Thoughts about Morpheus....(Spoiler?)

cersei

Matriculated
Just some thoughts about Morpheus...

Could it be that he will die in next film? Some of the cast have hinted in interviews there will be a major death in Revolutions...why Morpheus? well, Neo has "died" in first film and Trinity in second....so complete the "trinity" Morpheus is due up

What is most potentially prophetic is Niobe's name is derived from mythology where she cries inconsolably upon death of her children....ok it may mean Locke dying but I reckon she cares more for Morpheus (and don;t seem to ahve any children?)

I've been kind of waiting for Morpheus to bite the big one. Especially now that we've seen Trinity die... and come back. What could be more dramatic than Morpheus dying and Neo not being able to save him?

I haven't read any interviews... I try to stear clear of spoilers... but this is a good question. Regardless of what actors may or may not have said, I think Morpheus dying is a possibility. He's already shown that he's willing to sacrifice himself for what he believes, and he'd make a GREAT martyr. He believes in Neo like a disciple, so it's only logical after all. Besides, being the "god of dreams" it also makes sense that he'd be in a position to dream forever...

If it does happen, I'll probably cry... especially when I see Trinity and Neo's reactions. :crying:

What is most potentially prophetic is Niobe's name is derived from mythology where she cries inconsolably upon death of her children...
Didn't know about this. What is the name Niobe is derived from?

Speaking of mythology, I loved this little entry:
Nemesis: Goddess of destiny; alias Adrasteia, "the inevitable"
Sound like anyone we know? ;) (Disregarding the gender bias, anyway.)

Niobe's name..

Niobe - In Greek mythology, queen of Thebes, wife of Amphion and daughter of Tantalus. The mother of six sons and six daughters, she boasted of her fruitfulness, saying that Leto had only two children. Apollo and Artemis, angry at this insult to their mother, killed all Niobe's children. Crying inconsolably, she fled to Mt. Sipylus. There Zeus turned her into a stone image that wept perpetually.

anything for u pkgrl :)

Thanks! Just found the only reference to her in my book under Apollo... who apparently attoned for his action by prolonging the life of the husband of one of Niobe's daughters. :D

niobe's children: ghost and/or sparks? maybe. in any case, those that have played the game know

***********SPOILERS**************

that ghost loves niobe, but for his onanism, refuses to a) show it, and b) tell ANYONE. only the oracle knew it.

gaaa! too many spoilers. my bad.

Can I ask if you have all played and won the game already?
(Or have you found a way to cheat?)

I've heard that most of the video (including the scenes of Captain Niobe's team infiltrating the power station) can only be viewed once you've won.

Not sure if thats right....

Hmm from what I read about game...
SPOILERS.....
Persephone knows he loves someone whom he does not reveal. but it is shown Ghost and Trinity sparring which they are obviously close (though Trinity cares for Ghost in brotherly way)Ghost loves Trinity in not so sisterly way though it is suggested...

Haven't played the game at all... damn video card. Gotta get a new one and install it before the game will even run. :disgust:

Yeh, I am seriously tempted to buy an Xbox just for this game, and then return it asap ;)

I've been thinking about the relevance of names recently. The names these people take are hacker names, and therefore chosen by themselves, rather than designated by parents or program, so I have been wondering whether the relevance of the name to a character's future is a touch of prescience, or a kind of determinism. I.E. that by choosing such a name you are doomed (or blessed, I guess) to endure its ramifications. I would be interested to hear the Wachowski's take on this.

Perhaps this isn't the best thread for these ideas, but they just seemed to pop out from the above convo.

Getting back to Morpheus, I have been thinking that he is reminiscent of someone like John the Baptist, predicting and preparing the way for the Christ figure, but as famous in his own right.
If that comparison holds any water at all, then maybe we might expect him to be beheaded at Persephone's (Salome?) request in Revolutions.

Yeah, I've often refered to Morpheus as both prophet and deciple.

I, too, wondered about names. That almost all of the characters chose these names for themselves reveals a lot about each character (or should). We've done the same thing here, assinging handles or IDs to ourselves that are meaningful to us (and often have to be explained to others ;)) but rarely sound like names at all. Names like Morpheus and Niobe, taken from human mythology, were probably chosen by these characters because there was some aspect about the mythological figure that the person identified with. So Morpheus probably was quite the dreamer even before he became aware of the Matrix. (And it's probably obvious that I don't mind it when threads change angles.)

And speaking of mythology, did you guys catch my line about Nemesis?
Speaking of mythology, I loved this little entry:
Nemesis: Goddess of destiny; alias Adrasteia, "the inevitable"
Sound like anyone we know? (Disregarding the gender bias, anyway.)
Maybe it's more obvious if I state it this way: Neo's Nemesis is an integral part of his destiny and loves to use the word inevitable. Now does it sound familiar? :naughty:

nice thoughts gal :)

i love the way he says "In-e-vi-ta-bi-li-ty" classic :eek: