7.06: Lifeboat

I though it was a good ep. I've decided not to look to far into episodes & enjoy them instead. Really laughed at the point when Janet had the 'boy' in her lap & then the 'Sovereigh' or whomever came about...

Didn't understand the part about the boy being with his father again. Wasn't he suppost to croke? or was he & the rest 'downloaded into the father?

Originally posted by skoon
Didn't understand the part about the boy being with his father again. Wasn't he suppost to croke? or was he & the rest 'downloaded into the father?

I was confused there too. He was downloaded into his Father. I thought he was supposed to die. At least they kept acting like he was supposed to. Then in the next scene he's being downloaded into someone else.

I thought the father couldn't take on any other person so maybe they downloaded Danny's people into himself & then they all died...hence the bit about sacraficing life but 'being together'...???

but then why didn't they just choose one of their other people to take on all the people then all their people would be saved but 2 of them would be like 30 people...

I'm just gonna put my two cence in here and agree with gategeek and a few others. For the first time the whole season, RDA's was noticably absent. Just him sitting in that control room 'watching' was so very 'un' Jack. Jack is a do man.. and if he wasn't allowed in to the isolation room to help Danny that way, he woulda been out in the field, trying to help him that way. I have never known any other instance when Jack just sat and watched one of his friends suffer without trying to do everything in his power to help them.

I'm a major Jack fan, and there for respecting his decision to back down a bit, and for the most part the writers were doing very well... but if it forces them to make Jack out of character, then they shouldn't bother.. because it's less fun this way then it would be if he said he was going fishing for the weekend and didn't show up at all......

I think this episode wasn't so bad!!

When Jack dared Teal'c to say his thing again and Teal'c actually started saying it again, that was just hilarious. And I also liked it when the young boy surfaced. MS performed as if he really was just a six-year-old kiddo. I think he was so cute at that point. TR was really kicking ass as Dr. Fraiser!! Oh man, don't want to meet her in times like that.

I'm gonna watch it again in a minute or so and I think that will make my opinion better or maybe I realize that it wasn't what I expected it to be.

Ciao ;)

:dead:

However I liked the whole Daniel/Smeagol/Gollum split persona thing. I usually enjoy the Daniel talky ones, Holiday is a good example, but this was an little over the top with the yak yak yak.

Some good, some bad.

They did try to tie Jack into the episode by 'placing' him in the ob. room overlooking isolation - a fair attempt to cover up a 'Jack-Lite' episode. I think they did it a bit better in this ep than in some, but there were so many opportunities for good solid Jack-Daniel friendship moments, but, agan, I think some good stuff was left on the floor in editing.

I enjoyed MS' work with the MPD-ish characters. I enjoyed 'Keenaan', especially after having a chance to see the 'younger' version interacting with his father on the ship. I though Michael captured the facial expression and the eyes well. I would imagine it's hard to come up with a multiple load of 'different people' and make them believable when that 'person' may only have a couple of moments of screen time. It doesn't give you a lot of time to build a back-story for each one.

The episode left me hoping that, somehow, the 'people' now sharing one mind would be able to be saved somehow, in the end. Especially father and son.

One of the better eps. this season, IMHO. ;)

Rowan

I watched this again becuase I didn't have a copy on tape without commericials. Man, this is prolly the WORST_EPISODE_EVER!!! It's like one big 42-minute joke! Did MS and PDL get drunk and agreed to some odd bet like "I bet you can't make a horrible episode that is a through-back to 70s over-acting and childish directing". I could have acted better than MS. All of the personalities were totally cliche and juvenile, the pilot guy was the best becuase it wasn't over-acting perse, but he still had the fake accent. The kid and the sovrein were both classic cases of BAD over-acting that make classic 70s Shatner look like Oscar-worthy performances. The guest-star guy was like 10 times better acting-wise than MS in this! PDL chose to shoot this episode with the tilto-cam, skewing everything like a little kid would do if he got ahold of a camera. The only good thing I can think of in this ep was the "Electroencephelogram" gag. More proof that season 7 is several notches below the other seasons of this great show.

I would have liked to see all of SG-1 have this DPD thing going on. Having them ALL dealing with it, and all four having equal screen time without bad directing could have made a GREAT episode. It could have been comparable to Holiday. Also, would have been much easier on all of the actors since they'd really only have to come up with one or two new personalities. Also, seeing there OWN personalities would have worked great to show contrast. This episode is just wasted potential. It could have even been good with the same plot of DJ only having the personalities, if they had ditched the over-acting, had DJ actaully able to talk (he would have been the first to refuse ditching all these poor souls, especially since they might die, this would make for good, classic DJ personality/charecter arc!) and had SG-1 interacting with DJ and his other personlities. I guess they were trying to free up people's schedules by introducing the BS "Medical personell only" ****, but this would not have been the case in the past 6 seasons!

We can't say the C-word, not the bad C-world but the alternate-for-feces C-word, Wow, that is strict! I have heard that on like TV-Y7 cartoons and stuff!

Huh?

Originally posted by beckmen
We can't say the C-word, not the bad C-world but the alternate-for-feces C-word, Wow, that is strict! I have heard that on like TV-Y7 cartoons and stuff!

beckman, I haven't got a clue where you're going with this last post.

Rowan

I agree with Beckman. Lifeboat was a mess, MS chewed the scenary worse then Shatner, Jack was AWOL and it showed. (Sorry Rick, shooting a few scenes with you in an empty room with a 'concerned' look on your face doesn't count, IMHO.)

And as far as I'm concerned, there was no moral dilemma.

