7.10: Birthright

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
Birthright

BIG SPOILERS
From Gateworld
SG-1 gates to a world populated by female Jaffa. (Think Amazon warrior women.) These women are in hiding from a Goa'uld named Moloc. Moloc has declared that all female Jaffa babies must be killed and only the males raised. In an effort to save they baby girls, Ishta, a temple priestess, and her handmaidens have been spiriting the girls off-world instead of offing them.

"The problem? When the girls reach puberty they require a symbiote to act at their immune system, and the only way they can get them is by killing other Jaffa. The women have been conducting raids against Moloc's male Jaffa to get the symbiotes they need. SG-1 offers them another solution in the form of tretonin. Ishta jumps at the offer, but not all of her women are as eager to try the new drug or trust in strangers, and a power struggle ensues.

"Teal'c gets to have a bit of romance with Ishta, and Sam gets to take the lead because these female Jaffa are highly suspicious of male warriors."

Guest charaacters include Ishta, Mala, Neith and Nesa -- likely all Jaffa women.

"Birthright" sounds like a development of a story Judge was working on last year, which he mentioned to fans at a convention as dealing with Jaffa women and Amazon mythos. He is reported to have said at the time that the episode could make room for the return of actress Musetta Vander ("Shau'nac" in Season Four's "Crossroads"), perhaps as a twin to her late sister. (This idea may have been scrapped, as Vander later appeared in "The Changeling" and the role of Ishta apparently has yet to be cast.)

This is written by Christopher Judge

and from SG1_Spoilme

BIRTHRIGHT
written by Christopher Judge

The team ends up on a planet and run into a bunch of female Amazonian type
warriors who take them to their village. Teal'c recognizes that the younger
females have the mark of the Gou'ald Moloc.

Soon the men on SG-1 find themselves on the outs as the women will only talk
to Carter. Moloc only wanted the young males to survive, to groom them into
Jaffa; female babies were immediately sacrificed in a gruesome manner to
appease their god. So, men are not looked upon very highly in this tribe. The
women instead steal the female children away to raise as warriors but their
numbers are dwindling. Carter offers them an alternative to relying on the
Gou'ald. aka Tretonin.

While Daniel gets on the wrong side of one of the warrior women, Teal'c
definitely does not. Fraiser goes off-world to help with the Tretonin, and
the treatment doesn't go as planned, which results in power struggles within
the clan.

Characters: Ishta (a gorgeous warrior priestess type, leader of her clan);
Neith (another female warrior, doesn't trust men, has a sister named Nesa);
Nesa (Neith's sister, young, trusting); Mala (another female warrior type).

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the information.
For more information look to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme for more info.

All I have to say is if this ep is as good as Changling (also written by CJ) then were in for a treat :D

hmm, I guess they really haven't delte with too many female Jaffa...why is it none of the G. seem to ever have any female Jaffa working for them other than priestesses?

7.10: Birthrite

Spoilers cor this episode can be found at "Birthrite"

My thanks to SG-1 Solutions for the link.

Rowan

SPOILERS
"Chris [Judge] has already written his script. Robert [Cooper] did a polish on it and we are proceeding to casting. The episode is called 'Birthright.'" (GateWorld online chat with executive producer Joseph Mallozzi)

Will the loss of Teal'c's symbiote ("The Changeling") and its consequences be addressed in Season Seven? "Yes, it will be addressed -- specifically in an episode shooting right now, written by Peter DeLuise, called 'Orpheus.' Also, check out 'Birthright' for more on this." (GateWorld online chat with executive producer Joseph Mallozzi)

"For [a] specific spotlight performance, check out ... Chris Judge in 'Birthright.'" (Our Stargate online chat with executive producer Joseph Mallozzi)

"'Birthright' explores the Jaffa culture -- particularly the role of women within said culture." (Our Stargate online chat with executive producer Joseph Mallozzi)

Will Teal'c get a girlfriend? "Check out Season Seven's 'Birthright' for the answer to that one." (Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at GateWorld Forums)

Guest characters for this episode include Ishta, Mala, Neith, Nesa, Lay'Al, Warriors, Ryk'l, Jaffa and Nurse.

"SG-1 gates to a world populated by female Jaffa. (Think Amazon warrior women.) These women are in hiding from a Goa'uld named Moloc. Moloc has declared that all female Jaffa babies must be killed and only the males raised. In an effort to save they baby girls, Ishta, a temple priestess, and her handmaidens have been spiriting the girls off-world instead of offing them.
"The problem? When the girls reach puberty they require a symbiote to act at their immune system, and the only way they can get them is by killing other Jaffa. The women have been conducting raids against Moloc's male Jaffa to get the symbiotes they need. SG-1 offers them another solution in the form of tretonin. Ishta jumps at the offer, but not all of her women are as eager to try the new drug or trust in strangers, and a power struggle ensues.

"Teal'c gets to have a bit of romance with Ishta, and Sam gets to take the lead because these female Jaffa are highly suspicious of male warriors." (GateWorld news report)

"Unlike, for instance, on Chulak, when a youngster comes of age they're given a symbiote, the women who fall under the hold of this Goa'uld, fall under a rule of a birthright that all firstborn females are killed. So what they do is they rescue all these firstborn females and they've created, in a sense, almost like a fifth column of Jaffa, sort of a female Jaffa sect. And they cross paths with SG-1." (Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in an interview with the Stargate SG-1 Explorer Unit)

Thanx to Gateworld for the info for more info look to www.gateworld.net

There are some pics of this ep up at the same site
.....check em out

:D

Cool episode. It's not as good as "hay day" episodes, but what is these days? It was a good 3/5 star episode from what I can ascertain on first viewing.
Some potential for follow-up, but not much IMO. It was a mildly interesting idea, but if we see these people again it better be part of another plot or something.

