops in a seventh-season episode entitled "Space Race." "It's a cool episode that we're actually shooting as we speak," Tapping said in an interview this week. "It's kind of a video-game episode, and Sam engages in this space race in this ship with an alien that we'd encountered last season."

Tapping added that Sam is an adrenaline junkie who rides a motorcycle to work, and the change of pace is right up her alley. "So it's interesting to play her [in] this episode, because she's a lot more fun, a little cheekier," she said. "She's like a little kid, because everything is all about this race, and she really gets off on it."

Tapping said that she has long believed her character possessed an inner fire. But she was careful not to overplay it in "Space Race," she added. "I was talking to the director yesterday, after we'd finished a scene, and he said, 'Wow, I love what Sam is doing. I love what you're doing here with her,'" she said. "I said, 'It's not too much, because you can't just suddenly bring in this whole new side of the character.' It's something that's always been there, and now it gets to be right at the forefront, the kind of style that she has of 'Woo-hoo! I get to be in a race.'" Stargate SG-1 is currently in production for its seventh season, which will debut on SCI FI June 13.

Thanx to Scifi.com for the info
For more info look to http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-05/02/11.50.sfc

SPOILERS
From Gateworld
"'Space Race' is a departure episode. In this episode we see the return of Warrick, the character from 'Forsaken.' He comes to us, and he requests our help to win a race. Apparently on his planet, every year, a space race takes place and it's sponsored by a huge corporation. And the winner of the space race gets a lucrative transport contract with this corporation. Warrick and his brother desperately need to win the race, so they enlist the SGC's help. They simply want the naquadah generator that they can use on their ship, and Carter says okay, we'll give you the naquadah generator, but only so long as I get to tag along.
"So this is actually a fun Carter episode. This is Carter's chance to cut loose. She claims that the reason she needs to tag along is because she needs to keep an eye on the naquadah generator, that she can't let it out of her sight. But in reality the reason she's tagging along is because the race sounds like a lot of fun and when is she going to get an opportunity like this again? From just the preliminary stuff I've seen on this episode, it's going to be huge, huge, huge, huge. The visual effects department goes all out, and it's just going to be a very visual effects heavy episode. It'll be a lot of fun, but it will be a departure episode. It won't be your typical Stargate, 'team goes off-world, deals with a problem' episode. It takes place on a spaceship."

Thanx to Gateworld for the info, for more info look to www.gateworld.net

:D

BIG SPOILERS

From Gateworld

:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hebridans from "Forsaken" return (both the humans and aliens). It seems we are in their space. A race is about to start -- through a space junk field, around a sun, etc. The Seberus (the ship from "Forsaken") returns in this episode. Jack, Sam Teal'c and Daniel are all there (no mention of Jonas).

A naquadah generator is on board the Seberus for some reason; it may be used to get the Seberus up to a good speed (remember ths Seberus uses a hydrogen-powered engine). They want to catch up to a guy called Jarlath. The race is being run by a company called Tech Con Group.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and from SG1_Spoilme

:
Carter is involved in the race with a pilot named Eamon. But, they've lost Teal'c, who apparently has been abducted. Something to do with the various alien races involved in corruption, conspiracies, greed. ...

Characters include Hagan (president of a group that hosts the contest -- the Loop of Kon Garat(?); Jarlath (some nasty ugly alien); La'el Montrose (a beautiful female pilot); Muirios (a handsome male pilot); Tynan (someone involved in the race but also in snatching Teal'c); and Warrick (... another pilot).

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info

Go to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/ for more info

(has moved her spoilers to this thread!)

MORE SPOILERS

Carter helps the crew of the Seberus ready their ship for the Loop of Kon Garat (a big race that has four stages: defense, navigation, maneuverability and speed). She also stays aboard the ship during the race.

Phalen is the owner of Phalen's One-Stop Ion Shop, where Carter and Warrick go to buy spare parts. Miles Hagen is the President of Tech Con Group, which is running the race. Other characters include Golon Jarlath (captain of the Oran), La'el Montrose (another captain or pilot), Murios (captain of the Etan Mayo, and the Seberus' main competition), Ward Tynan (a Tech Con Group employee), Warrick (crewman on the Seberus), Eamon (also on the Seberus).

Thanx to Gateworld for the info
For more info look to www.gateworld.net

(SPOILERS ON THE MOVE!!!)

MORE SMALLER SPOILERS
From Scifi.com

Amanda Tapping, who co-stars as Maj. Samantha Carter on the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1, told SCI FI Wire that she will get to showcase Carter's rarely seen action chops in a seventh-season episode entitled "Space Race." "It's a cool episode that we're actually shooting as we speak," Tapping said in an interview this week. "It's kind of a video-game episode, and Sam engages in this space race in this ship with an alien that we'd encountered last season."

Tapping added that Sam is an adrenaline junkie who rides a motorcycle to work, and the change of pace is right up her alley. "So it's interesting to play her [in] this episode, because she's a lot more fun, a little cheekier," she said. "She's like a little kid, because everything is all about this race, and she really gets off on it."