I'm not going to get into an argument about the existence of souls, but from what I saw, all that was loaded into Daniel's mind were electronic copies of the dead passengers' memories. Or in other words, they were dead, their souls (if they had any) were long gone, so all the angst about destroying the passengers' lives was nonsense.

Well their bodies were destroyed, but their consciousness were not. So they were alive...remember Janet remarked "Daniel is an vessel for their lives, an lifeboat"?

Well actually, thats the flaw, does an soul(for a lack of a better word) just roam the corridors for an host?

So they were alive...remember Janet remarked "Daniel is an vessel for their lives, an lifeboat"?

That's my point. I simply don't buy that their consciousnesses or souls or whatever were in Daniel's body. IMHO, all Daniel had in him was a copy of their memories, comparable to overwriting a disk, so I don't see the great moral problem.

In 'Holiday'
Janet explained that Daniel and Machello hadn't traded consciousnesses, the machine had merely reprogrammed their brains.
The situation in 'Lifeboat' was similar, IMHO.

I had the same problem with 'Entity' in S4.
Sam's consciousness transferred into an IBM mainframe? I don't think so. Consciousness is a function of brain activity, no brain activity, no consciousness.

Originally posted by Lizzi

That's my point. I simply don't buy that their consciousnesses or souls or whatever were in Daniel's body. IMHO, all Daniel had in him was a copy of their memories, comparable to overwriting a disk, so I don't see the great moral problem.

Well, if it was their memories channeling through Danny, even if everything was fabricated, they were still living through them, and their memories could act like an conscious. Remember the Gamekeeper?

I believe that our minds, our memories, is what make us what we are. The body is just a shell, the mind is the person. Without the mind, the body is worthless, but without the body the person is still whole. These people WERE alive. But that wasn't really a facet of this episode. It was all about saving Danny-boy, damn the consequences. Daniel would have been shouting at Jack again if he would have been allowed to speak.

Ok I thought that this was an ok one.

I thought that MS did really well...loved the little boy... ;)

I must admit that even Im getting a little fed up with the lame reasons that Jack is not around and Im not his biggest fan :rolleyes:
I did say to the person I was watching it with..oh well that will be Jack knocked out all episode when he came back through the gate.

Also really starting to hate the fact that they never really finish the story off!

i think it woudl have been more interesting had it been teal'c that had gotten teh memories instead of daniel. I mean....danny goes crackers is becoming a stargate cliche.

he's gone through the 'no one believes me and thinks i'm nuts' in tbftgog, switches bodies in holiday, goes nuts in need and legacy, gets all meglomaniac in AP and had he been around for s6, i'm sure it would have been daniel seeing the invisible bugs instead of jonas.

Teal'c on the other hand, other than Enemies/Threshold, has yet to be nuts. It would at least have been a different twist on the same old cliched plot of download personalities.

classic trek did it, several times IIRC, b5 did it, ds9 did it, tng did it

if you're gonna retread old plots, one way to keep them interesting is to add a new and unique twist, and teal'c going nuts is a little bit uniquer than danny

on the upside, teryl's scenes were fantastic. I hope they remember them when it's time to submit stuff for awards.

Teryl...

Teryl did great! I especially loved the scene when 'Keenan' starts to cry and she slowly lowers him down to her lap. You could see the mixed messages cross her face: 'I've known this man for a long time - will this upset him?' all the way through 'This is a scared child - let me help.'.

Wonderfully done.

Rowan

I said in an earlier post how I thought everyone had started knocking 'Stargate SG-1' the way Trek fans have been knocking 'Enterprise' for the last couple of years. When shows have been on as long as these, you cannot help but get stories that are a little like another story, there are only so many possible stories to be told.

However, I was disappointed with this one, as it was much too same-y. Daniel going nuts, storing others conciousnesses in one mind....

Maybe it was an old script that was unused and they dug up again, but it should have stayed buried.

"The script looks like it really plays to Michael Shanks' strengths. From what I've seen, he is going to get to play a bunch of these different people. Looks like there are some nice scenes for Teryl Rothery, as well, as Fraiser tries to treat Daniel and all of the various people trapped in his brain."

That was the best part of it. MS is good at this, and we don't get to see TR enough.

I am really missing Jack and his levity

But this had one of the best Jack lines ever - I actually laughed out loud - when he says to Teal'c "I dare you to say that again!"

I really didn't notice the things you said about RDA's absence, but on reflection I guess they are true.

One thing that annoyed me was the change that occurred about 3/4s of the way through. Up until the second appearance of the boy, none of the conciousnesses had any memory of the interactions between Fraiser and the others before them, but suddenly the Sovereign knew what she had just said to the boy.

I know that explaining everything again and again would make boring TV, but there was no reason for the Sovereign to know what he knew, and the later scene with the boy's father would then be different.

At first, they seemed to be unsure if Daniel was nuts, but they also mentioned the possibility of him being a Goa'uld, and instantly dismissed it. I think if they had developed that aspect of the story more, then it could have possibly been more interesting.

Perhaps...

Perhaps the other personalities did know what was going on but were too afraid to speak out or too cowed by the presence of thier Sovereign to speak. Keenan, being a child, might not have had those same fears and he seemed comforted by Janet's presence. Later the engineer deemed to remember so perhaps his need to be of service to his ship and it's passengers was the focal point for him.

It would have made a better episode, IMHO, if it had been longer and with more interaction between everyone. It's difficult to shove a complex storyline into 44 some off minutes of screen time.

Rowan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Critiques 17
Winters_Sorrow Reviews & Interviews 1