PS: What is tha new gun Sam has had in Avenger and this? I have never seen anything like it. Anyone on here know what is is/have some info?

New weapon ...

PS: What is tha new gun Sam has had in Avenger and this? I have never seen anything like it. Anyone on here know what is is/have some info? [/B]

One of the Navy's new 'CQB' units for shipboard use - or so husband tells me. He's much more up on the firearms aspect than I am right now. I don't remember what he told me and he's gone for the weekend, but I'll ask him Monday.

Rowan

Hmm, maybe it's a modification of a already-existing weapon, like the MP5-PDW designed for tank operators.

Sort of weird that she is using it though. I liked the P-90s better...it's practical that a SG unit would be using P-90s.

It is an exhisting weapon, I just can't remember the make and model right now.

It seems like the SGC wants to be right on top of what's new and current in the rest of the military right now. ;)

Rowan

i also seem to recall hearing that they're not using the p90's as much because real soldiers need the magazines. truth or rumor? who knows.

all in all, i enjoyed this eps. there was a little something in there for everyone. all the characters got to come out and play,some lovely angst and moral dilemmas.

if t'pol was more like ishta, i might stil be watching enterprise. :)

for me, this was one of the more enjoyable eps of s7. I hope it's the beginning of a good run and not just a blip on the radar.

and i hope they give CJ the pen again in s8. He can write some good scripts/come up with good script ideas

How could "real" soldiers need the mags? I am sure they don't use many in the show (they obviously fire blanks) and does the US even use the P-90 at all?

it is a real military gun, and the guns that they use on the show are real ones, not props.

Like i said, all i know is what i heard, accurate or not? dunno.

it was one explanation given for them apparently abandoning the p90 for this season and using different weapons

Anyone else get the feeling of shades of the old Daniel in this episode?

I loved the scene where he was sitting with the little girl. It was so adorable. Old caring Daniel. One of his best scenes this season.

The episode was great, I really enjoy the story. A very entertaining episode.

Krystal :cool:

I really enjoyed this episode. While I think Jack's scenes could have been better written, the other characters were very well portrayed.

I think my favorites parts were Daniel's. Especially when he was sitting with that little girl, and he was trying to get her to talk to him. It did remind me a lot of our old Danny. MS works well with kids, I wish we had gotten to see more of that interaction.

I liked Ishta, even though at first I was afraid of how she was going to be played. The only real problem I had with her character was how unemotional she seemed. While she did have some fire during the fight scenes, most of the time she seemed strangely unmoved. At least her eyes didn't give much clue to her emotions. Jolene and Christopher did go well together. They had some great chemistry. I hope we get to see that relationship brought up again in future eps.

This episode was defiantly better than (I hate to say) "****" that's been shoved down our throats lately.

The "send us an e-mail" line By Jack was a bit over the top in my opinion. It seems like they or RDA is trying to hard reinforce that crazy quippy Jack attitude that we have grown to enjoy so much.

I liked this one too -

Daniel seemed like 'Daniel' again and the others were well done -

And please please please let CJ write more episodes! PLEASE! I've almost gotten to the point where I jump up and down if I see that he's written it (I know he's only done 2) -- he just does so well and the stories are interesting --- (way better than the "Teal'c" episodes that the other writers came up with - "Bloodlines"? please) ---

Jack - yeah - Jack was - 'not quite right' - but I dunno --- can he just please be IN an episode once or twice this season? I know RDA wants to be with his family - but his wacko schedule is mucking up the already mostly mucked up chemistry of the team. I love the man to death, but we need some Jack stuff in these episodes or the season is REALLY gonna suck.

*sigh* oh well - this ep was really good ----

I was watching on squinty vision so it took me a while to spot Jolene Blalock, it was her voice that clinched it for me.

I agree with the earlier post - if T'pol was a bit more like this Enterprise would be more entertaining !!!

Not a bad ep, only thing that bothered me was that initially Ishtar was dissing Teal'c for not telling them he had lost him symbiote and was using the Tretonin (sp?) next minute she's all over him like a rash and telling everyone how great he/the drug is. What was that all about - apologies if I've misunderstood that by the way - again with the squinty vision!!! sometimes miss things

Diff.

Yep. Long blond hair vrs. short black hair. It took the voice to really make the connection.

Row

Personally, I was fairly unimpressed with this episode.

Granted, the Teal'c based episodes are amongst the best of all, but this one would rate fairly low in the scale.

Sorry, it just didn't click for me.

And I certainly didn't understand the Jack "attitude" and comments like the email and penis comments. Was jack added to that episode the fill an empty space in the background ???? he certainly wasn't useful in it. And that's quite dissapointing for me being a Jack fan.

And what was with the big pash at the end.... I just get the feeling that the writers tried to do something different and play things out of character.... which totally didn't work for me.

But then, I seem to be liking the opposite of most people with the season 7 eps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Book Discussion 0