H G Wells

polymorphikos

Scrofulous Fig-Merchant
In spite of the variable results of trying to film his works (the laughable remake of the Time Machine and the War of the Worlds films spring to mind), Wells as an author was a ridiculously-talented one who usually managed to avoid too-much dryness of prose and had a knack for fleshing-out clever theories against backdrops that would keep less-literary readers riveted.

So what are your opinions on his work? (For myself, I love The Crystal Egg).

While his ideas have been great (some of the premise behind War of the Worlds - they form, and how they were defeated) are great, I found his writing style to be a bit rubbish, if I may be so bold. :)

Constantly War of the Worlds distracts to:

"Meanwhile, my brother..."

and then carries the narration to describe what his entirely faceless, character-free, and utterly meaningless brother was doing.

Or so is my rather old memory of that book. :)

My view on Welles is akin to Brian's - his prose and narrative is such rubbish, that even his marvellous ideas could not salvage. I've only read two of his books, The Invisible Man and The War of the Worlds and from a purely literary stand-point, the latter is the worst of the two.

Whoa, pardon me but I just love Wells and the last thing I'd consider him is a bad writer. On the contrary he had IMO th power to turn campy ideas like WoTW's alien invasion into an etertaining ride with his vivid, yet concise descriptive style. The bleakly humorous scenes with the cowardly preacher were in themselves worth the price of admission for me. I will concede that he has WoTW is one of his lesser efforts.

Island of Dr. Moreau is one of my favorite books and I also like The Invisible Man a good deal. Wells also wrote a number of champion short stories many of which would fall more in the pulp horror bracket than the Sf label he is saddled with.

Heh, I knew I was being contentious. :)

War of the World's is the only HG Wells I remember reading, and I felt I should rather have kep to Jeff Wayne. ;)

More seriously, if War of the World's was one of his weaker narratives then hopefully that bodes well for other works - though issues of style aren't necessary a great criticism of great authorship. HP Lovecraft is often criticised over form, rather than substance, but he's still immesely popular - and I recently read a preface to George Orwell's "1984" that substantially criticised his actual literary talents. Both authors are favourites of mine so literary criticism of their styles washes little with myself. Et tu for Wells, no doubt. :)

One of the cool things about Wells and some other writers is they never allowed themselves to be defined by genre, and likely it never even occurred to them to only potter in one area. Wells fluently wrote in disinct spheres of SF, horror, social satire and even a good amount of non-fiction.

Currently reading First men on the moon and I sould say this is by far the worst thing I've read by him. The science is all slapdash and the writing is not too far off.

I absolutely LOVE HG Wells and consider War Of The Worlds one of his finest. I think when you read him, you have to take into account the writing styles of his period. The Invisible Man is quite brutal in places and still relevant in many ways today as our society becomes ever more brutal.

On the film front, I found the Rod taylor version of the Time Machine to be excellent and it begs the question: why remake it at all?
One of his lesser known works (of which he wrote the screenplay) is Things To Come. It's available on DVD (if you can find it). It is another thought provoking and somewhat prophetic work.

HG Wells? I can't get enough of him :D

Wells and When Writers Should Shut Up

I went through a phase when I was reading basically only H. G. Wells. I read every single one of his published short stories, The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, In the Days of the Comet, and so on. I remember liking his work, but I actually did find some of it a bit too dry at moments. It may be an unfair criticism since modern readers' taste in style has altered since Wells's days.

I think he is an important writer, regardless, and he had some incredibly potent images of science and the future. Wells is even credited for the invention of the Ironclad or the tank.

Seeing that there is a thread about Wells, gives me a second chance to take part in the discussion over when an author should keep his/her mouth shut. I think it isn't so much that authors dare lace their works with social or political commentary that irritates us, but it is when they do it badly or separate from artistic ventures. No one likes to be lectured to, but people love to be entertained and feel that they have got a better understanding of the world afterwards.

Before, the conversation centered on Bradbury's blatant lecturing on politics. It is unfair to claim that he should stay out of politics. Read his works. Social and political commentary is the backbone of many of his published life. Works such as Fahrenheit 451 directly attacked abuses in censorship and the apathy of society. The said book has received brilliant reviews over the years. Bradbury's views only became unbearable when he didn't even bother writing about it. Instead, he lectured to the public with the arrogance of an armchair spectator, and the public, naturally, rejected it.

H.G. Wells is a perfect example of an author who delivered social commentary with varying success. His work, The Time Machine, is still hailed as an example of excellent literature. The central thesis of the novel is attacking the rigid economic class separation between the "haves" and the "have nots" created by a Capitalist society. Critics loved the book even more for it. His novel, In the Days of the Comet, has not met such supportive criticism, however. The book's thesis is akin to that of The Time Machine, yet critics often site the obvious social message as the fault of the book. Why? I believe it is not the message itself that bothers the critics (for they praised it in The Time Machine), but, rather, the critics are disappointed that the story itself isn't well written or engaging. The novel falls back on lecturing more than it should.

In the end, audiences don't mind hearing social or political ideas from authors as long as they are being entertained in the process.

