Anyone remember Marine Boy?

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
This was a Japanese anime cartoon made by Seven Arts Productions. It was originally shown on BBC1 from 1969 to 1970, but I'm sure it was repeated many times later, only not for at least 20 years!

It was the adventures of a boy who rode on the back of a white dolphin called Splasher. He fought monsters and evil villains and was helped by a mermaid called Neptina. He chewed 'Oxygum' so that he could breath underwater without coming to the surface.

From this website I found out that there were many more episodes than were ever shown in the UK. http://www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/marine.htm
and that it Japan he was known as Kaitei Shonen Marien (Marine The Sea Bottom Boy).

He worked for the Ocean Patrol Headquarters under the sea, responsible for making the oceans of the world safe. The main patrol boat was the P1, led by Marine Boy and his 2 crew members Piper (the skinny one) and Bolton (fatter with a deeper voice). The sub fired torpedoes and had a chute underneath where Marine Boy would swim in and out. Like all ocean patrol recruits, they wore red berets as part of their uniform. The entire operation was run by Dr Mariner who was Marine Boy’s father, with the help of Professor Fumble (has a huge nose) who comes up with fabulous inventions to help Marine Boy defeat his foes.

:mad: sorry, but I'm sure that brings back memories for some people. It's from way back in my childhood like Star Trek, The Double Deckers and the Wacky Races.

Ye gads, groping in the dark ages. I remember Marine Boy (but I would ;)).

Preferred Catch the Pigeon to Wacky Races though

You should try to see it Vanessa. If you thought that Anime was just invented in the 1980's you'll see that it has the same style, the same eyes and same Michael Jackson noses as the modern Anime. It was much more strikingly different then than now. The only other cartoons that we got then were Disney, Loony Tunes and Hanna-Barbara and the quality compared to Hanna-Barbara stood out. It also was action and scifi, if a little childish, I guess!

I shall look stuff up on this anime..
er you ever here of moon dreamers i don't know if it was anime but i remember it. it was from long ago also there was a girl with long blonde hair & creatures living in it it was cool ^^ i forget the name though

heh yup that sure is moon dreamers i remember lots of odd shows like that from when i was a kid. Er can i ask a favor do you know if gundam can get it's own place on here in the anime section? i mean there's many different gundam series & blah dbz got one ... er don't know nothing bout mods though are you the one that can do that sort of thing?

meagan_maxwell is the mod here, so ask her. It would have to be added by an admin, but I know hardly anything about Anime, so I can't decide if it needs it alone. Please try to keep these threads on topic. You can PM a mod or admin, or post a question in the 'Question and Answers' forum. So what other odd shows so you remember?

thanks for the info ^^
er I remember a cartoon it was called zelda... er cept no one's heard of it... um lady lovelilocks (not sure if i spelled it right)
umm.... trying to think... can't think of much more then that... hmm i'll telll ya if i can think of any more heh thanks for the help ^^

God Dave thats a blast from the past. I remember watching that when I was in primary school. he used to have a couple of mates that always wore scuba gear. I used to think why dont they just use the oxygum as well?

Hm with all these old anime's I feel so old
I'm still waiting for dave to find out about that cartoon show >.<

Dredging up a 10 year old post just to say I remember this series well. It was hands down my favorite anime show at that time. Followed by Gigantor and Kimba.

Ive read the series was remastered and rebroadcast in Australia within the last decade. I saw one of the remastered episodes online. The quality of the remaster was spectacular.

Sad this hasn't been made available via legitimate DVD or BluRay. It seems even the Japanese have forgotten about this series.

I didn't know about the red berets, I only saw it in black-and-white.

I loved it, though - come to think of it, I wasn't the only one to comment on his nose, but I didn't know about the anime connection until years later.

The series has finally made its debut on DVD! Can be purchased from Warner Home Video or Amazon. Though it's licensed for North America only. So one would need a region free DVD player in the UK. :eek:

I checked on Amazon, & the three seasons are available on DVDs, but they are burned (to order) rather than stamped. I am just not sure about the longevity of burned discs, otherwise, I would snap them up. I knew a guy who had the Japanese DVDs, & he was complaining that the colors seemed yellow, as I recall.

I have Triton of the Sea, though pure Japanese with no subtitles, & would find the two somewhat comparable.

Absolutely remember Marine Boy. On Channel 5 back when most folks only had 4 network channels and a handful of UHF offerings for TV. Would watch that after school in between Speed Racer (ancient now, but newer than Marine Boy) and Batman or Get Smart. And now you know how old I am. ;)

Of the others mentioned, never really watched Gigantor, but I do remember watching Kimba, Catch the Pigeon, and Wacky Races (still need to download Muttley muttering to my phone...)

Last edited:
"RASUM FRASUM, FRASUM RASUM, RIRTY RICK RASTARDLY" :ROFLMAO: Muttley was one of the few talking dogs that could start a word with other than the letter 'R'!:p

Let's see how good memories really are around here....anybody remember Gigantor?