4.16: Players

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
The A-plot - Angel and friends are trying to sort out what Angel saw / learned / knew as Angelus.

The B-plot - Gwen needs the suave Gunn to help her save a little girl.

(okay - having some issues finding the ep title - if this is wrong, I'll fix it - stupid internet)

Okay - this episode was pretty good -- (not as good as BtVS's "Lies My Parents Told Me" -but good) -

Connor's snit was annoying - but maybe he doesn't believe all the garbage not-Cordy's been feeding him --- maybe -

Loved Marlboro Man's translations of Angel's remembered text! LOL!! (and yeah - I said I was gonna call him that from now on - and I am!) - 'I am not a buckethead.' -- and 'something about strangling poultry' - excellent ad-libs! Funnier - Cordy bought it!

Angel Inc gang in Angel Inc style -- about time, btw - I was wondering how long it was gonna take them to catch on! Ack!

And was Lorne smooth or what? With the ritual and the candles and the singing and the MAGIC 8 BALL!!! :D

Gwen - she lied to Gunn and got him to help her out - and she wanted to swipe this doo-dad for herself - she's tired of being a freak? (her word) - guess she might be - so, she gonna stop being a thief? Or is she gonna use the gadget to play in the 'real world' but take it off to 'work'??

Marlboro Man and Fred's little chat about Lilah -- he kinda smacked her with the 'abandoned by the ppl you care about' - which, ya know - I'm on his side on this - yeah, okay - he screwed up, but he's not the first, everyone else has too - and I thought Angel was about 'saving souls' - Angel's said that - so, why didn't Angel try to save Marlboro Man's?? (this has recently been bugging me - ever since I went back and watched all the previous eps) -

I am definitely more interested in new eps of Angel than BTVS, not really sure why, because in terms of single episodes I am enjoying Buffy more. I guess it's because I know Buffy is ending, but there is still a feeling that Angel might be setting stuff up for next season (more on my ideas about that, and David Greenwalt's latest quotes on S5 in another thread).

I was the cheering section for Gunn this week - he really tore up the screen and was more Bond than Bond, He seems to have gelled so naturally with Gwen it makes me wonder what on Earth he was ever doing playing the soppy eejit with Fred.

When Angel announced that Angelus didn't kill Lilah, i thought for one heart-stopping moment that she was actually still alive! Duh me :rolleyes:
I enjoyed how Angel spoke about Angelus' actions - it certainly seemed as if he has finally been able to totally dissociate himself with that persona, exorcised some demons, so to speak.

I kind of saw the cliffhanger ending coming a mile off, but it was still satisfying, I wish Connor had been one of the people in on the 'bust' though, and that the writers would side-step the device of having Connor fight to protect his 'child' against everyone else. I had hoped that he was clever enough to see through Evil-Cordelia's deception - we got hints of it, but still he was following her lead.

Another thing I worried about was that Lorne might actually have died! I am not totally spoilered up re: casting, and I had horrible flashbacks to Amber Benson's ONE appearance in the Buffy credits last season...
Thank goodness my worst fears weren't realised!

Anyhow, good show.

Gunn and Gwen - that was so right - he should be with a strong woman like that not wimpy little Fred. I have nothing against Fred but she needs to be Wesley's girl (or Willows ?!?!), not Gunn's

Loved the magic 8 ball at the end - so when exactly did they work it out and was Lorne's little thing about the ceremony and robe etc purely for Cordy's benefit to trick her into showing her true colours ?

Lastly, and this is a reference maybe only UK viewers will get, but in this ep, I am thinking Cordy with the fatter face and oh so manipulative ways - I kept thinking - this is Janine from EastEnders - you know what a totally manipulatuive bitch she can be. Might just be me thinking it but I thought I'd share!

Originally posted by Brit Chick

Lastly, and this is a reference maybe only UK viewers will get, but in this ep, I am thinking Cordy with the fatter face and oh so manipulative ways - I kept thinking - this is Janine from EastEnders - you know what a totally manipulatuive bitch she can be. Might just be me thinking it but I thought I'd share!

Totally - especially the frustration at the fact that its so obvious that they are being completely two faced and none of the other characters seems to catch on - except thankfully they have now. Wonder what Cordy's going to pull now!!! By the way, Gwen is a great character and that she gets to hang around for a while now but a bit disappointed that she's getting it on with Gunn, I kind of had her matched up with Angel - an electrifying combination!

Yeah I kinda liked this one...it seemed to be a bit of a filler episode I thought.

Im soooo glad that Lorne was not going to be killed I really like him...he makes me laugh! :D

Oh and how great is Gwen...I really like her too she kinda reminds me of Faith and I think her and Gunn are great together...more of that please!

Roll on next week :rolly2:

Ooh, how yummy did Gunn look in that suit? :naughty: And I liked the little thing he did with his tie after beating up the bad guys, very 007. :p

But I thought the whole sub-plot with him and Gwen was kinda boring, and Gwen really annoys me for some reason. Plus, I want to know why Gunn slept with her. Does he really like her, or is this his way of getting back at Fred for kissing Wes?

I have to admit, I didn't see that ending coming. I thought that Lorne was going to hit one of his really high notes, and Cordy would scream and give herself away. But that end was awesome! Wes and Fred with the guns, and Lorne's "Has Cordy been a naughty girl?" And the magic 8 ball was a great touch. :D

Can't wait for next week now - will Cordy reveal her evil self, or will she try for the "I was possessed, it wasn't me" vote?