7.10: Birthright

I think ...

I think part of what we're seeing is partly due to the new 'Jack-Lite' situation and partly, like with every episode, there's always a lot more info shot and some of it ends up on the cutting room floor - so what may have made sense to the script writers and directors doesn't come out completely in the end product. I know the small out-take that's up on the Sci-Fi site between Sam and janet adds a dimension to the show that I didn't have before.

I always wonder just what snippets are sacrifices to make things fit 44 min - 43 sec and some ...

Rowan

Yes, it would be very interesting to see actually what was dumped.

The studio said they would never release a blooper tape, but I wonderif they will ever do a "Deleted Scenes" DVD special or something ?

Hmmm, this episode was okay, but I came to the realisation while watching it that SG1 has lost the magic for me.

It seems as if everyone is on autopilot, and all the problems and issues the team run into are depressingly familiar to anyone who has been watching since the beginning.
Where are the new arcs and new directions? Every episode this season has felt like filler to me. All they need to do is stick in an ep about the NID getting their hands on some alien tech and using it for some immoral activity, a story in which SG1 save the Asgard and/or Earth from Replicators, a mission to sabotage a system lord - inevitably including a capture of one of sg1, and a clip show with some political intrigue. Then we will have an entire season that feels like someone has cut n pasted bits of previous seasons together and not managed to move the big picture forward in the slightest.

Blalock was infinitely more watchable in this episode than in any Enterprise I have caught her in. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing her becoming a recurring character on the show - there is grerat scope for further storylines based around integrating her female jaffa into the ranks of the rebellion.

I almost wish Jack hadn't been in this episode, his 'witty' comments were excruciating this week, and his reaction to the whole situation didn't seem in character at all.

I would like to have heard or seen more about how these women really fitted into Jaffa culture. This is what comments from the production staff led us to believe we would be seeing. I think for a society like that of the Jaffa sexism would be something that would be very likely, even if this is not the impression that Teal'c gave us when he spoke of women's place in Jaffa culture. I look forward to seeing how other rebel leaders might react to integrating these female warriors into the resistance.

well, hmm. Just wanted on squinty vision. I hope they discover that if a Jaffa has never had a real symbiot & just take the Tretonon, eventually they don't even need the Tretonon & thus the younger generations escape the dependence all together...wishful thinking on my part I'm sure there's thousands of flaws...

Originally posted by skoon
well, hmm. Just wanted on squinty vision. I hope they discover that if a Jaffa has never had a real symbiot & just take the Tretonon, eventually they don't even need the Tretonon & thus the younger generations escape the dependence all together...wishful thinking on my part I'm sure there's thousands of flaws...
That's a really great idea skoon. Just think of the possibilities for the system lord storylines.

I liked this one, and I agree about CJ and his penchant for Jaffa based stories and ideas, but the 'B-story' about the girl, her sister and Daniel wasn't up to scratch.

It was about time that he did get a girlfriend. I was just surprised that they had yet another Star Trek actor/actress in Stargate. Aren't there any other actors/actresses to use?

I was also surprised at some of Jack's comments (email and penis). Not only was he not particularly 'quippy' in this episode, but the situation was meant to be quite tense and he should have been more diplomatic in earshot of the 'warrior women'.

Someone briefly mentioned that taking the Tretonin would lead them to become dependent on the Tauri rather than the Goa'uld. It was a throw-away line, but I think it was a good point. If the SGC can't supply enough Tretonin they will all die.

Can anyone tell me where the SGC gets Tretonin? It was originally from the Pangrans, but the Tok'ra make it too. Can the SGC make it's own? If I was one of the female Jaffa I would want the ability to manufacture Tretonin, before I even considered depending upon it.

the one huge honkin plot hole is that tretonin comes from goaulds...so do symbiotes. so they're still needing the same thing, just in a different form.

the one big difference is that symbiotes sort of co-exist...but to get tretonin you have to murder sentient beings to get it (yes, they're baddies, but they are sentient...it'd be like involuntarily taking organs from folks to ensure that others live)

what i can't get is...obviously technology on earth exists to clone snakes (we saw it in nightwalkers)...so why not find a way to clone some of egeria's blank slate snakes (yes, technically they're still sentient creatures, but not really. as we saw, egeria was able to make brainless snakes) to give to the jaffa?

there is no perfect solution in this, some still have to die so that others can live...it still boils down to jaffa existing on the deaths of other creatures (even jsut using the symbiotes in the traditional way...what do they do with the mature ones? I seriously doubt they just hand em over to take hosts...i imagine that they're murdered as soon as they reach adulthood)

but at least if htey were using and murdering the brainless ones it woudl be a little less...predatory?

Or rather than a plot hole maybe it is something which will be dealt with in a future episode. Maybe those questions were left open for a reason.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Book Discussion 0