7.06: Lifeboat

Arc_Angel

Mr. Flibble is very cross
Lifeboat

BIG SPOILERS

From Gateworld
SG-1 discovers an alien ship crashed on a planet. Daniel is overtaken by some of the crew members -- they have hijacked his brain. Daniel is becoming ill. Carter suggests to the commander that they can help get them to another world.

From SG1_Spoilme
When SG1 goes to a barren planet, they investigate an abandoned ship
full of frozen bodies. The mission goes awry when Daniel's body
is 'hijacked' by aliens whose own bodies are gone, but their
personalities were stored in a databank. Apparently these aliens are
survivors of a dying world. Parrin, one of the few living bodies on
the ship, willing lets other intelligences 'live' in him, but Daniel
is being driven insane by his new occupants. Parrin may be able to
save Daniel, but will the cost be too high?

Thanx to Gateworld and SG-1_Spoilme for the info

For more info look to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme

Wow, this sounds like a story Michael can sink his teeth into...looking forward to seeing him act in that one, but I'm not very happy about the plot.
Although I love Michael doing angsty and it is a treat to watch this actor I don't like the idea of Daniel 'going crazy once again'.

We had Need, we had Legacy, we had The Light, we had Holiday. In every single one of those Daniel was either posessed/addicted or his body taken over.

I was hoping for more original plotlines this upcoming season...

BIG SPOILERS

From Gateworld
"The team finds a wrecked spaceship, and while investigating it they all pass out. Help is sent to bring them home. Teal'c is fine, but O'Neill and Carter are still out. Daniel wakes, but is groggy and out of it. It soon becomes apparent that Daniel is not alone inside his head.

"Somehow the computer aboard the ship -- a lifeboat ship that was ferrying people in cryogenic suspension from their dying world to a new home -- has downloaded the personalities and memories of a dozen of it's passengers into Daniel's brain. Dr. Fraiser worries that if they don't manage to extract all the other people from Daniel's mind, he will go mad -- or worse, die. Unfortunately, all of these people's bodies have been destroyed and it looks like the only way to save Daniel will be to kill his 12 passengers, all of whom are aware of what's going on and able to take temporary control of Daniel's body to speak through him.

"One of these people is a young child, the son of Parrin, the ship's captain, who has survived in cryo and is the only one who knows how to extract everyone from Daniel's brain.

"The script looks like it really plays to Michael Shanks' strengths. From what I've seen, he is going to get to play a bunch of these different people. Looks like there are some nice scenes for Teryl Rothery, as well, as Fraiser tries to treat Daniel and all of the various people trapped in his brain."

and from SG1_Spoilme
LIFEBOAT (aka "Voices") [OW] [E]
Written by: Brad Wright
Directed by: Peter DeLuise

When SG1 goes to a barren planet, they investigate an abandoned ship full of
frozen bodies. The mission goes awry when Daniel's body is 'hijacked' by
aliens whose own bodies are gone, but their personalities were stored in a
databank. Apparently these aliens are survivors of a dying world. Parrin, one
of the few living bodies on the ship, willing lets other intelligences 'live'
in him, but Daniel is being driven insane by his new occupants. Parrin may be
able to save Daniel, but will the cost be too high? His son is one of the
personalities trapped within Daniel's body.

UPDATE: After the 'hijacking', the team returns back to base. O'Neill and
Carter are unconscious, and Daniel isn't really Daniel, having been taken
over by a dozen new 'tenants.' Unfortunately, at least one of them definitely
does not want to be evicted.

Thanx to Gateworld and SG1_Spoilme for the info
For more info look to www.gateworld.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/

I dunno, I agree with Summer. Besides, isn't it bad enough there's Gs running around wanting to occupy your head, now these guys... sounds ...Almost like a recycled story...:rolleyes: but I'll wait & watch I guess before passing too much judgement

Originally posted by skoon
....but I'll wait & watch I guess before passing too much judgement

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.
I'm sure Michael will be stellar and I hope for some good angsty scenes, it's just that (as you said) the plot sounded almost recycled.

But let's wait and see...:D :D

Apparently Jack, Sam and Teal'c will be pretty adament about getting those intelligences out of Daniel's head. They lost him for a year and don't want to lose him again. I was wishing for some great friendship scenes this season so who am I to whine? :D :D

Thanks for the link.

Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised by this ep.
Whenever I expect an ep to be great, I end up feeling let down,
but since this one isn't overly hyped. . . you know.

Yeah, I noticed the actors speaking very highly of Heroes and Lifeboat. So I'm really looking forward to seeing that one.

Apparently Brad had written it some time ago with Daniel in mind because it 'would only work with Daniel', but had to put it away when MS left.
I'm wondering what that means. Maybe just that he wanted MS to do it 'cos Michael does that sort of thing very well.
Or maybe there's more to it.

Guess we'll have to wait and see....;)

Additional Spoilers

Additional spoilers can be found here:
"Lifeboat"

My thanks to SG-1 Solutions for the link.