Tapping said that she has long believed her character possessed an inner fire. But she was careful not to overplay it in "Space Race," she added. "I was talking to the director yesterday, after we'd finished a scene, and he said, 'Wow, I love what Sam is doing. I love what you're doing here with her,'" she said. "I said, 'It's not too much, because you can't just suddenly bring in this whole new side of the character.' It's something that's always been there, and now it gets to be right at the forefront, the kind of style that she has of 'Woo-hoo! I get to be in a race.'" Stargate SG-1 is currently in production for its seventh season, which will debut on SCI FI June 13.

Thanx to Scifi.com for the info
For more info look to http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-...05/02/11.50.sfc

(SORRY IF THIS IS ANNOYING, I thought it best to put all spoilers in one place!)

SPOILERS
From Gateworld

"'Space Race' is a departure episode. In this episode we see the return of Warrick, the character from 'Forsaken.' He comes to us, and he requests our help to win a race. Apparently on his planet, every year, a space race takes place and it's sponsored by a huge corporation. And the winner of the space race gets a lucrative transport contract with this corporation. Warrick and his brother desperately need to win the race, so they enlist the SGC's help. They simply want the naquadah generator that they can use on their ship, and Carter says okay, we'll give you the naquadah generator, but only so long as I get to tag along.
"So this is actually a fun Carter episode. This is Carter's chance to cut loose. She claims that the reason she needs to tag along is because she needs to keep an eye on the naquadah generator, that she can't let it out of her sight. But in reality the reason she's tagging along is because the race sounds like a lot of fun and when is she going to get an opportunity like this again? From just the preliminary stuff I've seen on this episode, it's going to be huge, huge, huge, huge. The visual effects department goes all out, and it's just going to be a very visual effects heavy episode. It'll be a lot of fun, but it will be a departure episode. It won't be your typical Stargate, 'team goes off-world, deals with a problem' episode. It takes place on a spaceship."

Thanx to Gateworld for the info, for more info look to www.gateworld.net

(this is the last of it, you can tell me off if you don't like what I'm doing!)

Just saw this one last night and thought it was a lot of fun. I especially liked the Hebridean version of ESPN and the tacky TV commercials (that's not a spoiler, but something for others to look forward to)

Take a good look at the TV graphic for the "intrepid explorers" who rescued Warrick -- something of a math problem for SG1 team members

Fun is a word i've heard a lot from folks that have seen it. And it's the first word that came to mind for me.

there were some great lines all around, and wonder of wonders, everyone got to come out and play this time.

the news casters, oh geez they were cheese on a plate, but if you listened to them, they were hysterical. a nod to b5's ISN maybe????

the sfx were fantastic, everything from the scrolling alien graphics to the ship flying through asteroid fields.
yes, it was a little cliche here and there, but at least they avoided the biggest cliche (sam and warwick winning).

all in all, a very enjoyable hour. if you liked the other guys you should like this. tongue in cheek and definitely not taking itself seriously. Great drama? no. 43 minutes of engaging entertainment? yes.

all it needed, for me, would have been to have aris boch show up. now that would have been cool :)

Yeah I think definitely the word is fun. It was a very entertainment episode, I totally love the commentators of the race and the commercials. The race was cool also, and it was good to see Sam having fun in this one. :D

Krystal :p

All-in-all, it was a okay/good episode, but the news spots ruined it IMO. It didn't really fit, too cheesy and was a rip-off of the Media Breaks from Robocop 1. They sort of worked in Robocop, but they don't work here. Sort of break the continuity.

Better than Lifeboat and Revisions, not as good as Fragile Balance, Fallen/Homecoming .

This was an episode of Star Trek with the SG1 cast inserted, the whole theme was even lifted from the Voyager episode Drive.
It represents the antithesis of everything which drew me to Stargate in the first place. Most of the episode consists of a space borne fireworks display to try and enthral the viewer without decent writing. Their main course of action is to hook up a piece of technology instead of cooperating and facing their problems with dedication and a limitless supply of patience. At the end they even resolve everything with a techno-babble fix, peddling the merits of easy answers.
The focus on the character of Carter brings the episode into the realm of soap instead of the teamwork and exploration theme prevalent in the earlier series. References to crossbreeding of species that genetically developed independently is undiluted Star Trek, forwarding the maxim that love conquers all instead of mutual tolerance and patient diplomacy.

I can honestly say that 'Space Race' was the worst episode of Stargate SG1 that I've seen. It makes 'Wormhole Extreme' look like a masterpiece and I hated WE (except for the DeLuise brothers).

The *funny* bits weren't, there was no suspense, the commentators were mildly funny the first time but got old very quickly, and Carter was reduced to being a sidekick for two guys in green makeup.

The worst thing is that this ep aired the week Stargate got a big push in TV Guide. I can only imagine the reaction of the new viewers to this dull, lame, cheeseball dud.

I couldn't agree more.
The Zeraken are the classic Star Trek aliens with bright makeup and less than convincing latex ridges.
The way the subversion was foiled at the end was laughable. Most international sports competitions are heavily rigged by organised criminals, governments and corporations and nothing happens.
In the same way Wormhole Xtreme didn't have anything to distinguish it as an episode as Stargate, Space Race also lacked anything Stargate. Both were overflowing with sci-fi cliché.