7.07: Enemy Mine [was 'Hallowed Ground']

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
Enemy Mine/Hallowed Ground

BIG SPOILERS
From Gateworld
"While on a survey of an abandoned naquadah mine on P3X-403 one of Colonel Edwards' men, one Lt. Ritter, goes missing. SG-1 arrives to help in the search, and Daniel finds evidence of Unas living on the planet. The Unas want the 'Umans' (i.e. humans) to leave their home alone. The humans want to mine the rich deposit of naquadah they have just discovered.

"Daniel calles in his old buddy, Chaka, to help him negotiate with the local Unas leader, who Daniel nicknames Iron Shirt for the Jaffa armor he wears. It's a tense situation and negotiations break down as an Unas is mistakenly killed by a soldier who believes he is about to be attacked."

From SG1_Spoilme
SG-3 is on a planet on a geological survey that is taking months. The mission
is boring, but the naquada resources look good ... unfortunately one of their
own, a geologist named Ritter, abruptly vanishes.

SG-1 is called in to find the man. Daniel finds some artifacts that the team
found, but didn't mention, which Daniel senses is an important find that
shouldn't have been moved. The searching continues, until Teal'c and Daniel
find some 'scarecrows'. Daniel recognizes a necklace around one of the
figures as the same kind that the Unas wore to protect themselves from
Gou'ald implantation. He also recognizes the figures as a warning of some
kind.

The team soon discovers the warning is dire when it's revealed Ritter is one
of those figures. Daniel thinks the team somehow, unwittingly, provoked the
attack but before anymore can be discussed, the SG teams find themselves
under attack by Unas.

Somehow, the team gets Chaka (from "The First Ones," "The Beast of Burden")
to this world as a kind of go-between to help Daniel communicate with the
indigenous Unas. The Unas wish to be left alone, refuse to leave their world,
and want the humans to go away. The humans' problem escalate horribly when an
SG-12 team member kills an Unas, and the rest of the Unas tribes decide to
move in for the kill.

Guest characters include: Colonel Edwards (smart guy); Major Lorne (eager
beaver type); 2nd Lt. Menard (bookwormish type); Iron Shirt (local in-charge
Unas); Chaka (off-world Unas); Lt. Woeste (intense soldier type).

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info
For more info go to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme

hmm, sounds interesting...but how would Danny boy know where to find Chacka, didn't Chacka go off to help his brotherand on a different planet or something?

Originally posted by skoon
hmm, sounds interesting...but how would Danny boy know where to find Chacka, didn't Chacka go off to help his brotherand on a different planet or something?

I'm guessing we'll find out in the episode. Last time they hooked up with Chaka they explained at the beginning how they knew where he was, and the background behind why Daniel was monitoring him and such. I'm guessing something similar was in place the 2nd time around, just someone else started doing the monitoring after Daniel ... vanished. :)

Spoilers for this episode can be found at: "Enemy Mine"

My thanks to SG-1 Solutions for this spoiler link.

Rowan

Looks like a good ep, and Michael Rooker is guest-starringm so that's cool. I hope Jack doesn't just sit there like he has been doing this season. I think I might actually prefer him not around than being so passive and always in the background. This would be a great ep for Jack to step up and let us see a great Jack/Daniel moral conflict!

SPOILERS!!!

Spoilers
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
This episode started off great, with Jack there and actually having lines. When I saw him with the sling on I knew it was done for and he wasn't going to be in the rest of the ep. This was another Daniel ep, Sam was in only one scene (WTF?) and Teal'C could have done a lot more. Still, I think I like this one more than Lifeboat. It's still below-par for seasons 1-6, but on the first viewing it's one of 7's best eps so far. I wish Unas actually LOOKED the same though, I know he wasn't played by the same actor, but not even the makeup was the same. Also, Michael Rooker was a jerk. Was looking forward to him in this, but he was irredeemable. Maybe he will come back sometime and have more depth. Edwards could be the next Kawalsky or Makepeace.

If you like daniel and the unas...ya got it made. With a whole 8 minutes of jack and literally 1 minute of sam, this was nowhere near any sort of team episode, it was all daniel all the time.

Colonel edwards was a predictible, stupid, hardass military hardcase with the 'screw the natives' attitude...that was ok at the very beginning but got more than a little old after a bit. 100% cliche. He suffered from severe testosterone poisoning, so eager to go get the unas' that he wanted to ignore the fact that they'd just been attacked and had more wounded than healthy folks.

Daniel was 180 degrees the other way, high on his moralistic horse. Yes the message may have been the 'right' one...but it was delivered with a louisville slugger.

