4.20: Sacrifice

Tabitha

Save Angel!
We left the last episode with the gang all being shown the light and realising that Jasmine was evil. All that is, except for Connor, who ratted them out as soon as he had the chance.

And that's exactly where we come in. Angel proceeds to beat Connor to a pulp as the rest of Angel, Inc make a getaway.

Angel joins them, and after not long the Angelmobile is running out of gas - time to brave the public place of a service station. It is at this point that we see a whole new power of Jasmine's - ventriloquism! LOL
I loved Angel's reaction to it "Okaaay..."

Realising that they aren't going to make it out of Jasmine's sphere of influence they go underground, and run across a crew of kids hiding from the badness of blacked-out LA (they don't realise the lights are back on topside). The kids have been doing their best to look out for one another, but recently some evil beastie moved in and has been picking them off.
Angel and co remember that they are "professional monster hunters" and set off to take the beastie out. It attacks, makes off with Wes, and leaves the gang in an awkward position when one of the kids realises Angel is a vampire, freaks out and makes a run for the surface. Fred and Gunn go after the kid, while Angel and Lorne try to explain to the rest of the kids that they aren't evil. I liked Angel's menacing bit, haven't seen that side of him for a while, so it was nice to be reminded why I liked the show in the first place (i.e. DB's "Batman" impersonation ;) ).

Meanwhile Wes is getting to know the beastie - and you'll never guess what... he knows a whole lot of useful and interesting stuff about Jasmine, and offers up the vital information on how to go about sorting her out.

Angel kills beastie/Wes figures out how to get more info/Gunn and Fred go back to their pre-Jasmine bitching about killing the prof while retrieving the kid/Jasmine eats more people, heals Connor and sends him after our heroes.

Oh yeah, and in between all this Cordy is disappeared by Jasmine (she better not have eaten her mother - that's just gross) and for a fleeting moment I think that Connor is cleverer than all of us, fooling both Jasmine AND Angel Inc into thinking he is still devoted, while looking for a weakness of hers to exploit. But no... All he does is give Jasmine 'his pain'.

I wonder is she some god of S&M? The next to final shot of her experiencing the wounds of the gang and connor (and some other national guard types) was pretty disturbing to me.

So, that's what happened in the ep, I think I'll come back later and tell you a bit more of what I thought of it.

This is what I wrote before I jumped in here --

so - haven't read Tabitha's post yet -

Angel Inc is running from Jasmine's people. Connor's still under her control and, apparently, doesn’t want to leave. Wesley finds out something important…

Not a bad episode – moved pretty fast, lots of action and not too much Jasmine stuff (which is good – too much of her fake sugary sweetness and I wanna hurl). There's a big nasty in the sewers that snags Wes, but he, with his research-iness and questioning acquires some useful information – though he's being kicked around a bit – they need the 'devourer's' name – her true name.

There was a nice little dicussion btwn the 4-legged bug thing and Wes – the bug told him that ppl on Earth lose so much of their power b/c they're always giving out their names. Wes says it doesn't work that way on Earth – erm – how does he know? How does he know that revelation of his name doesn't suck away some of his power? B/c knowing something's 'true name' gives one power over that something (well, okay – so I'm takin' this from the Dresden Files – but I think it's kinda standard in most 'magic' circles (bad pun) ) --- anyway – Wes needs Jasmine's true name to stop her – however – there's kind of a catch – only the bug priests know the name, and they're in the bug's world, but Wes and other humans can't go there – only Angel – so, well, he does –

Jasmine – she's sent Cordy somewhere… we don't know where. Connor's a bit upset, but not upset enough to break free from Jasmine's influence (thought he might for about a half a second, but somehow knew he wouldn't – he's a dork).

Oh – for the record – stupid promos from last week made it look like Angel was gonna be trying to 'save' Cordy – that ain't what happened – I hate the promos – it's why I stopped watchin' 'em – they make no sense –

Overall – pretty decent episode. Although, I'm getting kinda tired of the episodes that end w/o 'ending' – all cliff-hangery – enough already – end an ep at the end of the ep!

Wow this was a creepy ep. That bug monster thingy (is it just me or did he remind anyone else of The Master???) Jasmine controling everyone and talking though them, the thing with Connor and "his pain", all of it was just insane!

Was I the only sicko who was amused by the vampire talking to the bug monster while it was playing with his guts and the monster being all confused why he wasn't dead?

Yes -- I forgot to mention that-- I totally got a 'Master' vibe from that bug thing ---

very very strange ---

I liked the bug thing - it was really cool. And yeah a bit like the Master, but strangely it also reminded me of Yoda - I think the way it was speaking -''why won't you go dead?" I think that might just be me though...don't envy Angel in its world though, looks a bit icky. the creepiest bit of the ep though was that wee boy laughing with Jasmine's voice.

Really, really didn't like the creature thing, and yeah, reminded me of a cross between the master and that green praying mantis thing in Star Wars. Ick.

Loved Angel's last line: "Oh Hell." Very nice touch. 'Cause it looks pretty hellish to me! The whole Jasmine-experiencing-the-same-cuts-as-her-minions thing was a little disturbing as well particularly as she was laughing all the way through.

It was nice to see that the gang are trying to get back to normal, even with the whole Jasmine thing still going on - fighting monsters, Fred and Gunn squabbling, Angel and Wes friends again. Bless 'em. :D

However, the rest of the episode, not so nice. The bug demon thing was scary, and the 'ventriloquism' thing was entirely creepy. Also, I think Tabitha is right about Jasmine being into S&M - how the people have to be naked before she kills them, laughing as she bleeds, getting off on Connor's pain, and practically coming on to Connor then calling him "Father"! Major squick factor! :dead:

Now there are only 2 questions I want answered before the end of the season - when is Cordelia going to return to the land of the living, and when is Jasmine going to eat Connor and do us all a favour?! ;)

Originally posted by little smaug
When is Jasmine going to eat Connor and do us all a favour?! ;)

No! How can you say that?! I quite like Connor! He's pretty handy to have around sometimes :D

Hahaha!! Maybe they'll give him some better storylines in the future, let him develop more of a character! If he survives of course... All you higher beings with knowledge of following eps are smiling at us now. :rolly2:

Oh I did like this episode and the vampire talking while his guts were being played with made me laugh, I dunno what that says about me:) LOL Umm ok the kid with the Jasmine laughing was creepy but I did like the fact Wesley actually had something to do in this one more to his researchy side I enjoyed his convo with the bug thing.

Yeah, it's good to see Wes getting back to being research guy again. I always preferred his character in seasons 1&2. :D

I couldn't decide about the vampire with his guts hanging out. It was kinda funny, but a little too cartoon-y for the feel of the episode. And how come the vamp wasn't screaming in pain, anyway? :rolleyes:

All his nerve endings had been pulled away I dunno LOL

ANd bookish wesley is cute