Recomend ur favorite book

Status
Not open for further replies.

timdgreat

For the Emperor
Recomend ur favortie book

I figure that it is easier if we have a thread where we can just recomend all our favorite books and authors;)

Here are some of my favorites

1. The honor Harrington Series by David WEber

2. most books by Harry Turtledove.

And
3. The Star WArs series The New Jedi Order:p:rolly2:

Would like to recommend "Protector" by Larry Niven,of Ring World fame.:cool:
A brief synopsis would be,"biblical,darwinian,first-contact;60's sci-fi."
One not to be missed,in my humble opinion.

Crime novels by Michael Connelly. I would recommend ANY of the Det. Hieronymus Bosch ones (there are about 9), they're amazing.

Any book by Derek Robinson. His books are about WW1 and WW2 fighter squadrons and they are excellent, very very funny, very serious and generally a great read.

'The Iliad' by Homer is also a good book, there are a number of translations, the copy I have was first published in 1614, so it is an antiquated translation for an antiquated text ;) but there are more modern translations, I warn you though, it is no small feat it is pretty big and not the easiet text to read, but it really all depends on the translation you buy. I'd recomend it..

Just to tell u all most of the books if not all i recommend are about WAr in some way;)

here are some more

4. The harry Potters, (yes i know most people think of them as kids books, but they are actually quiet good if u havent read them)

5. The Lord of the Rings books and the hobbit, (might not like them if i cant stand lots of information at once)

6. Warhammer 40K

7. 1945 (tis an alternate history book for WW2, is very well done, unfortunatley a sequel has not yet been written) By Newt Gingrich and some guy i cant remember

8. Enders GAme, by Orson scott card

9. Most of the Tom Clancy books ;)

well thats it for now ill try and think of some mroe latter

:rolly2:

Glad this thread is here as I am very picky about my reading - moslty cuz I aint got much time.

So, please recommend any books you think I may enjoy. Here's the books I have read.

Asimov - All 5 Foundation books (excellent)

Heinlein - The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (excellent)

JR Tolkien - Ring Tillogy and Hobbit

Brin - Uplife Triloty (mediocre)

David Weber - Honor Harrington (first three - not bad), and the Dahak Series (excellent), as well as Apocalypse Troll (excellent).

Shatner - Forget name of book, takes place right after Generations (excellent)

Zahn - Official follow on Trillogy following Return of the Jedi (excellent)

Clark - Rama series (mediocre - except for first one which was great)

I remember reading the entire Dragon Lance series when I was a teenager. Not bad. I prefer scifi over fantasy.

I like stories that are in series and contain strong overall story-arcs.

Any recommendations for further reading?

well if u like any books on WW2 i would suggest the authors Gerald AStor and Stephen E Ambrose, they have written many good books such as Citzen soldier:rolly2:

My overall, general book recommendations:

1) Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files -- Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, and Summer Knight - all very well written and can work as either a series or as independent stories -

2) Raymond Chandler - anything - he's just so much fun. His books are detective / mystery but they're fun.

3) James Patterson - anything except 'Season of the Machete' - that one just wasn't as good as the others of his I've read.

I'll be back later with some others -----

I know these aren't all SF / Fantasy - but I read all kinds of stuff...

I recommend anything by Patricia Cornwell, she's a truly brilliant crime author :)

My favourite novels are the classics Pride and Prejudice and Emma from Jane Austen. Not sure if we're supposed to stick to sci-fi/crime/thriller/horror recs here but thought i'd stick those two in anyway :D

x x x

I'm probably the only guy around that likes Pride and Prejudice. I preface this by saying it's the ONLY chick flick I like.

EDIT: Well, Emma was OK too.:eek:

John Ringo - EVERYTHING. This is the best military sci-fi I have ever read.

John Steakly (I think thats his name) - Armor. AWSOME

David Eddings - The Belgariad (5 books) and The Mallorian (5 books). The best overall books I have ever read.

Some of my author recommendations:
Tolkien, J.R.R. (should go without saying)
Brin, David (Uplift series and Kil'n people; good but a little too heavy and metaphysics at points)
Clarke, Arthur C. (Rama, Moondust and a few short stories; haven't read much, but like what i have read so far)
Pratchett, Terry (great series of discworld books, and some good other novels)

I would also recomend the Dune series by Frank Herbert

and the Prequels by his Son Brian Herbert

both VERY good series:rolly2:

This is a good idea for a thread, but very difficult. I don’t have a favourite book, or even a favourite author. Also, there must be better books out there that I just haven’t read yet, so I can only comment on those I have. Here is a selection anyway:

People have already mentioned the ‘Dune’ books, Tolkien, ‘Harry Potter’, Orson Scott Card, Arthur C Clarke, Robert A Heinlein and Larry Niven. I second all those, but my favourite ‘Larry Niven’ novels would be ‘Destiny’s Road’ or ‘A Gift from Earth’. Lots of good short stories by him, but ‘The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton’ series, the ‘Flight of the Horse’ series or ‘Inconstant Moon’ would be worth finding. I also like the ‘Man-Kzin War’ books by various different authors.

If you like Harry Potter, try GP Taylor’s ‘Shadowmancer’ and he has a new book out later this year.

If you like Tolkien, try Stephen Donaldson’s ‘Chronicles of Thomas Covenant’. Also any Michael Moorcock, but especially ‘Elric’.

PK Dick has many good short stories. The novel ‘The Man in the High Castle’ is excellent.

Ray Bradbury writes great short stories. HG Wells is surprisingly still good. Apart from those obvious titles by him, try ‘The Sleeper Awakes.’

John Wyndham still holds up. ‘The Chrysalids’ and ‘The Midwitch Cuckoos’ would be my suggestions. Also George Orwell – read ‘Animal Farm’ and ‘1984’.

Anything by Michael Crichton, but especially ‘Jurassic Park’ and ‘Timeline’.

Jeffrey Archer is a good read too, I wouldn’t loan him money, but he can certainly write a good book.

Iain M Banks – all his ‘Culture’ SF is good. ‘Use of Weapons’ I liked best. His non-SF books as Iain Banks are also good. ‘Whit’ is the best of those I’ve read.

Harry Harrison – any ‘Stainless Steel Rat’ book, ‘Make Room, Make Room’ and the ‘Deathworld’ series.

Joe Haldeman – ‘The Forever War’ and ‘The Forever Peace’ (not sequels and both good)

Any of the ‘Flashman’ series by George McDonald Fraser.

Nick Hornby – ‘High Fidelity’ and ‘Fever Pitch’.

Jeff Noon is good – ‘Pollen’, ‘Vurt’ and ‘Automated Alice’. Also William Gibson. I’m just beginning to read Neal Stephenson, but ‘The Diamond Age’ was excellent.

Colin Dexter's 'Inspector Morse' novels.

I read a lot of travel books. Anything by Bill Bryson or Pete McCarthy is great.

I’m sure that I’ve missed loads, but that is enough anyway.

The Star Rover by Jack London
Past Master by R A Lafferty
Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison
Conan The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E Howard.

We already have several more current book recommendation threads. This one has issues with formatting because of the differences between the earlier forum software used, and the emojis that were available then, so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.