Last edited:
Re: Wells and When Writers Should Shut Up

A note on the man's style:

Whilst it becomes tedious in some of his writing, I actuall think that Wells' style of prose works for him. If you read The War of the Worlds (and I will admit that i didn't enjoy the bit with his brother) then everything asumes a darker, more terrible aspect because of how he describes things. Baroque might be the word. I found the part where the fighting machines are deploying the poison gas across the fields putside London especially memorable. But I suppose I have a broad tolerance of styke, and will read anything if it flows a bit and keeps me interested.

I probably did enjoy most of War of the World, but the "My brother..." sections were such a brake on the entire narrative that it spoiled it for myself when younger. Maybe I should revisit, though...

I remember coming to War of the World via Jeff Wayne's (pretty excellent) musical, and thinking the description of the first alien coming out from the cannister sounded so Lovecraft-esque that it must surely have been a modern reinvention. It was possibly a reason for chasing the book down. Anyway, was very impressed that it was an original Well's description - definitely a sign of a far-seeing author.

I just read The Country of the Blind yesterday, and I must say that i found it excellent and moving until the last bit. Then all of a sudden it changes tact and Nunez runs away. The ending still has something to it - the absolute value of sight - but I guess I'm a bit of a romantic and I was hoping for a nice ironic twist. It makes a great point though, and I really enjoyed it.

One thing is poly, in Wells' time, there was probably not much appreciation for stories that had really bleak/bizarre endings, so you tended to have last-minute cop-out escapes, waking up from bad dreams etc. I've seen this happening in the work of many horror authors of that period.

'The Island of Doctor Moreau' is my favourite Wells tale. It has this really nightmarish quality at its best. I thought that 'In the country of the blind' was a brilliant examination of the old adage about one-eyed men. While most credit Shelley's Frankenstein with being the earliest work of modern sf in some ways, Wells set the pace for so much of the genre - from the blithe gadget or concept based stories to the more serious thoughts and misgivings about human civilization contained in stories like 'The Time Machine'.

After my initial misgiving about First Men in the Moon, I find it, even if not on par with the accepted Wells classics, a smashing good old-school adventure yarn.

Wells' description of the lunar environment and life - about the rapid life cycles of flora to deal with the extremes of weather, the sheltered rearing of moon-calves which serve as food source - even if not scientifically plausible is atleast appreciable for its imaginative quality. The description of the society of moon beings - called Selenites - makes for VERY engrossing reading. The human-insect hybrid look of the denizens, their complex architecture, their rigid social structure are laid out in eye-holding detail. Wells makes pointed reference to eugenics and selective breeding practcies when he talks about the rearing of young Selenites to precisely fit the tasks for which they are chosen. I give a link to the kind of description that Wells gives of the Selenite practices, please read through.

Link to Selenites upbringing description
Wells also scores in the characterization of his protagonists. Bedford, the 'practical' half of the expedition is a credible mixture of greed, courage, selfishness and resourcefulness that renders him a truly gray-shaded character without the burden of self-consciousness that more modern anti-heroes carry.

On the whole, if you can ignore the jerky unconvincing way the book starts out, you will find here a nice little gem, better IMO than War of the Worlds, not as good as Island of Dr. Moreau.

Has anyone read "When the Sleeper Awakes"? I haven't read any H.G. Wells before and was looking at the premise of this book and thought it sounded interesting. Is it a good book? Is it a good place to start with Wells?

The Time Machine is a masterpiece of SF that i think its the best place to start. Not only the quality, but also it shows what kind of writer Wells was.

I dont know anything about When the Sleeper Awakes but the synopsis makes it sound good. You should always still go by which synopsis that pique your interest.

Last edited:
The Time Machineis a masterpiece of SF that i think its the best place to start. Not only the quality, but also it shows what kind of writer Wells was.

I dont know anything about When the Sleeper Awakes but the synopsis makes it sound good. You should always still go by which synopsis that pique your interest.
Well, that's the thing. The synopsis of the more famous ones haven't piqued my interest as much as this one did.

Basically, Waterstones still have 3 for 2 on all "classics" so I'm considering which three would be good to get. Along with an H.G. Wells, I'm also considering Algernon Blackwood's "Ancient Soceries & Other stories" and C.R. Maturin's "Melmoth the Wanderer".

I just found this thread, thanks to Fried Egg's revival I belive, and reading the first posts I'm horrified! Such heresy and disrespect for such a defining author! The only Wells I've read is The First Men in the Moon and a story I believe was called The Land Ironclads but even so where would modern fiction be without Mr Wells!

Well, that's the thing. The synopsis of the more famous ones haven't piqued my interest as much as this one did.

Basically, Waterstones still have 3 for 2 on all "classics" so I'm considering which three would be good to get. Along with an H.G. Wells, I'm also considering Algernon Blackwood's "Ancient Soceries & Other stories" and C.R. Maturin's "Melmoth the Wanderer".

Then go with Sleeper Awakens. It does sound a bit like The Time Machine too.

Heh i'm still waiting for my library reserved copy of Blackwood's Ancient Sorceries and Other Stories.

Let me know how you like Melmoth the Wanderer, i have heard alot about it.