Regenerations questions?

I wish they'd thrown out the Daleks too. They keep getting destroyed, totally and absolutely and for all time We Swear.....

Time .... Daleks will never be destroyed, cos they could come (back) again from any era :)

I've only seen one Matt Smith DW so far ... meh. Nothing special as far as I could tell. I hope it got better.

Interestingly (or spectacularly not, perhaps), I've been telling myself stories to help me sleep for years and years and last week I started to tell myself a DW story - it was Eccleston I subconsciously cast.

In a recent episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures, Matt Smith is being quizzed (in an RTD script) about how his faces has changed. One of the questions is "How often can you do it", and his rattled-off answer is "Five hundred and three".

I think the goal posts have been moved.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in the faces in Brain of Morbius. Hartnell is the first Doctor to all intents and purposes.
You can interpret it however you want. The 7th Doctor indicated at one point that a in a previous incarnation he was around at the original time of Rassilon.
In The TV Movie the Master claims the Doctor is half human - but no one takes that as so even though the TV Movie is part of canon.

EC
TalkingWho - a new fan talk show live on the internet starting Wednesday 20th April at 9pm UK - be there to join us and take part in the live chat

Hartnell is the first Doctor to all intents and purposes. You can interpret it however you want.

Okay, I'm going to come back at the number of regeneration question from a different angle.

The recent episodes and trailers associated with the 50th anniversary have underlined several hazy points. The Doctor says that he is 940 years old. McGann regenerated into Hurt who regenerated into Eccleson. Smith is going to regenerate this year.

So, in the last 50 years we have had 13 regenerations. What is the chance that in the first 890 years there was none?

(Okay, if he lead a cosseted life on Galifrey it might be possible, but that wasn't the case.)

Well... let's get a bit dense.

Until recently it has been accepted that there were 11 Incarnations that started with Hartnell and ended with Matt Smith.

A Time Lord has 12 regenerations - which is 13 incarnations. So after Smith there are two more to go.

When Ecclestone refused to return for the special they had to rewrite the role slightly and cast John Hurt, inserting another Doctor, so everyone politely moves along one. (As an aside I don't know why they did not use McGann rather than introducing a new Doctor. A overly human Doctor forced into doing more and more terrible things would have a bigger emotional impact and when, at the end he had just had enough and regenerated into Ecclestone it would be to start to heal.)

Sooo, technically Smith's regeneration will be his last and Capaldi will be the last incarnation.

In between this we have a few unusual abberations - The Valyard was somewhere between incarnations (how that worked who knows?) and the Dream Master was a variation of the Doctor too.

Then there was The Brain of Morbius in which we glanced at previous images of 2 battling Time Lords they went backwards through the Doctors from Tom Baker to William Hartnell and then there were more faces, the implication being there were more before Hartnell. Let's just write them off and say they were Morbius...

My guess is that one of the major changes that is being talked about at the end of the special is a revamp of the regeneration process.

So Capaldi will be the 1st in a new set of regenerations.

(Alternatively when Matt Smith appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures and someone questioned how many times he could change he said 570 so everything goes out the window. It might have been a silly remark, or maybe something changed during the time war.)

The Doctors age:

During William Hartnell's time as the Doctor he was something like in his 600's and Tom Baker referred to himself as being in his late 700's. Sylvester McCoy was nearly 1000. Matt Smith should be something like 1,200 (the Impossible Astronaut states that would be his age when he was 'killed') Obviously one year real time is not the same as the Doctor's screen time.

This still leaves 600+ years for the first incarnation which as Dave says is unusual.

Either there were more, The Doctor did a good job looking after himself or...

Toward the end of the original run, the seventh Doctor referred once or twice to a triumvirate of Gallifreyans who set up Time Lord society - Rassilon, Omega and 'The Third'.

This was something that would have been built upon had it continued on air, but cancellation stopped that, although the story was continued in the now non-cannon Virgin books. This culminated in Lungbarrow, which saw the Doctor return to his actual home on Gallifrey, and in flashback we learned of the trio. In it the implication was that (surprise) the Doctor was The Third.

After the war with the Great Vampires the Gallifreyans needed to recover and reorder. Rassilon set up the society, while Omega stellar engineered stars, which led to time travel. The Third helped recreate the way the now Time Lords reproduced, which was artificially through a vast genetic machine, knitting bodies together, giving them the ability to regenerate.

He then past through the device and became The Doctor.

Although the books are non-cannon, if they use that kind of route, then maybe the Doctor/Third could count the years previous to passing through the genetic machine.

What idle speculation eh?

According to old Cannon a Gallifreyan (non Timelord) has a heart bypass system which enables them to live to up to 300 years or so. I presume that advances in medical technology can up that 600 years per incarnation to a comfortable 900 or so. Timelords are created when they are exposed to the eye of Harmony a specially detonated Black Hole that powers Gallifrey: This gives them the ability to Regenerate. The first Timelord was Rassilon. It was he and Omega and the Third who detonated the Black hole and created the Eye. Omega was turned into into anti matter the third threw himself into the Genetic looms to be reborn at a later time. Rassilon was dragged in front of the council, sick and dying, he fell to the floor of the chamber. There he thrashed and writhed and he did so his hair turned from Grey to blond his wrinkles dispeared. He became young again. This ushered the bloodiest time of the Timelords, as they were convinced of their superiority over all over races, this period ended with the terrible Vampire wars and the sealing off of all other dimensions. The faces From Morbius could be the third or the other as Ive heard him called. I also wonder if the alteration of face and style is a development that older timelords have grown into or developed through technology. The 13 limit could have been imposed by Rassilon or other seeking to stop another Rassilon. The mechanical regeneration appearing in the Tom Baker story seemed to have no limit. As I say this is conjecture based on old Canon! My info is from an old Doctor Who mag from the 80's quoting the scrolls of Rassilon. The time war seems to have altered this or perhaps they needed a strong leader for the actual war and rebuilt him through the looms. Sorry for the ramble :eek: