7.07: Enemy Mine [was 'Hallowed Ground']

Oh, and the point of Teal'c sneaking in on Daniel and company? To ensure his safety(or something). But then the unas become suspicious of this "friendly" gould, which warrants an rised eyebrow from T-man, and Daniel is apprehensive, and Chaka vaguely looks into the distance...well, anything to utilize Teal'c, anything!... ;)

There's three sections of Season 7 episodes, ones I like, ones I thought were OK and ones I hated. This is one I thought was OK. Now, in previous seasons the third section (ones I hated) would be like 1 eopisode per season AT THAT, and ones that were OK would be like 5 or so episodes only. But season 7 is differant...it's not as good as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6!

Liked:
Fallen
Homecoming
Fragile Balance
Avenger 2.0
Birthrite

OK:
Hallowed Ground
Evolution 1
Space Race (if I can fast-forward through the news things)
Orpheus

Hated:
Revisions
Lifeboat
Space Race (with the news things intact, I really think it takes away from the ep's quality)

I liked this one, maybe Colonel Edwards was predictable, but I liked the parallel with the original Jack-Daniel relationship from the original film. Daniel said that he had spent a lot of time conditioning Jack and didn't want to have to start again.

Originally posted by Lonewolf89
I don't really understand why the Unas would be willing to mine for the humans. Isn't that the kind of deal they had with the Goa'uld, minus the beatings and abuse?

Wouldn't this be more of a trading partnership than slave and master?

Originally posted by Penguin
The Unas are probably smart enough to realize that the humans will start a war for the mining rights and they do like the candy bars, so.... they strike a bargain. I think the writers just read some articles on Brazil....

Maybe that's true too. I don't actually think that the Unas are as smart as Daniel thinks they are if they think that a lighter is high technology though.

Differences

I don't feel 'smart' should be equated with 'sophistication' or 'being worldly'. I don't think our forebearers were any less 'smart' than we are and a lighter would have been a marvel to them because they didn't have the technicological background to understand it. The only exposure the Unas probably had to fire was either through nature [lightning strikes, etc] or some more primative manual means 'flint and steel sparks, etc]. A lighter, something that small that burns without visable fuel or a recognized means of starting has got to be a pretty awe inspiring site to a being in a more primative culture.

And just to take this simile one step further: I 'Enigma', Sam tries to discuss Quantum Math with Nariem and when she fanially gets him to understand what she's talking about, he not only acknowledges that his culture figured that out a long time ago but that most of what she's expousing is wrong. Does that make us less smart than the Tollan? In my humble opinion, no. It just means we're less sophicated in that area.

To me, smartness equates to learning ability, not one's comfort level with technology.

MJO-YMMV. ;)

Rowan

I agree with your definition of smartness, but I only agree with you up to a point....

We are almost 100% genetically the same as cavemen, so they were just as smart as us. The only difference is that we have written down what we have learnt and can pass that on to the next generation, who take that learning forward a little more.

But if an alien spaceship landed tomorrow and showed us some magic technology that they had, would we all act like the Unas and the lighter. Maybe we would fight over the technology, but would we treat them like superiors? You obviously agree that we wouldn't from the last post.

I don't think someone going back in time to give a caveman something from the 21st Century would be treated like that either, except in very bad Hollywood films. So, should that Unas really act like the lighter was a piece of magic?

There are a lot of obvious parallels with 18th Century colonialism, but these Unas have already seen Goa'uld technology before. Or do you think they are decendents of the original Goa'uld slaves? -- the Unas had never seen a spaceship (or just didn't understand Daniels hand symbols) so maybe I got that wrong.

different ways of looking at thigs.

I think my point in this is yes, the Unas of this planet had been exposed to Goa'uld tech, but how long ago was it? The current living beings may not have current knowledge. Maybe the Unas Daniel gave to lighter to had been told tales of such things from his forebearers and wasn't as much amazed at this new things but was realizing that some of the 'tall tales Uncle Fel'grek told' were true.

One never knows, does one. ;)

Row

I think the current Unas hadn't really been exposed to much actual Goa'uld technology. I think it was set up to show that they were descendents of the original Unas slaves.

Also while we might not see advanced aliens as being better than us or "magic" that is more because of the place we've advanced to ourselves by this point in time. However there are recorded events of stone-age level peoples who came into contact with more modern people believing they are gods or at least "better" than them, for a little while at least. Things that we took for granted were like magic to them.

For example there were the so-called "cargo cults" which grew out of primitive tribes coming into contact with airplanes for the first time during World War II. They believed if they constructed landing strips somehow they'd be able to entice the gods back. Maybe they didn't actually think of them as gods but they certainly thought of them as somehow special and magical.

They weren't any stupider than us or less able to learn, they just didn't have the knowledge base to start with that we had and they hadn't learned certain things yet.

Despite this ep having almost, no sam :eek: (she's my fav char!) I really really enjoyed it. The Jack and Daniel moments were great and I loved how he tried to communicate with the wild Unas, and Chaka is just cool (despite the fact it was a different actor playing him this time!)

A V. good ep overall :D