When you boil it down, he really didn't do much once they got back to the planet but save the viewer from having to read subtitles.

The plot was a rip of Spirits, jack even got hurt in the same arm, but with a more animalistic view and no sliver clad aliens to save the day. And the morale of the story 'stop being meanines and stealing the goods from the poor natives' and 'just because they've got scales doesnt' mean they're not people too' was just as predictible and heavy handed.

But, the daniel fans should love it, he translates his little heart out, wears his bandana, is patted on the back by the mean old colonel who sees the errors of his ways. Sam isn't in the show, teal'c doesnt do much beyond supporting Daniel...about the only thing the 'team' fans won't like is that there's not more jack/daniel moments or a jack pat on the back for the conquering hero at the end.

One bright spot, Major Warren is a cutie. It'd be nice if he shows back up. If we're going to get another episode of SG-1 without SG-1, at least he's a little eye candy

I watched it and it quickly became RDA lite. It could have been better if there was more of a conflict between O'Neill and Colonel Edwards. In the original Stargate movie O'Neill was like Colonel Edwards and this episode could have shown the growth of the O'Neill character. Teal'C stood around and did nothing. I would have rather watched a Teal'C centered episode. At least Teal'C doesn't bore one to death. Next weeks episode looks RDA lite as well. Boy do I hope I am wrong.

or maybe if daniel and edwards had toned it down a bit. edwards reminded me of the mayor of amityville....we're going to have our fourth of july holiday and damn that shark in the water.

If the military thinks it's 'bad' for the show to portray a male/female relationship and it shows the air force in a bad light....what does a stupid hard assed colonel do? He fulfilled every military stereotype since Custer (maybe that would even have been a better name for him)

The american indian, screw you, i'm gonna take your land if i have to kill you do to it, ideal was also hard and heavy.

Maybe if there had been a little more middle ground between both of the characters, something to give them more depth than just being cliches.

I'm just glad they actually bothered to write ack out of the episode. Instead of having him standing in the background not doing anything like he has been doing this season.

Yeah, the episode was a little preachy and full of cliches, but I still like it better than Lifeboat or Revisions. Space Race doesn't look that great, and I hope Jack stays on Earth or something so that we don't have to deal with his anti-pressence.

It was a good episode, I specially enjoy that we got to see Chaka again. And seeing Michael Roorke was great also, I love his stubborn type characters. It was good to see him and hope we can see more of Colonel Edwards. I specially enjoy when he says We're ready and Daniel says No you're not. And later when they were surrounded and see they were seriously outnumbered.

Krystal :p

It was a pretty good episode. Not great, but pretty good.

Loved Jack's appearance in this, but it was too short. I wonder if they're saving him up for "Heroes".... and Sam... hardly anything with her, but next week looks like she gets to shine.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed Michael Rooker's appearances, and even if he was stereotypical in this episode, it was still fun to see him. The character has promise, if the writers can do better dialogue for him!

I missed Dion Johnstone as Chaka, as this Chaka was different - even the makeup looked different. I keep wondering where all the female Unas and little Unas are....

The good -

The Jack and Daniel interaction at the beginning ("Go to your happy place.") and Daniel's face when he sees all of the artefacts just dumped in the container, these were good moments.

Teal'c got a line!

The *minute* infirmary scene where Jack underplays Sam's overhaul of the gate system was kinda cute, even if she wasonly there to show the audience that she wasn't in fact dead, but that was she off getting her scientific groove on at the SGC.

Bandana!Daniel :naughty:

The er, less good -

The plot. Been there, done that, no thank you. Contrived, cliched, boring.

Stock characters - Saint!Daniel (like i said earlier, he had a nice moment with the artefacts but then he turned into He Who Is Always Right); the military leader who doesn't really trust or want to listen to The Civilian (or logic, apparently) but wants to go kick some butt in revenge. Aren't officers taught to do what's best logically, for everyone involved? Yes, some of his men had died, but he's a seasoned officer, trained to see an objective viewpoint of the situation, instead of an emotional response that could lead to more deaths.

So, an ok ep, but nothing to write home about.

I liked this episode. It wasn't great, however it had some high points.

Jack actually made an in character, memorable apperance. I loved the interaction between him and Daniel. When Danny spotted the artifacts and he tells him to go to his happy place, that's one of my favorite moments this season. I liked the scene in the infirmary too when Jack tells the nurse to get away. :D

Daniel's back to his old self! I really liked his willingness to work with the Unas and form a peaceful negotiation. I know it's been done before, but after having him gone for a season, it's great to have that type of thing back in the show.

I liked the too plot. A little cliches, but then I think most Stargate episodes are to a degree.

