Strangers in the Afternoon

Manuel Cuervo

Hello everyone,
I would like to introduce myself since I am newbie to this forum. I just stumbled across it this fine evening and really enjoyed the level of enthusiasm and excitement towards science fiction.

I have read a few excerpts from various writers and I'm impressed by the level of energy being put into those pieces. For the most part I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of writing. There are a few pieces that have great story and may need just a little tweaking with grammar and vocabulary. For me these two are some of the hardest elements of writing and I have yet to master them to the level I desire. One of the ways I have helped myself is by getting a copy of the Elements of Style. If you don't have the cash to buy it then there is an old version of the book in this site: http://www.bartleby.com/141/

I think that if we are able to secure those tools under our belts we're well on our way to publishing nirvana. What do you think? Any other tricks?

I'm in awe at the level of support that members of this community give to each other. The positive vibes in this forum make it a perfect environment for anyone who has ambitions in the sci-fi field. You guys and girls make writing a team sport.

I am a beginning writer myself. Nothing published yet. I have started, however, to come out of my shell and put my stuff out there. As part of my publishing plans I created a website for my story titled Strangers in the Afternoon. The story is about a 6 year old with a temper and a bunch of grasshoppers that keep popping up everywhere. Would you like to check it out? Then visit my site at: http://www3.telus.net/nr32/strangers/index.html

I'm almost embarassed about putting my stuff online for people to see. But insecurity comes with the territory doesn't it? Sooner or later I have to put it out there, so I might as well start now.

I hope you enjoy reading it and please let me know if you like or not. And if you have the time then drop me line.

Cheers,
Manuel