Rowan

i was quite concerned about this ep after seeing the previews and at first, i thought my worst fears had been realized - the dramatic, palsied scream on the ship was particularly shatner-esque. :erm:
but i did get more used to it after awhile (though the accent continued to annoy me - can't you be an arrogent jerk without a pseudo british accent?) i thought he did a good job with trion and the boy.

daniel and janet were definitely in the spotlight in this one so you knew it would be relatively jack-less. they DID explain his whereabouts this time but it still seemed unnatural to have him just sitting in the observation room not interacting with anyone for most of the ep. the "being there for daniel" thing doesn't wash with me coz he wasn't actually "with" daniel - he was sitting behind a 2 way mirror -and since he wasn't actively involved i can't see him justifying sitting there watching while the rest of his team are at risk back on that planet. he's the leader of SG1 - as much as he might LIKE to sit and keep watch, he does have a responsibility to his other team members. i compare this ep to Season Four's "The Light" - in that ep Daniel
was slipping into a coma in the infirmary. would it have been appropriate or realistic for jack to sit and keep watch while sending sam and teal'c back to the planet to figure it out?

i liked the father/son scenes and i'm glad they didn't kill off the boy though i'll admit it did lessen the impact of the whole "sacrifice" scene that had preceded it. it seems like i've seen the guy who played pherrin somewhere before. does anyone know?
shanilka

Not bad ---

I liked it --- missed the very beginning the first time, but got it the 2nd time ---

Michael Shanks did quite well -- though, yeah - the pseudo British accent was kinda buggin' ---

I'm still not entirely sure what this episode was supposed to accomplish -- it seemed much more 'character' driven than plot - or something - I don't know - it was just odd --- I mean, "YEAH!" on the Janet getting some screen time thing, but what was the whole point? You know?

Did anybody think MS' scream was very reminiscent of William Shatner at his 'Captain' Kirk loudest? I thought that his portrayal of the many personalities inhabiting him was hilariously funny in parts. Overacting at it's 'Shatner' finest! I think this was the bit which I cringed at, like I do when I watch John Cleese in Fawlty Towers, or Data when he had to portray all of those Incan gods in a very cheesy ST TNG eppy!

Sam seemed, well, sort of peripheral and I wish someone would attack her with a styling brush and some hair smoother-outer! What's with the bouffant, fluffy hairstyle? It honestly doesn't suit her face at all. It's the fattest part of her. God that was pretty shallow of me wasn't it?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Teryl was the best in here, but when she shouted at the sovereign chappie about taking Daniel's body back, she sounded like she had a bad case of PMS. It was nice to see her get a meaty part though.

Teal'c........well what can one say. He had his 15 minutes of fame in Orpheus and now he's back to superior smirking in the background. He also sounds like he weighs a ton as he pounds down the corridors of the ship. Clump............clump...........clump. Did someone put lead weights in his shoes or something? The guy is not light on his feet.

The one thing I will say is that despite the best efforts of the production team, RDA's absence is noticeable. Not so much because he's not in evidence in the episodes, but because his scenes are so obviously done at some other time and all in one go to allow him his reduced work schedule. Because he's not really interacting with anybody (except in the few scenes with Hammond and Teal'c) he comes over as rather wooden. I think RDA needs real people to interact with, not 'blue screens'. He needs other personalities to 'bounce off' in order to give a realistic performance.

All in all a 'bleh' sort of episode. Not quite sure how it added to the Stargate world and its future formation. Seemed to be in existence to showcase Michael and his Shatneresque performance. I found the switch between the personalities quite well portrayed, but some of the actual personalities I found irritating beyond belief. I was quite relieved to see it end, although I did have my finger hovering on the 'stop' button all the way through.

;)

I think it was a good episode. Specially a good one for Michael, he really do a good work. Another plus is that we get to see more of Janet.

Krystal :D

LOL @ Anni

Oh yes, very shatner-esque. (now isn't that a mark of fame, to have your acting style be named after you)

Janet was great, and believe it or not, teal'c actually had a line or two.

I found the father's performance enthralling, amost hypnotic to watch...like smeagol and golem without the cgi.

There was a bit of a sam/teal'c scene and yes, jack was noticibly lite. I'm thinking they taped this the same time they did revisions, daniel and janet off while jack and teal'c were off and sam was with pallen.

Plotwise....somewhat predictible. the second we saw the flashback to the kid my friend was 'it's the dad'

all in all, not one i'm gonna rewind the tape for...then again i have yet to rewind the tape on any of the eps this season save fragile balance

This was another disapointing episode, I am really missing Jack and his levity. Also, MS was too over the top and campy, and WTF they just glazed over the obvious moral dilemma of killing off all those people. In earlier seasons that would be a major plot point!

I liked Teal'c in this, his few lines were pretty funny and that breif interaction with Jack in the observation room was a nice reminder of how things used to be before RDA decided to ruin our lives.

Stargate has a habit of recycling old plots. A lot of episodes center around some alien taking over, inhabiting, or controlling one or all of the team members' minds. This was no exception.

Also, once the crew decides what the actor's forte is, they seem to focus on that. RDA gets to be in the lime light in episodes involving kids as a rule. MS gets all the 'going crazy' eps. Christopher gets the family conflict episodes. Amanda tends to lead the episodes where the team meets technologically advanced races.

This episode did have some good points, despite questionable plot. Dr. Fraiser got some screen time, the actor who played the dad gave an excellent performance, and although MS was a little over the top, he didn't do too badly either.

I agree about Jack. I have a problem believing he would just sit on the side lines, orders or not, while Daniel's in trouble.

Teal'C was good, the scene between him and Jack in the observation room was good. I would have liked to see him do something more though.

RDA has been doing this for almost seven years. I can understand why he wants a little time off. I'm glad he didn't leave the show, even though were are seeing less of him. It's good to know he's still dedicated to keeping Stargate alive.

I thought this episode was okay-ish. TR was really good in it. It was nice to see her get the spotlight for a change. MS began to annoy me about 10 minutes into the episode. His accents are always awful (*thinks back the dreadful german accent in '1969'*).

RDA absence is alot more noticable than I though it would be. I found myself watching every scene and thinking, "Why isn't Jack here".

They're going to have to come up with soooo many excuses throughout this season to eplain why he isn't on missions, or hanging around on the base. It'll be quite funny to see what they coem up with.

Honestly, not being a MS fan, I was quite surprised with this episode. I really thought it was one of his best performances yet. I think the year off did him well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Critiques 17
Winters_Sorrow Reviews & Interviews 1