Colonel Edwards was really the only thing that ruined this episode for me. As a member of the SGC you would think all the soldiers would be able to get along with and relate to aliens. Otherwise, they shouldn't be on the team. He was a big disappointment, and it makes me wonder who recruited him. I hope it wasn't Hammond.

I would have liked to see more of Teal'C. Maybe have him knock some sense into the Colonel. At least have him make a few smart aleck remarks about the man's inability to understand his situation.

I don't really understand why the Unas would be willing to mine for the humans. Isn't that the kind of deal they had with the Goa'uld, minus the beatings and abuse?

I don't really understand why the Unas would be willing to mine for the humans. Isn't that the kind of deal they had with the Goa'uld, minus the beatings and abuse?

~~~~~~~~~

kinda. but they control it. With the unas mining the naquadah, the sgc doesn't have to do anything but show up adn take the stuff home. Chances are they;ll never go more than 100 yards from the gate.

The unas obviously have nothing else to do, so if they mine, they get food and the such, they keep the humans off their planet and out of their way and they get to kick goauld tushie even if it's only by extension. It's not lie the sgc is gonna come in and bitch for them not hitting a quota.

And edwards....i know there was pressure to perform, but i can't see hammond condoning this sort of fanaticism. What happened to psychological screening and the such?

to me he woud have been m ore realistic and a 'better' character had he not been so fanatical. it would have made him more two dimensional and 'real' than the cliched character that he was

I keep wondering where all the female Unas and little Unas are....

Hidden away in the caves no doubt. The Unas seem like one of those species that really value thier women and children, so they keep them hidden and safe. The males hunt and protect the caves. We have only been in Unas caves once (The First Ones) and we didn't go THAT deep. Perhaps the women and children could be seen in a Season 8 episode, further revealing the Unas culture.

I follow the "been there done that" train of thought, though I did like Danny it this ep. Specially when he freeks & says 'how many?' Unas... was very distrought in the beginning, wondering where the heck Sam was. They sure waited long enough to give her her half second. So did Amanda have the day off?

Originally posted by skydiver

~~~~~~~~~

The unas obviously have nothing else to do, so if they mine, they get food and the such, they keep the humans off their planet and out of their way and they get to kick goauld tushie even if it's only by extension. It's not lie the sgc is gonna come in and bitch for them not hitting a quota.

And edwards....i know there was pressure to perform, but i can't see hammond condoning this sort of fanaticism. What happened to psychological screening and the such?

-- Humans have a very good track record of the more 'civilized' man plying the less civilized man/being with treats. Just like you'd lure a squirrel in with a nut, a candy bar works for an Unas. Only a few years down the road, I want to see what they're going to do with the angry Unas who get nasty painful cavities. ;) The Unas are probably smart enough to realize that the humans will start a war for the mining rights and they do like the candy bars, so.... they strike a bargain. I think the writers just read some articles on Brazil....

-- Probably the same screening that let Jonas - Sam's ex-fiance - through. Shipping someone off planet is something that's very tough to screen for. Edwards wasn't fanatical, but man, he'd make a very good businessman. That's the kind of credo many businesses operate under. They may not kill their employees, but they treat them like dirt, rip away their benefits and fire them and don't care. I mean, look at Polaroid - firing 180 disabled employees and taking away their medical benefits and life insurance. So,

Deja vu, theres a glitch in the...Stargate. Yes, Spirits, Spirits already covered this. But this show has a reputation of rehashing old stuff and adding its own spin, and in fact making it better. So, was it good?

No.

I didn't really like Edwards. Im pretty clear on his stand, and I understand what he's supposed to be all about, Rough and tough commander bringing in the assets, but it was not flattering, and I personally think the acter sucks, in my opinion. The role reaks of O'Neil, and perhaps the writer's intention was to have O'Neill be the voice of objection in the beginning. So Im speculating, but Im thinking they just warped Edwards into an fanatic to replace him[O'Neill].

Teal'k should have been allowed to interract with Daniel more, then perhaps the episode could have flowed better then it really did, which was a slow flow I may say. I wouldn't have minded some humanly rapport between them, not unlike season 5's 2001. Perhaps Teal'c could have followed Daniel and because of his stubborness, Daniel's friendly relations with the unas could be delt in jepardy because of Teal'k's actions.[I know, Chaka would sense him, but remember Jaffas can slow to an heart rate of one beat per minute so dispute that];)

I will end by saying the Daniel/Unas first contact was intersting in The First Ones, fun to watch in Beast of Burden, but now its an feeling of...despair for an Unas episode. But its better than nothing, I suppose. :dead: