Anyone remember Marine Boy?

I do! I believe the same or a similar story became a live-action series Americanized as Johnny Sokko & his Giant Robot.

Ye gads, groping in the dark ages. I remember Marine Boy (but I would ;)).

Preferred Catch the Pigeon to Wacky Races though

Yeah, I remember Marine Boy, for my sins. It also serves as a reminder how ancient I've become :(

Love Wacky Races, Dick Dastardly & Mutley. I always wanted the Ant Hill Mob (car 7), to win; but also had a childhood crush on Penelope Pitstop.

Let's see how good memories really are around here....anybody remember Gigantor?

Gigantor was on tv in the late 1960's along with another import Prince Planet . Both of them were better then just about anything prodcued by US Animation studios. Marine Boy was better still because it was also in color.

Wow, this thread is the very definition of a zombie thread!

Both of them were better then just about anything prodcued by US Animation studios.

That's not hard to do. Even today anime is leap years ahead of western cartoons.

Western cultures are still stuck in the mindset that cartoons are for kids and that the only animated shows adults will watch are episodic comedy skits with crude jokes (I'm looking at you South Park). This also goes hand in hand with the mindset that kids aren't intelligent enough to understand deep storylines and well fleshed out characters, and as a consequence, cartoons are dumbed down.

Japan embraced otaku life and made more mature anime to suit them, and as a result we ended up with some real masterpieces, like Clannad, Madoka Magicka, Cowboy Bebop, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate. I could go on...

Last edited:
Space Battleship Yamato a.k.a StarBlazers had a continuing Story arc which was unheard of even in prime time live action US tv series in 1970's.

Yeah, Yamato is one of the anime greats I could have mentioned.

Which spawned a live action film a few years ago. Recently , they did a rebooted Yamato tv
series.

They've also done a CGI Captain Harlock film which looked pretty good.:)

Here, in the Wonderful Land of Oz, they all were aired in around the same period (’sixties). As were Astro Boy, The Samurai and Phantom Agents. But those last two were live action, so they don't count.

I'm sorry, I don't remember Gigantor or Prince Planet or the others.

Not to say they weren't shown on British TV, but back then we had three channels, TV wasn't 24 hours, no VCR, and children's TV only lasted for an hour or so per day...

...and we used to live for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.:p

I'm sorry, I don't remember Gigantor or Prince Planet or the others.

Not to say they weren't shown on British TV, but back then we had three channels, TV wasn't 24 hours, no VCR, and children's TV only lasted for an hour or so per day...

...and we used to live for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.:p

Ahh.. 4:00 to 5:30, then a five minute short like Magic Roundabout(*), Ivor the Engine, Rhubarb and Custard - and then the regional news (before the six o'clock news). Course, that were back when I had to work down mill for 29 hours a day and pay mill owner permission to work. But I were appy.

*I live for the day when this is released on dvd - only have a few episodes on three VHS tapes - should try to get them converted.

Pretty much all the shows listed above use to play in and around The Wee Willy Weber show. It was a children's variety type show (like Checkers and Pogo). It ran for hours after school and some times in the mornings. There was also a lot of Ultra Man.

I do! I believe the same or a similar story became a live-action series Americanized as Johnny Sokko & his Giant Robot.

I loved that show. I always remembered it as Giant Robot but everywhere else in the world (and Hawaii) it was Johnny Sokko & his Flying Robot.

Pretty much all the shows listed above use to play in and around The Wee Willy Weber show. It was a children's variety type show (like Checkers and Pogo). It ran for hours after school and some times in the mornings. There was also a lot of Ultra Man.

I loved that show. I always remembered it as Giant Robot but everywhere else in the world (and Hawaii) it was Johnny Sokko & his Flying Robot.

I have the entire ultra man tv series from the 60's on dvd . This show is a blast to watch and rewatch ! :cool:

Ive seen the Movie person of Johhny Socko a few times , fun stuff ! :cool:

I didn't know this thread existed until today.
I remember Marine Boy mainly, as already mentioned, because of the weird nose.

I went to school with a kid who had a nasty accident and got a large amount of his nose scraped off against a rough concrete wall.
He had what nowadays would be called 'basic' plastic surgery and returned to school a few weeks later with a tiny upturned nose.

He was instantly dubbed "Marine Boy Snout" :)